All 6800 owners read this!

Hardee17

n00b
I'm ready to go pick up a 6800gt OC, but I have one concern: What is the sound level on these things? I currently have a 9800 pro with a vga silencer on it. My computer has 2x 120mm vantec stealth fans @7v and a super silent psu. I cannot hear my computer from 5 feet away. I need to know how silent this is going to be, and if its going to be a problem--any silent after market coolers for it??? THANKS!!!

Mine is quiet, cant hear it over my P4 cpu fan. It does have a fan though, so you will hear it. Aside from watercooling only seen "silent (i.e. heatpipe)" coolers for the 6800 standard (not gt), and they aren't even out yet.

hmmm, I dont mind it if its a little noisy during games, as I have headphones on, but when im typing or web browsing, I can underclock it, and the fan should slow down, right?

I don't hear mine. My old BFG 5900NU with dual fans was noisier.

pretty quiet, my overall system noise is down i'd say. used to have a 9700 pro.

does the fan speed up or slow down depending on the temp? Is underclocking really sucessfull?

Hardee17 said:
does the fan speed up or slow down depending on the temp? Is underclocking really sucessfull?

No need to underclock. The card has variable fan speed, it goes slower in 2d at lower clockrate.

It actually noisiest as the comptuer boots, because the fan goes full throttle until windows and the drivers intializes, then it slows down to 2d mode.

hmmm, im not really liking the sound of this...I think I'll stick with what I have...no 6800gt for me, oh well. I really value the quietness.

ROTFL! Your loss... you hear one semi-bad thing and you chose not to get one. This is also funny seeing that Arctic Cooling is also releasing a cooler for the 6800 series.

I bet you he never even intended to buy a 6800 to begin with :rolleyes: Probably just another ATi fanny comin in here to stir things up...

I have a BFG 6800GT and its not making any noise at all.. Unless i really sit and try to listen to it... I have my case open and stuck my finger inte chassi and cpu fan to stop them and i could only hear a faint flow of air... just like a little breeze.

I have a 6800GT and before I had a geforce3 with a crystal orb. This is way quiter so there you go for a comparison.

thanks, banko, finally a good comparison. Yes, I am seriously considering getting a gt due to the fact that the doom3 review recommends a 9800 pro, and thats at 768x1024 settings. I want more than that. Keep them comming. Any idea when the vga silencer for the 6800s comes out?

I went out and got my PNY 6800GT last night... yeah, it's loud. I can hear it over my Zalman and case fans with my side panel off... but nothing noticeable to me.

Shorty said:
I went out and got my PNY 6800GT last night... yeah, it's loud. I can hear it over my Zalman and case fans with my side panel off... but nothing noticeable to me.
I unplugged my case fans (7v 120mm, 7v 80mm, 12v 40mm) and 3 hard drives, then could finally hear the fan on the 6800GT. The 6800GT is definitely louder than my Zalman CNPS7000, but I wouldn't call it loud.

The only items I hear when the case sides are on are the hard drives, and even those aren't very noisy. Even with all the extra fans, the system is only slightly noisier than my old 400SC, which was very quiet.

Hardee17 said:
I'm ready to go pick up a 6800gt OC, but I have one concern: What is the sound level on these things? I currently have a 9800 pro with a vga silencer on it. My computer has 2x 120mm vantec stealth fans @7v and a super silent psu. I cannot hear my computer from 5 feet away. I need to know how silent this is going to be, and if its going to be a problem--any silent after market coolers for it??? THANKS!!!

In 2D while browsing the fan is just barely audible, it does spin up during gaming but most don't notice it.

just my $0.02

Back