All games are running choppy with Crossfire enabled

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
What's up with that :p? is this the dreaded "micro stutter", even though these games run smooth enough with a single card, (x fire disabled) when i enable it, it gets choppy.

Battlefield BC2, Lineage 2 are the 2 games

6970 xfire
3 x u2311h in eyefinity aswell.

Not sure if it's microstutter or not, but I usually enable vsync in all my games to ensure the smoothest gameplay experience possible.

FPS are great, in the 80s for BC2, and in the 50s for lineage 2.

I Tried with Vsync on, it did not fix the issue.

I'm using 11.4 Preview with 11.3 CAP3s.

I had a single 6970 before adding a second. The single card was running fine, however some games need some help @ 3530 x 1920(bezel corrected) which is why I decided to go for a second card.

Previous to the 6970 I had a 5970 :p

May be a dumb question but you're running the newest CFX profiles right? With my 5970 I was getting 70 fps in bad company 2 and I updated the catalyst CFX profiles, hadn't ever dl them, and they jumped to 140fps on a single monitor.

I have 2x6970 and play BC2 at 5760x1080 very well.
Try these settings and tell us if you have any problems.
open setting.ini here C:\Users\123\Documents\BFBC2

[WindowSettings]
Width=5760
Height=1080
Fullscreen=true
RefreshRate=60
VSync=false
[Sound]
Quality=high
VoipEnable=false
SpeakerCount=0
[Graphics]
Effects=high
Soldiers=high
Vehicles=high
Overgrowth=high
Undergrowth=high
StaticObjects=high
Terrain=high
Shadows=high
Bloom=false
HSAO=false
MSAA=0
Water=high
MainQuality=custom
Texture=high
DxVersion=auto
Aniso=0
Detail=high
RenderAheadLimit=2
Fov=30

Last edited:
I run two 6950's and haven't noticed any sort of microstutter yet! I haven't ahd the chance to play many games though >< Most BFBC2.

The real confusion for me comes from the fact that a single 6970 can play it fine, however when I enable crossfire, without increasing quality, I get the choppy-ness, I'm wondering if the crossfire bridge I'm using is defective, I can always try swapping it or adding a second.

Try downloading radeonpro and using the bioshock crossfire profile. I'm not sure if this would allow you play online though.

I'm not sure how much this will matter but I looked up your mobo and according to its specs, it only runs CF at x4 speeds which I believe will create a small performance hitch, though im not sure how serious it could be or if thats your problem. Running a single card is x16 but x4 in CF. Source --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136034

Though reading it again, maybe there is a possibility that running in CF causes slot 2 to run at full 16 and slot 4 only runs at x4 which could definately cause problems if slot 2 isn't dropping down to x4 speeds...

Go into CCC>Information>Hardware and check to see what speed both cards are running at with crossfire enabled. If they don't match then I would think that could be the problem.

I've been running CF6970s for a bit and play a lot of BC2 and have no stuttering issues.

Also saw this on one of the reviews on Newegg and noticed your system is overclocked, not sure if this applies to you, "pcie bus unstable @ 100mhz with high overclocks, wouldn't work past 440fsb,computer reboots after few minutes of cpu load @ 95-100%
." Try reverting back to stock speeds and see if that reduces the choppiness.

Edit: Just realized this is not the OP's board...im an idiot, though the information may still apply to you possibly, lol.

Last edited:
from a multi gpu veteran that sounds like micro stutter, but the root cause maybe something unrelated to the cards themselves. 16/4 cf is likely the culprit.

What link speeds are your cards getting? I dont see a sig so I dont know what you are running it on.

16x oe 8x will be fine but some form of 16/4 or 8/4 will be awful.

Sorry for lack of info

I'm running the cards on a p6x58d premium, 16/8x currently ,I had it in 16x/16x but moved it to accommodate my sound card, it was choppy with 16x/16x as well, so that was not it ::)

i7 920 @ 4ghz
12GB DDR3 1600
XFI Prelude sound card
3 u2311s hooked up via DP (one of the 6970s is an Asus Direct CU2 with 4 dp outs)
Hope this helps =)

I'm starting to think this is an Eyefinity issue, when I run a lower rez (eg 19xx * 1xxx) accross 3 monitors, it's still choppy, when I run that rez on a single monitor, all of a sudden things are smooth as butter.

Back