All in one WMC/TV/Receiver remote?

BartY

Limp Gawd
My 5-6 year old Harmony remote is starting to give up the ghost and the inexpensive wireless keyboard I bought to use with WMC is getting erratic in its operation.

I am wondering if there is a good solution available to combine everything into one remote? Tablet based solutions (wife and I have iPads) but something that has its own remote in addition to would be more ideal for dealing with house guests, babysitters, etc.

Nothing exotic equipment wise, Samsung LCD, Pioneer AVR and a Panasonic BluRay player.

Get a Harmony One refurb off Amazon. I replaced my H1 with a refurb and I'm convinced it's better than my original. I'm ordering another. The remote case/screen plastic is brand new, battery's brand new etc.

And it will handle media center fine with an appropriate IR receiver?

I have the newer logitech harmony smart control. It comes with a simple remote, as well as allows me to use my android/iOS device to control my entertainment center over wifi.

I use the simple remote on the couch, but if my gf is staying up watching a movie that's too loud, i can turn down the volume from my iphone (or better yet, turn off the tv).

I think you want to get on the upside of technology not down side. Get a harmony link or another IR emitter device and run it off any smart phone or tablet. using unified remote it can control your HTPC in just about any way you please. Another option is to get a smart phone or tablet like the galaxy s4 with a built in IR emitter. In all cases using apps to control everything and an IR emitter for the items that have no wifi control.

Those new Hamonys suck - just read the reviews. Horrible button placement. Many pissed buyers.
And using my phone to change my TV channels or volume? Seriously? Just because you can doesn't mean you want to.

I've always liked Harmony remotes, especially before they were bought by Logitech. Great remotes. But as mentioned by Brahmzy, make sure you like the button placement on whichever remote you buy.

Those new Hamonys suck - just read the reviews. Horrible button placement. Many pissed buyers.
And using my phone to change my TV channels or volume? Seriously? Just because you can doesn't mean you want to.

To be frank, it is the same general concept as Logitech's previous touchscreen remotes, except it runs on a phone or tablet. I actually like how smartphones and tablets are increasingly used as interfaces for operating other devices remotely. Since I already have it in the room with me, why not use it to control your TV?

I will agree on the poor button placement, but now my brain has rewired itself and is used to it. I can't go back to having 3 remotes.

Back