ALL G84 AND G86 MOBILE CHIPS ARE DEFECTIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inquirer. They've been known to try really hard to make Nvidia sound bad. Who is their source I wonder?

Wait for other news sites to post something about this. If you don't hear anything -- well, that's because there isn't any problem.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c01087277&dlc=en - Hp's note.
http://hpnotebooksettlement.com/ - HP settlement.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad - article that tipped me off.
I know the Inq doesnt particuly like Nvidia but with their annoucement and all the other info... Its not looking to far fetched.

From the other thread.
Its not just Inq having a go. A class action suit on HP. Dell are replacing motherboards. There is something definatly not good in green land.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07/07/nvidia-warns-of-high-failure-rates/1

The news is spreading. Seems alot is still under wraps. Nvidia know that announcing that all 84 and 86 are shafted wont do them any good. Given that HP lists all the ranges of its laptops and some checking showing that Macs will be affected too... I'd not be happy as a Nvidia shareholder.

Wonder if Steve could do some digging? I'd like to know the real story. Cause if Inq have it right... Nvidia is about to have 2yrs of hell. (up to 6 in the uk. We can return "not fit for purpose" goods. I did it for my busted caps motherboard. Had to threaten to take my CC company to court for it but got there in end)

Shamelessly copied from the other thread. I had no idea that [H] didnt know about this issue. I've been looking into it as my other half's lappy is making odd bluescreens. It started with nvidia drivers and now its getting worse and randomly bluescreening. It is dumping out rather alot of heat too. I've contacted Acer and am awaiting their response on the issue. (Her lappy is a 5920G)

My G1S-A1 with an 8600M stopped producing any video just two days ago...monitor won't display, and neither will the external VGA...

All sources point to the graphics card...I have already sent it in for RMA, I have two years left on my warranty, and that is PLENTY of time to play "laptop-tag" with Asus and nVidia...I hope Asus rips them a new one.

nVidia has been f*cking people over for years, not only with their pricing/naming scheme but their manipulative, scheduled upgrade timelines. Their products have become extravagantly expensive compared to what you got for your money a few years ago, and their mobile lineup is garbage. I am sick of them and hope they get everything they have coming.

My G1S-A1 with an 8600M stopped producing any video just two days ago...monitor won't display, and neither will the external VGA...

All sources point to the graphics card...I have already sent it in for RMA, I have two years left on my warranty, and that is PLENTY of time to play "laptop-tag" with Asus and nVidia...I hope Asus rips them a new one.

nVidia has been f*cking people over for years, not only with their pricing/naming scheme but their manipulative, scheduled upgrade timelines. Their products have become extravagantly expensive compared to what you got for your money a few years ago, and their mobile lineup is garbage. I am sick of them and hope they get everything they have coming.

NVidia last week announced major overheating issues with laptop GPUs, but I don't think they ever said which ones.

NVidia last week announced major overheating issues with laptop GPUs, but I don't think they ever said which ones.

Thats exactly what happened last week to me, the major overheating issues started to cause huge video problems.

Bad news.... hopefully my 8800M isn't affected by this... seems to stay nice and cool according to Everest though...

That's just Charlie's speculation. There are clearly batch(es) that have problems, but nothing suggests *all G84 and G86* chips are defective, which Charlie is claiming applies to desktop chips too. That's simply not true.

BTW, shouting in thread titles is obnoxious.

Just spoke with Dell, this is a documented issue. They will be replacing my motherboard on Monday (I assume the video card is built into the mobo?)

I haven't heard anything about the 8800Ms being included in the problem. Mine has been folding all week and it sits at about 65C so it;s not acting up at all at this point

Rayman, how long have you had your laptop? Wonder if it will be replaced with another potentially faulty chip or if they've fixed the issues with new revisions.

I'll keep the H posted on the status of my RMA...I am hoping to get an upgraded machine back.

I wonder if the 9500M's are running cooler than the 8600's?

My thinkpad with the 570M (pretty sure it's just a rebranded/modified 8400) has been experiencing odd blue screens too during demanding video processing. I think I'm going to have to call lenovo on this, but I'm the kind of person that would rather bang his head into a wall then talk to tech support so I'm going to make damn sure its the gpu first.

Hey,

I bought an Acer (i know i should have known it :rolleyes:) Aspire 7720G. There is a 8600GT 512mb Grafics card build in (aka g84m). I started playing CoD 4 again, and I was majorly dissapointed. I had to turn down all details and Screenresolution to 800x600 to play it smoothly. Then my notebook started failing, meaning it overheatet and turned itself off. I send it back to acer, and they replayed my fan.

How long ago was this issue discovered?

I guess i am going to start emailing with acer again...

Wow, I was disappointed when I parted ways with my MacBook Pro a few weeks ago. Guess I got lucky to have sold it before these 8600M GT troubles kicked in. Also glad I didn't get a replacement yet. I was going to get a Dell M1330 or Asus F8-c1. Not now!!!

Rayman, how long have you had your laptop? Wonder if it will be replaced with another potentially faulty chip or if they've fixed the issues with new revisions.

Ordered it last August. That's what I'm worried about. I'm afraid that they'll stick a new mobo in there with the same faulty chip that'll break immediately or after a year.

Ordered it last August. That's what I'm worried about. I'm afraid that they'll stick a new mobo in there with the same faulty chip that'll break immediately or after a year.

HP and apparently Dell have been replacing them with other motherboards. Some lucky guy got his p4 2.8 lappy replaced with a core2duo and ati card.

HP and apparently Dell have been replacing them with other motherboards. Some lucky guy got his p4 2.8 lappy replaced with a core2duo and ati card.

Hmm. Dude is coming tuesday. Montevina (Centrino 2) comes out Monday...

Man, I wish!

bad to hear these news, only a week ago got new ThinkPad T61 with nvs140 (g84m)... :(

Hmm maybe I'll be calling dell about the 5150 I have with a failed mobo and Nvidia graphics.

snip

Uh-oh..I have one of these as well. Bought it in Nov 07...no issues yet - how long have you had yours? Do you use an after-market cooling pad of any kind?

Man, with the new ATI 4800 series for desktops and now this issue of defective G84 and G86 laptop chips, Nvidia's has taken a tomahawk power bomb to its long undisputed dominance in the GPU arena.

Gotta luv free market competition!!! :D

Uh-oh..I have one of these as well. Bought it in Nov 07...no issues yet - how long have you had yours? Do you use an after-market cooling pad of any kind?

I had nothing after-market, I even had the thing up on a laptop/desktop stand...it got plenty of airflow, etc...I have had it exactly one year, bought it in June or July or something last year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back