All Digital Xbox One S Could Launch May 7

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Following up on previous reports claiming that Microsoft could unveil a disc-less Xbox One in April, Windows Central allegedly got their hands on some photographs of the upcoming console, and recreated them in Photoshop to protect their source. "Additional documents" they obtained suggest that the new Xbone could launch on May 7 in a "global simultaneous release," but as we've noted with some of our own predictions, exact launch dates can be fuzzy this far ahead of time. The publication thinks that Microsoft is positioning this as a replacement to the original Xbox One, rather than a replacement to the newer disc-based consoles.

The design of the Xbox One S All-Digital appears to be virtually identical to the current Xbox One S, without the disc drive and eject button. The product shots we received seem to indicate that it will come with a 1TB HDD and with Forza Horizon 3, Sea of Thieves, and Minecraft digital codes bundled into the box. It doesn't look as though it will be bundled with Microsoft's Netflix-like subscription service for games, Xbox Game Pass. Our information suggests that the Xbox One S All-Digital edition will have the lowest recommended retail price (RRP) of all current Xbox One consoles, aimed at newcomers to the ecosystem, although the exact pricing is unknown at this time.

the path to killing the "resale / used games" market begins

That ship sailed long ago. Gamestop and its parent have been trying to destroy that for a long time. PC games haven't been a used market in many moons. Time for console peasants to get used to it as well.

That ship sailed long ago. Gamestop and its parent have been trying to destroy that for a long time. PC games haven't been a used market in many moons. Time for console peasants to get used to it as well.

Why would Gamestop try and destroy resale? That's their whole business model or did you fail to notice they sell used games for $5 less than new retail and pay pennies on the dollar for them.

Why would Gamestop try and destroy resale? That's their whole business model or did you fail to notice they sell used games for $5 less than new retail and pay pennies on the dollar for them.

Okay you missed it, they aren't TRYING to destroy it, they just are doing it unintentionally. Used to be stores everywhere you could trade in old games and get a decent amount on them, they all started vanishing and gamestops taking their place ripping off customers.

This is fairly retarded. I've seen some comments about people saying they can't wait for this.
What's stopping you from buying a xbox now and just download games to it? Absolutely nothing at the moment. I'm not sure where taking away a 20$ piece of hardware really relates to savings

Well, this has been the case with online play activations and the like to curb used sales. As for the digital only, this might not be bad if games cost less or at least go on sale often like Steam. Pretty much nearly all games need massive day one downloads anyway so the whole disc/offline play is unlikely a concern for most gamers.

It's not like Microsoft is killing disc gaming... I haven't bought a computer game on dvd in a decade. We've seen sony, nvidia, google, microsoft, steam etc all talking about streaming games. We have hugely popular free-to-play discless games like fortnite, apex, dota 2, etc... Our phones, tablets, and laptops don't have dvd/bluray drives. Xbox/PS4 games have patches and require hdd installation anyways. I'm surprised they haven't been selling a disc-less option all along.

So, how long til they sell the "Official Blu-Ray" drive which is the only one that the system will support?

The only thing that possibly attract me to an Xbox from my PS4 is UHD Bluray support.

That being said, I do no presently own any and I have not ever watched a BluRay on my TV... and now with UHD players going otherwise extinct, it looks like the UHD market may just dry up and blow away.

I'm ok with a digital only console actually. Most of my game purchases are digital. I used to do physical, but I'll be honest, I'm much too lazy to get up and change the discs every time I change games, and the only real benefit was not having a big download... and with patches I have that anyway.

Sure, sure, I don't own the games. You never really did anyway, you always only owned the media.

This way, Microsoft can still charge full price for a game that's 4yrs old.. cause it will never loose it's value..

The only disks I've used in any of my current-gen consoles have been movies. This wouldn't bother me, BUT I'd need to see some worthwhile savings from it. A SSD or some quicker internal storage would be nice, too.

And still only a 1TB hard drive. My 6TB for my Xbox One recently got full, making me wish I had gone for that 8TB for $30 more.

It's not like Microsoft is killing disc gaming... I haven't bought a computer game on dvd in a decade. We've seen sony, nvidia, google, microsoft, steam etc all talking about streaming games. We have hugely popular free-to-play discless games like fortnite, apex, dota 2, etc... Our phones, tablets, and laptops don't have dvd/bluray drives. Xbox/PS4 games have patches and require hdd installation anyways. I'm surprised they haven't been selling a disc-less option all along.

Back in the day you bought a disc and played however you liked, offline, no problem. Now console games are rushed to sell and are often broken and need massive day one fixes. So pretty much in some cases you get a broken product on that disc and must go online to update. My hunch is that plus the fact that most people have online is the reason for this console. Physical media is a huge inconvenience to say the least, however I would prefer that if digital platform was not established. Now that MS has a solid platform, I really don't see why they couldn't go digital. Nintendo did that with a switch, however digital costs the same as physical for pretty much like all the best and popular games. Other than convenience it really doesn't offer anything. With Steam for instance one of the benefits is that games always go on sale so it's much less expensive to get games on it. I haven't bought a physical game almost since Steam launch (well, I think GTA5 maybe an exception). Also, the fact that nearly all games have to be installed kind of defeats the purpose of that disc. It really is mostly for folks that have no internet or has seriously low data caps I guess. Why not have both consoles so folks can choose what works best for them. It is odd that they don't release the higher performance Xbox in a disc-less version. Btw, for hard drive I really wish MS made it easy to swap and also without voiding the warranty like what Sony did with PS4.

People knocking this are the same ones that praise digital streaming and netflix saying things like Blu-Ray is dead.

People knocking this are the same ones that praise digital streaming and netflix saying things like Blu-Ray is dead.

The only reason blu ray is dying is because of the DRM implemented by Sony

I purchased a Dell Inspiron with blu ray drive to use as HDTV box, but unfortunately it came with old version of power dvd that couldn't play new movies

So after trying so many options I ended up buying a Samsung blu ray player so that I could watch the CDs that I had purchased legally

Now the Dell Inspiron box acts as a glorified Atari emulator

The only reason blu ray is dying is because of the DRM implemented by Sony

I purchased a Dell Inspiron with blu ray drive to use as HDTV box, but unfortunately it came with old version of power dvd that couldn't play new movies

So after trying so many options I ended up buying a Samsung blu ray player so that I could watch the CDs that I had purchased legally

Now the Dell Inspiron box acts as a glorified Atari emulator

lol you literally could have just bought the updated powerdvd and been done with it. Don't project problems onto industries. If I can't plug in a hdmi cable that doesn't mean the hdmi industry standard is failing.

lol you literally could have just bought the updated powerdvd and been done with it. Don't project problems onto industries. If I can't plug in a hdmi cable that doesn't mean the hdmi industry standard is failing.

Updated power dvd was costlier than samsung's blu ray player

Updated power dvd was costlier than samsung's blu ray player
The PowerDVD upgrade is only $35. What player did you buy that was cheaper than that?

I personally use WinDVD PRO, which I got during a Christmas sale for $40 for the full version. I think PowerDVD is trash.

The PowerDVD upgrade is only $35. What player did you buy that was cheaper than that?

I personally use WinDVD PRO, which I got during a Christmas sale for $40 for the full version. I think PowerDVD is trash.

Dell shipped the inspiron with old version of Power dvd that was not upgradeable to powerdvd 12, which is what I needed to play the bluray cd I had purchased

Samsung's bluray player cost approx $70

I tried trial versions of all softwares. Only power dvd 12 could play the CD smoothly on the Inspiron (integrated graphics phenom III le) without any issues in audio, video, and encryption issues

I personally use WinDVD PRO, which I got during a Christmas sale for $40 for the full version

Maybe the situation has changed now, but, when I had to make the purchasing decision, I tested using CD of Children of Men
I found power dvd 12(trial) to be better than all other software

$40 is a pretty tall order for a htpc

It was more like $65 for power dvd 12

The reason I voted with my wallet for Samsung's bluray player were:
1) it didn't require me to invest additional amount for using it out of the box for the primary reason it was intended (watching latest blu ray movies)
2)at $70, it was comparable in price to upgrading to power dvd 12 which cost $60+
It is an upgrade not an update, as Dell shipped with a version of powerdvd that was not updateable to 12

The PC is one thing, where cases are now shipping without 5.25" bays and Apple popularized the axing of the optical drive in laptops. But a console without an optical drive is a no-sell for me, killing the ability to buy cheap games outside of sales (read: used games). I don't mind waiting a couple years for the price to come down, and I prefer physical media, anyways. You can still find a disc on eBay or the local games store, but are screwed if said online storefront becomes inaccessible or the company goes tits up.

It was more like $65 for power dvd 12

The reason I voted with my wallet for Samsung's bluray player were:
1) it didn't require me to invest additional amount for using it out of the box for the primary reason it was intended (watching latest blu ray movies)
2)at $70, it was comparable in price to upgrading to power dvd 12 which cost $60+
It is an upgrade not an update, as Dell shipped with a version of powerdvd that was not updateable to 12

Dvd for the longest time was in the same boat, requiring powerdvd to play the video on pc (hence the name). Not sure how it ended maybe the copyright on the codec ran out. So basically this was not a new thing at all.

Dvd for the longest time was in the same boat, requiring powerdvd to play the video on pc (hence the name). Not sure how it ended maybe the copyright on the codec ran out. So basically this was not a new thing at all.
DVD playback was built into Windows starting with Windows 98, which released a little over a year after the first DVDs hit the market. At the time playback required a hardware decoder, but the software was included in Windows for free. DVD playback was built into Media Player starting with Windows ME, and a hardware decoder was no longer required. Blu-ray playback was never included in Windows and still isn't more than 12 years after the first Blu-ray discs hit the market.

DVD playback was built into Windows starting with Windows 98, which released a little over a year after the first DVDs hit the market. At the time playback required a hardware decoder, but the software was included in Windows for free. DVD playback was built into Media Player starting with Windows ME, and a hardware decoder was no longer required. Blu-ray playback was never included in Windows and still isn't more than 12 years after the first Blu-ray discs hit the market.

Ah, that sparks my memory a bit. Thank you for clarifying.

Back