All-In-Wonder X800XT cooling block?

r00k

2[H]4U
Alright, I have been scouring all over the forums and strenuously enlisted the help of my friend Google, but I am not coming up with what i need to see.

I have begun looking for and buying parts to water cool my main rig. My rig is my hobby, so i love doing this stuff. My goal is a high flow, powerful system (whose isn't?). So I want to go completely 1/2" ID tubing and components.

What I have:
Danger Den Black Ice Xtreme Chrome Radiator
Danger Den TDX Copper CPU Block

What I plan on getting:
Danger Den DD12v-D5 pump
Reservoir to be determined
GPU Block

Now my problem is this: I have an ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder X800XT, which overclocks beautifully, but i want more consistent temps that can be had with water. Almost every gpu block i find seems to be for x800xt and down, but says "Not compatible with All-in-Wonder at this time" and so on. The other problem i run into, is that they have 3/8 or 1/4 inch fittings, which will definitely not work for me.

[H]elp me out please!!

its entirely possible that they are talking about all-in-wonder 9800 and down cards. From what I've seen, the AIW x8xt has the same hsf as the normal x800? Take a picture of the card with the heatsink off, showing the mounting holes and I can tell you if a block will fit.

pictures (thankfully, cuz i didnt wanna pull it apart again) provided by newegg

Here

what is it that makes the card different enough to be incompatible with gpu blocks made for regular x800xt's?

from looking at that picture, I would say it will fit. The reason the All-in-wonder cards are listed as incompatible, is because they traditionally have large silver casings for the coaxial input which interferes with the heatsink and would require modification to the waterblock. The x800xt AIW card appears to not posess those though so I'd go for it.

I felt very skeptical of this incompatibility, and decided to go ahead and find out the [H]ard way...

And I am glad i did. Hot DAYUM this block is sexy. The picture does not do it justice. Although I don't have my pump yet, (stupid backorder) i have all the other parts necessary, so i decided to try this out as proof of concept. The installation went almost perfectly:

ddaiwsm.jpg

The hitch comes on the back side. The lucite brace used to even out the pressure of the downward force of the gpu block (this sucker is heavy) will get in the way slightly of the agp bus connector to the mainboard. My plan is to shave just a bit off, and all should be hunkie dorie. I could turn the brace upside down, however it will get in the way of the bottom piece of ram, which i am planning on water cooling ( :eek: oops, don't want to give away how this might become possible just yet until some details are worked out)

ddaiwbacksm.jpg

In conclusion, I feel it is safe to say you can indeed use a Danger Den Maze 4 GPU water block on the x800xt all in wonder cards.

Back