All Computer Techs - What software do you have in your binder?

Chelica

2[H]4U
Hello,

So I finally got a Technician job and am wanting to be 110 percent prepared. My question is for all of the people here who works as a Computer Technician. What do you guys bring to work in terms of Software? What Software is essential for your job? The job is basically a repair type, no huge server or anything like that. Just your basic repair/troubleshoot Tech job.

If you want to share what kind of hardware/tools you bring to work, I will also highly appreciate that.

Just excited about starting my first Tech job and hope to broaden my knowledge and build up experience.

sandra pro
cpuz (cpuid?)
ram testing software
OS's
updates for OS's
remote networking software if applicable
networking software if applicable (windows xp network setup disk)
driver cd's
any software cds applicable to what you need daily
large amounts of pr0n on dvd's.. wait nm

Don't forget to carry a known working soundcard, gfx card, ram sticks etc if you go to trouble shoot.

If I think about anything else I'll be sure to... drop in again.

~Adam

Edit oh yea of course, linux recover cd's that allow you to recover windows passwords.

Well I'm not a computer Tech(yet) but a list of must/should have software would be something like the following if you can obtain them:

Operating systems(duh) with boot disks
Service Packs for each OS(also wouldn't hurt to have that Security update CD MS released)
Utilities from GRC.comGibson Reseatch
Pretty much every Utility from Sysinternals
Kerio Firewall 2.1.5
MemTest86+
Spybot Search & Destroy
Adaware(Personal Edition)
HijackThis!
Magic Jellybean Keyfinder
Ultimate Boot CD
Latest Version of Windows Installer(might run into an old 9x computer that needs it to install newer software)
Copies of Regedit and MSConfig(just in case computer is infected by a virus and files need to be replaced)

There are some other's I'm sure, just can't think of them, that should be a good start though.

Sweet. Thanks guys.

I was wondering, up above you mentioned "linux recover cd's that allow you to recover windows passwords". I am not familiar with this, care to explain in detail?

I am also considering setting up a rig from the abandoned parts from the shop for me to load all of the software so that I can just hook the HD onto and scan it from the rig that I have built instead of waiting in line for the rig that they have in the store. They only gave us 1 freaking machine to do scan and etc. And this is to be shared by all 8 techs, WTF! No wonder there are a huge backlog.

O yeah, regarding the P0rn DVD, that is the first thing I have placed in my binder, hahaha!

"linux recover cd's that allow you to recover windows passwords" =
knoppix-std distrobution

bootable linux CD with all kinds of useful tools and utilities
recover/reset windows passwords, network tools, etc ad naseum

knoppix=good poop

I would recommend BartPE .

Its basically a configurable cd-image that has a bootable version of windows pre-install enviornment on it (the software that runs as part of the first-time setup of windows, when its copying files and stuff, a really scaled down version of windows). You can put virus scanners, ad-ware cleaners, troubleshooting software, all kinds of COOL stuff on it. And also, the best part IMHO, you can read-write to an NTFS partition, which is a PAIN to do if you can't get into windows.

Definately download it and give it a try. Its very cool.

Ice Czar said:

Ouch, yet thank you? :p I always used their socketlock and disable UPnP utilities, now I gotta read some more. Gee, thanks a lot. :p

I was also going to mention ERD Commander 2003 but since it was pretty expensve, i neglected to do so. Is ultraX's products anygood? I remember reading somewhere that I was considering buying hardware from(i forget where, there are so many) that said they used QuickTech to test everything. Looked it up but never really looked into it that deep, since I'm not a tech I just looked over it, but didn't delve that deep into researching it. Is it all that? It doesn't seem cheap either. :D

Don't carry originals with you for stuff like OS cd's. You be surprised where stuff like this gets left behind.

Also, if someone hired you then they probably already have spare parts and stuff, but I always carry some extra norton antivirus disks in the car as well some of the previously mentioned stuff. Those are worthwhile and are usually easy sells.

It sometimes comes in usefull to keep an install folder somewhere with stuff that "should" be installed on new machines. Things like java, acrobat, openoffice, etc come in handy sometimes.

djnes said:
No tech should be without a copy of Norton Ghost.

Ghost is a must have! I usually carry around a disc of the most popular older Video Card drivers, like ATI Rage, diamond stealth and some misc drivers.

Also, Don't forget your harddrive diagonstic disc's! Western Digital Data Lifeguard.... can't remember the other ones offhand, but each harddrive manufacture has one. (I'm more of a network admin now :p )

We also use a progarm called Pc Check, formally known as Troubleshooter. This works good also, a good all in one hardware checking disc. Although I still prefer memtest86 for the memory side of things.

I carry:

All MS OS's 95-XP
A spare network switch and 4 lengths of cable
Power Drill
Screwdrivers
Extra vid card, ram, mobo
A 5th of scotch
Chip pullers
Ad-Aware
Spybot
A2 Squared
Sygate Personal Firewall

IxGOxSOLO said:
It doesn't seem cheap either. :D

definately not cheap
you really need to be pressed for time in your diagnostics
for any of those to make financial sense
I havent priced them out recently,
but if I recall they wanted my left leg and firstborn :p

Man, this is very helpful. Thanks guys.

The Ultimate Boot CD, I tried downloading it and none of the links or mirror are working. Anyone else knows of a link for the download?

I downloaded the Ultimate boot cd [udcd24.exe] and execute it to get udc24.iso.

How exactly should I get this file copied to CD , for it to work on boot ?

Use nero, do a file -> burn image, select that file, burn. There ya go ;)

Moto Guzzi said:
I downloaded the Ultimate boot cd [udcd24.exe] and execute it to get udc24.iso.

How exactly should I get this file copied to CD , for it to work on boot ?

Where did you get the file from?

I follow the steps, but...

1-I download the .exe file
2-I excecute this file to get a .iso file.
3-I then open Nero-5, and follow the wizard....
I have chosen Disk at once...
4-I make the choices at burn, but all I end up is a .nrg file, saved in another directory.

How do I get this "Image" on the CD, and if I display the CD from C-Drive, what should I expect to see on it ?

you should pick the iso as the file you're burning and your cdrw rom as the file it's burning to

~Adam

there are burn instructions for various programs about halfway down the site

I never use Nero actually...Maybe something wrong with it.

I drag the file from location on C_drive[In nero window] over to the Nero CD Rom compilation area.

I click on .iso file and from File I chose write......All that happens is I get the screen where I chose Disk at once, but if I say write, it just bring up a screen Save as and it wants to save it as a .ngr file......?

Your doing it wrong, your creating an ISO not burning one. Like i said, exit the wizard, don't use it. Click file, burn image, selet iso file and ok, then select burn. Easy as pie... at least I thought.

Also make sure your recorder is set to your CD-RW drive, not image recorderd.

I used Alcohol 120% to burn the image.

If you are having a hard time using Nero, just download that freeware listed on the bottom of the page at Ultimatebootcd

Alex

UBCD is the best to have around, it has so much tools that I use everyday. I built myself a second cd with software and common drivers. the software is stuff like spybot, AVG antivirus, benchmark tools, etc...

Ghost is good to have around, and copies of all vers of windows...

remember to use copies... you will lose a Disk from time to time....

Ive built a Security CD as well (and augement it with a floppy or two of updated definitions)
you can find what is on it here

got to love trialware for its use in disinfecting a new box
and its a nice intro to some powerful software for the victim

another ap worth considering for networking (and malware hunting too :p )

3d traceroute
# 3d traceroute display, multiple graphics modification options
# statistic-window with min, max, average, standard deviation
# Whois query to everything with one click
# history-window with destination ping time
# record and playback: record any trace and playback step by step
# and the browser is already built in.
# Day and Night trace: Admins beloved toy
# Command-line execution mode. Full replacement for good old buddy tracert.
# passive OS fingerprinting
# Port scanner (knows 3,612 well known ports)
# IP-Range-Scanner (scan from Start-IP to End-IP)
# analyze eMail headers against RBLs
# Connection viewer / TCP, IP, UDP etc. statistics
# HTTP Server Spy
# Atomic Clock Sync
# nslookup (upd and tcp: zone transfer capability)
# ASN inspector
# build in TELNET client
# long period Ping and HTTP monitor
# Low CPU-Usage

Your doing it wrong, your creating an ISO not burning one. Like i said, exit the wizard, don't use it. Click file, burn image, selet iso file and ok, then select burn. Easy as pie... at least I thought.

Nero was lying to me. It actually said "Burn Sucessfully Completed", but all it did was copied the ISO file as is not extract contents. Uninstalled Nero forever, and cleaned up lots of loose ends left over in registry afterwards[By NortonSW]. :mad:

I found joy using CDBurnerXP Professional....Quick no problem. did not install the part which give every user full rights to CDRW. :D

Ice Czar said:
Ive built a Security CD as well (and augement it with a floppy or two of updated definitions)
you can find what is on it here

got to love trialware for its use in disinfecting a new box
and its a nice intro to some powerful software for the victim

another ap worth considering for networking (and malware hunting too :p )

3d traceroute
# 3d traceroute display, multiple graphics modification options
# statistic-window with min, max, average, standard deviation
# Whois query to everything with one click
# history-window with destination ping time
# record and playback: record any trace and playback step by step
# and the browser is already built in.
# Day and Night trace: Admins beloved toy
# Command-line execution mode. Full replacement for good old buddy tracert.
# passive OS fingerprinting
# Port scanner (knows 3,612 well known ports)
# IP-Range-Scanner (scan from Start-IP to End-IP)
# analyze eMail headers against RBLs
# Connection viewer / TCP, IP, UDP etc. statistics
# HTTP Server Spy
# Atomic Clock Sync
# nslookup (upd and tcp: zone transfer capability)
# ASN inspector
# build in TELNET client
# long period Ping and HTTP monitor
# Low CPU-Usage

That was a very nice thread you got. Thanks, it was most helpful.

Alex

You want good .iso burns? Use DVD Decrypter. It's great.
Just download the .iso, DVD Decrypter will open when you double click the file, and take it from there. It's a no-brainer...and DVD Decrypter is really well written. It doesn't screw up.

I think what I need in the Tech Shop is build me a basic system and load that baby up with these kind of utilities. That way, I can control the environment. If I need to scan their drives or etc. I can just attach the HD onto my rig and do as I please. Can even do Data Backup on my rig and keep it there till I finish reformatting and reinstalling an OS or so.

This would make things a lot easier for myself.

a good idea with one caveate
keep a clean ghost image of your box before you hook up a dirty HDD
some malware will write to every drive, and if you fail to catch it immediately there is a potential

scanning from a parallel install, especially a hardened one is really effective
in most cases, but make it a standalone box

for an infected network on the other hand, well thats what those Linux ISOs are really about
with IDS and Autopsy aps, and sniffers for rootkits

Bored in the last half hour of my job. So, I thought I'd compile some of this and add a few of my own:

Hardware:

A decent laptop with copper and wireless NICs. I use an old IBM Thinkpad 300 Mhz PII running W98SE. Nothing spectacular, but it's been a lifesaver in the past. Also, CD-RW/DVD-ROM, so you can make discs for customers and read anything they might have. I keep all my drivers and patches that are updated frequently on my laptop, and just put them to USB key or CD as needed.

At least one USB key, the biggest you can afford. These things are lifesavers. Just remember to have a floppy with drivers for pre-W2K operating systems, and realize that they don't work on the oldest MS systems.

A network cable tester, if you're going to be working on networks. Also, a toner for tracing cables.

Chip pullers (never used them myself, but they were suggested)

Blank CDs, so you can burn a custom driver/freeware/patch disk for a client on site (if you have laptop).

Spare parts:

5- or 8-port switch
A mix of 3- to 15-foot ethernet cables. At least one crossover cable, minimum 6 feet.
Printer cables
Serial cables (9- and 25-pin, and combinations)
IDE cables
SATA cables
Floppy cables
40+ GB ATA HDD
Floppy drive
CD-ROM
AGP video card
Modem (!!! - I sold lots of these on calls)
RAM - PC133 and DDR

Hardware diagnostics/testing/tuning:

PC Check (name too generic to rely on google search, and I don't know this product)
UltraX Hardware and Software
Diagnostic disks for all major HDD manufacturers
Sandra Pro
CPU-Z (cpuid?)
Memtest 86
Utilities from GRC.com Gibson Reseatch
R-Studio data recovery

Boot disks:

BartPE
knoppix
Ultimate Boot CDERD Commander
Windows 98 SE boot floppy (you'd be surprised how often this comes in handy). I'd recommend heavily customizing this as you figure out what you need in a DOS boot disk.

Operating systems:

Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, ME, NT, 2000, and XP (Home & Pro) --don't carry originals, and never pirate. If they don't have a license, don't give them one unless you have a legit one to sell.

All service packs you can find for MS operating systems. And I mean all--you never know when you'll hit some goofy app that only works on NT SP3 or something like that. (also: directX and other major patches)

Drivers. I've got somewhere around 2.6 GB of drivers. Every piece of hardware I've ever encountered, I've got a driver for it. I keep them up to date on my PC at home, burn to CDs about once every six months to keep current, and keep the newest ones on one of my USB keys.

Copies of Regedit and MSConfig(just in case computer is infected by a virus and files need to be replaced). I'd suggest grabbing msconfig from Win98/ME and from XP.

Latest Version of Windows Installer(might run into an old 9x computer that needs it to install newer software)

Pretty much every Utility from Sysinternals
Magic Jellybean Keyfinder

Security/Anti-virus:

Spybot (is that URL correct? It's off a Google search)
Adaware
Kerio Firewall 2.1.5 (Looks like they're at v4 now)
Symantec Client Security (AV and Personal Firewall package)
HijackThis!
Sygate Personal Firewall
A2 Squared
Everything else here (thanks to Ice Czar for yet another awesome thread)

Networking:

3d traceroute

Applications (too lazy to get URLs for all these):

Adobe Acrobat Reader
Firefox (browser)
WinRAR
WinAce
Quicktime
North Ghost
FileZilla (FTP client)
OpenOffice.org
Tons more apps that I can't think of atm.

For running ISO's .. Cue's.. any CD files download Daemon Tools.. it's basically a drive emulator.. it beats buying CD's and burning onto them is a waste..

Hey, you know that Winternals Admin Pak, if one was to use those type of software and actually get into a messed up Hard Drive. How do you extract it now that you are actually able to view the file? This is what I do not understand. It is true that you can get into a non bootable hard drive, but once inside, how do you extract the data out?

you would transfer it to a different HDD\partition
you operating outside the "on disk" OS
same with say Knoppix or even the Windows Recovery Console or a parallel install of Windows (which you could obviously save the data any normal way)
in Knoppix or the Recovery console you are mostly "in RAM" and manipulate data from there
in a parallel install, (with an administrative account) you can take ownership of anything on the other install that isnt encrypted

I dont have ERD Commander, but I do have an early version of O&O BlueCon
they are basically the W2K\XP recovery console on steroids
their added features can also be cobbled together with freeware (but the seemless integration is their sales point)
the more powerful stuff like reseting the administrative password
isnt really a topic we can discuss here,
but those are open secrets for anyone willing to search

in truth those last 2 Linux ISOs I linked are far more powerful
and free, but with a steep learning curve (Im still climbing)
security tools are just that tools, you can build a log cabin with a chainsaw
or re-enact the Texas Chainsaw Massacre
intent is often the determining factor, but tools with the potential or primary purpose of ill use arent discussed here

Back