All Aboard NVIDIA GK104 CRAZY TRAIN!!

Everyone bitching about the price needs to reread their history. I paid 800 for a 8800 Ultra, the difference is AMD priced the 7970 accordingly. This is not a charity, it's economics and with basically all 7970's sold out they made the right call even with huge markups in retail.

Its doubtful anything changes this gen with AMD having the best bang for your buck cards and the fastest single slot solution available with nvidia having the fastest single gpu setup.

Coming from a 6970 the 7970 is a beast, which imo is all that matters.

whatever you need to tell yourself. Hard is just one site and they only use a few games so its good to also look at other reviews that test other games.
And while they are running dozens of timedemos and synthetic benchmarks they lose focus from actual gameplay. They become CPU limited at low (<=1080p) resolutions and fail to even acknowledge it.

GK104 performance will be very interesting, and NVidia will certainly boast high fps and 3DMark scores. Whether this translates into an advantage for gaming remains to be seen from HardOCP's article.

whatever you need to tell yourself. Hard is just one site and they only use a few games so its good to also look at other reviews that test other games.

Whoever thinks AMD does not focus on synthetic benchmarks optimizations lives in a lala land.
Matter of fact I'll go step further and say AMD is the one that started FPS battle,
focusing entirely on that aspect - FPS/$.

These days they screw with basic rendering capabilities just to get 0.4% fps more.
They used to be about Image Quality, quality video playback and HTCP (remember ATI All-in-Wonder?).

Apart from Eyefinity they failed to set themselves apart from market leader.
And that's why their discrete share is crumbling, even with solid products.
Particularly on the desktop, and the crazy train with record number of design wins
should take care of the mobile.

anyways :) benchies...

Techpowerup because of comprehensive tables
Computerbase.de because of API categorized fps
Techreport because of unique frame rendering based charts
Canucks because of quickie comparison tables

and HardOCP because of unique subjective gameplay test.
I'd like to see them focusing on that ^^ even more

It will be one helluva read when the crazy train arrives

Crazy is the exact word i'd use if you think this puppy will launch at $300.00. That would make it the most legendary card since the 9700 pro.

Crazy is the exact word i'd use if you think this puppy will launch at $300.00. That would make it the most legendary card since the 9700 pro.

4870 was similar - outperformed the GTX 260 for $100 less.

Not at all, for a small chip like this, especially since nVidia needs to position its other products higher in price that are even higher-end.

They could do the whole "introduce high, drop low" Which would mean by the time the high end comes out they were around or below $300? :D

since AMD set the bar so low for a next gen $550 product, Nvidia can price this mid range card much higher now. that is what all of these people that defend the 7970/7950 prices cant figure out. those people keep comparing the new AMD cards to the last gen gtx580 which was already a horrible value. all AMD has done has insured that we will have crazy high prices compared to last gen.

since AMD set the bar so low for a next gen $550 product, Nvidia can price this mid range card much higher now. that is what all of these people that defend the 7970/7950 prices cant figure out. those people keep comparing the new AMD cards to the last gen gtx580 which was already a horrible value. all AMD has done has insured that we will have crazy high prices compared to last gen.

I say ye, amen.

Hard to tell what is true but based on most recent information the memory seems a little slow and with a 256bit memory interface it's now wonder that this card is rumored to sell for $299.

The GPU sounds lightning fast and extremely processing powerful 384-bit memory interface will be a sweet sport for me.

Seems like it's going to be here soon.

my prediction is that the best single core kepler will be alittle slower than 7970 crossfire, nothing really groundbreaking,

my prediction is that the best single core kepler will be alittle slower than 7970 crossfire, nothing really groundbreaking,
um that would be like the gtx580 only being a little slower than 6970 crossfire so how would that not be impressive?

Top end cards a NEVER a good value, that's not the point of them. I just don't get all of this consternation over the 7970s price, $550 is not outside of historical norms for this type of product but you may have a point in that the 7970 simply isn't good enough to really warrant that price.

Top end cards a NEVER a good value, that's not the point of them. I just don't get all of this consternation over the 7970s price, $550 is not outside of historical norms for this type of product but you may have a point in that the 7970 simply isn't good enough to really warrant that price.

That is what I feel (and I think quite a few others), that it simply isn't good enough to warrant the price with how late it is (14 months after) and the ~20% average gains (for a fully new generation & node) that it provides over a less expensive GTX 580. I don't think 550 is too much for a video card, but I do think it is too much for a Radeon 7970.

I have to agree.

Everyone expected AMD to have kick ass prices like they done since the 4k series.

The $550 price tag of the 7970 is in-line with GPU pricing right now.

I am more concerned that this GK104 isnt going to be much faster then a 570gtx.

I have to agree.

Everyone expected AMD to have kick ass prices like they done since the 4k series.

The $550 price tag of the 7970 is in-line with GPU pricing right now.

I'm much more concerned with getting a pair of them on launch day... ;). I have a strong feeling that Kepler is going to showcase just how poor a value the 7970 is.

Guess we'll find out soon, by the sound of it.

Phk says it's coming in March.

Good, Lets hope they come out before Mass Effect 3...then I can freakin decide what cards im getting. This 4870 is just.....slow lol

what is so hard to figure out? AMD added a huge price premium to their top two cards that ONLY makes sense when comparing it to the now last gen gtx580 which was already a poor value. all that does is allow Nvidia to release what should have been a mid range priced gpu and charge much more for it. if it was not for the overclocking headroom on the typical 7970/7950, they would be a complete joke for a next gen product at their asking price.

I too believe that NVIDIA's next mid-range card will best AMD's flagship in price, performance, cooling.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got letter to write warning the govt not to let the lizard men take over.

hypnotoad.jpg

what is so hard to figure out? AMD added a huge price premium to their top two cards that ONLY makes sense when comparing it to the now last gen gtx580 which was already a poor value. all that does is allow Nvidia to release what should have been a mid range priced gpu and charge much more for it. if it was not for the overclocking headroom on the typical 7970/7950, they would be a complete joke for a next gen product at their asking price.

Again, top end cards are NOT about value, that's what's so hard to figure out. Raise your hand if you bought a 580 looking for a good value. I didn't give a shit about value when I bought mine, I simply wanted the fastest card. That's really how all high end tech gear is. It's priced by what the market will bear and never pretends to be a good value.

I'd assume whenever this card comes out, AMD will drop the prices of their 7k cards to stay competitive.

Sales and demand will dictate prices, all companies try to get as much money as they can for their product, meaning finding the highest price that people will still buy it at. Price per performance is what we as consumers look at, but companies couldn't care less about it if their cards are still selling out. If competition comes out for cheaper, and/or demand for a card drops, the prices will follow. This in general is an ammoral practice; its not about screwing consumers over, its simply good business practices.

What games are people needing this beast for? Even 6900s and 580s seem overkill unless you're running extreme resolutions.

Again, top end cards are NOT about value, that's what's so hard to figure out. Raise your hand if you bought a 580 looking for a good value. I didn't give a shit about value when I bought mine, I simply wanted the fastest card. That's really how all high end tech gear is. It's priced by what the market will bear and never pretends to be a good value.
you have 3 gtx580 cards so of course price does not mean much to YOU. MOST people on here do look for SOME value though. I bought my gtx570 for $259 when the best deal on the gtx580 was just under 500 bucks. how or why would I spend nearly TWICE the price for 15-20% faster gtx580?

and at what point do you think a card is too expensive? could you really still use your "NOT about value" excuse if the 7970 was $1000 or even more? again MOST people have some type of limit where things just don't make sense. the gtx280/gtx260 were very overpriced when released and luckily AMD came out with reasonably priced 4870/4850 cards. heck I only ended up paying $189 for a gtx260 a few months after release thanks to AMD. Nvidia is too arrogant and will only take advantage of the high priced 7970/7950 so rest assured what would have been mid range priced Kepler card will be much more expensive.

so if you have not figured it out yet the main point is that really expensive high end cards means mid range cards at high prices too.

That would almost be impossible - the GTX 570 is hardly faster than the GTX 560 Ti 448, and you would certainly expect that a next-gen (die shrunk) part would at least beat the current-gen card it is replacing. If it is that slow, Nvidia might as well not release it.

That would almost be impossible - the GTX 570 is hardly faster than the GTX 560 Ti 448, and you would certainly expect that a next-gen (die shrunk) part would at least beat the current-gen card it is replacing. If it is that slow, Nvidia might as well not release it.

Why is it not possible?

The GK104 is a midranged card. Usually midranged cards dont beat the last gen top of the line.

Why is it not possible?

The GK104 is a midranged card. Usually midranged cards dont beat the last gen top of the line.
a gtx570 is only 20% faster than a gtx560 ti so surely the gtx660 ti will easily much much faster.

Why is it not possible?

GTX 570 isn't top of the line.

Edit: Although I guess it depends on whether this would be the GTX 660 or the GTX 660 Ti - I could see the GTX 660 being that slow, if that's what this turns out to be, but not the GTX 660 Ti. And if the Brightside rumor about this being called GTX 680 (which makes no sense to me) then it would have to beat the GTX 580 at least.

GTX 570 isn't top of the line.

i know this? This is why I said (usually the midrange doesnt beat the top of the line card from last gen).

Which means it wont be as fast as the 580 gtx, but possible around 570gtx speeds or in between?

i know this? This is why I said (usually the midrange doesnt beat the top of the line card from last gen).

Which means it wont be as fast as the 580 gtx, but possible around 570gtx speeds or in between?

I ninja-edited you. I'm assuming this will be the GTX 660 Ti part, which may not be the case.

that would still mean only 30% faster which would be a joke if those specs are anywhere near accurate.

Well from what SA says (and I gotta give charlie the benefit of the doubt, he was right on Fermi).

The GK104 will be great in physx based titles, and be crap in non physx titles.

Now do I think charlie is right? No I think he is semi-right. Nvidia will rape AMD in Physx games. Now the only REAL question I want answered is WILL it be faster then the last generation? SA seems to think it wont.

This is why I want some leaks...and Since now some people are saying a march release. I guess we will find out soon.

I have been holding out on picking up 2 new video cards cause I really hate the AMD drivers, but If Nvidia flops on the GK104...I guess I have no choice.

I think that crap about physx was mostly a rumor. Charlie was just passing along some bad information some of which was purposefully done just to catch Charlie copying info from others.

Back