Alienware's Concept UFO is basically a Nintendo Switch for PC games

thesmokingman

Supreme [H]ardness
They've been trying to make that setup work for a while, smach z anyone? I think for the first time it could work with the new apus. I'd buy one if they could make it work. I'd rather not invest in a console setup considering at this point we all have a bazillion games in our steam libraries.

Lakados

[H]ard|Gawd
Make it so it can run Linux, it will make a fine emulator platform or as a game streaming console. If they do it half decently it could also work for a number of Asian online titles, as long as the price is reasonable. The modding groups could have a field day with it.

thesmokingman

Supreme [H]ardness
Make it so it can run Linux, it will make a fine emulator platform or as a game streaming console. If they do it half decently it could also work for a number of Asian online titles, as long as the price is reasonable. The modding groups could have a field day with it.
It's basically a handheld pc.

Skull_Angel

[H]ard|Gawd
I thought most of these handhelds were killed off by smartphones/phablets/tablets... Yeah, that's not going anywhere quickly.

T4rd

Fully [H]
i bet you $100 i find one of these on the electronic shelf at goodwill in 5 years. i feel bad for the guys working on it at dell, these niche handhelds never take off.

View attachment 214338

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/alienware-concept-ufo-basically-nintendo-switch-for-pc-games-preview/
I doubt you'll find it anywhere at any time because it's just a concept and probably will never even make it to market in any form.

It certainly looks cool, but I bet it would be way too expensive ($600+ - over twice as expensive as the Switch) if they tried to go to market with that and battery life would most certainly suck ass (at least compared to a Switch) on it while gaming with any x86 APU. If Stadia somehow takes off too, that alone would nail this to the cross as well.

smarenwolf

Weaksauce
I personally think the idea for this isn't even bad. It's just... too much "everyone does their own shit."
Why not make a nice x86-tablet, ship it with Win10, and have some various hardware expansion options for it?
- "a real keyboard" (think Lenovo Tablet 10) for people that actually want to use it as a laptop
- a lightweight keyboard-cover (think Surface)
- "Switch Joy Cons" to make something like above.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I like my Tab 10 (yeah, sure, could use a bit more performance :D), I also like the Switch... Haven't bought it tho, because not a lot of the games on it are interesting to me.
Combine that? Yes ples.

i wouldnt buy something like this unless it was from Apple. any other company would just bail on its customers if the handheld wasnt an immediate market gorilla at launch.

pendragon1

[H]F Junkie
I personally think the idea for this isn't even bad. It's just... too much "everyone does their own shit."
Why not make a nice x86-tablet, ship it with Win10, and have some various hardware expansion options for it?
- "a real keyboard" (think Lenovo Tablet 10) for people that actually want to use it as a laptop
- a lightweight keyboard-cover (think Surface)
- "Switch Joy Cons" to make something like above.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I like my Tab 10 (yeah, sure, could use a bit more performance :D), I also like the Switch... Haven't bought it tho, because not a lot of the games on it are interesting to me.
Combine that? Yes ples.
that is essentially what this thing is.

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
Don't both the PS4 and Xbox One support local streaming?

It might be cool as a hand held Steam/PS/XB streamer that also can run games.

I guess a lot of people would want it for their travel and commute - I guess I'm a weirdo that doesn't want to play games if I go somewhere besides home...

dvsman

2[H]4U
It looks cool ... well as a Switch but given the price of PC hardware, this will either be too slow or it will be too expensive ... neither of which is good.