All Core 21 WU's fail on 970

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

I've been folding on this rig for a while now without any issues. Recently did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro on a new SSD and I am having all kinds of issues.

First I installed the latest Nvidia drivers. I think they're 376.33. Had issues, so did some Googling to find the hot fix drive for the 10 Series cards. Installed 376.48. Still have issues so I went and found the old driver I originally had installed on the rig before the SSD upgrade. 373.06. Still no luck at all. Every single WU that's download immediately fails.

I tried using DDU to uninstall previous Nvidia drivers and reinstalled 373.06 again, but started to run into a lot of issues. One was the installer was complaining about not being able to create or access some temp file/directory of some sort. So I got around that error by moving the temp directory location directly to c: and got past it. Now the installer gets as far as installing the graphics drivers, but some things don't complete and it fails. After a restart I am at my native resoultion and MSI Afterburner reports the driver 373.06 installed.

I will make a note that when I uninstalled 376.33 and rebooted Windows would automatically reinstall 376.33 no matter what I did. That's when I went to DDU to have the drivers removed in Safe Mode.

Nothing I seem to do fixes this. I know the cards are fine.

Upon more investigating in the log it seems only x21 is immediately dropped. I am currently folding on one of the cards with core x18.

Copied/pasted what I posted on FF.org

Last edited by a moderator:
I said I had the same issue with 378.48 also. 376.48 is the hot fix right?

I have tried

376.33 - failed
376.48 - failed
373.06 - failed

That's my issue here. I have tried multiple, even known good drivers and I am getting failed WU's on all Core 21. Core 18 is fine.

Hence my head scratcher here.

I just realized I forgot to install Service Pack 1 after installing Windows. That might be the issue. Installing it now.

LOL I will bet it will work after you get it all updated. 7 does not operate very well without sp1.

That seems to have fixed the issue. Currently folding on two core 21 WUs at 4% and 12% respectively. Geez! Newb moment right there.

And which drivers did you end up with after getting it working?

Glad to hear ; I'm useless with Windows and couldn't suggest anything else then install Linux (and enjoy a new set of issues).

Welcome back on old performance levels (y)

I am going to be running some 980 Ti and 1080s on a few of my Linux boxes. Never done it before so I might be hitting you up on a how-to guide. All my boxen run CentOS 7.

Glad to hear ; I'm useless with Windows and couldn't suggest anything else then install Linux (and enjoy a new set of issues).

Welcome back on old performance levels (y)

Hmm I assume you are referring to the 30K to 90K more PPD I am getting on most WU's run on my 980Ti Linux rig vs Windows 980Ti rig. although there are a couple of WU's that do do a little better on Windows than Linux but not many, I think I have noticed 2 :D.

I am seriously considering converting all my rigs to Linux. :)

I am seriously considering converting all my rigs to Linux. :)

Go for it ... for dedicated boxes I suggest CentOS 7 (not bleeding edge; but stable).
But right now running a bit outdated driver 370.28 as I don't get the newer one compiled. Still my preference over Win; simple I can remote shell in for monitoring etc from my iPhone and VPN/SSH.

I can remote into my Windows boxen on my phone, too. :p

Back