Alienware Really Doesn’t Want You to Buy an AMD Ryzen PC

They are selling Ryzen systems, it's just that the author of the article apparently has an issue with the branding. The Intel systems having a higher model number even though they aren't necessarily faster.

If they are using their branding / model numbers to steer people toward their Intel-based systems, it's probably because those CPUs are actually available and thus they are able to sell more of them. I don't see this as "anti-competitive" activity. If they really had an Intel bias, they could simply not offer Ryzen-based PCs.

In this modern, media driven culture, where exact specifics are listed as a badge of honor and not a least common denominator, such disparities are unacceptable.

Kudos to extreme for compiling and shining light on this piece of shit activity. Anything less than a public apology from Michael S. Dell will render their reputation unrecoverable in my eyes.

Nah... that ship as sailed. (popcorn)

Looking forward to spinning sandals.

They are selling Ryzen systems, it's just that the author of the article apparently has an issue with the branding. The Intel systems having a higher model number even though they aren't necessarily faster.
That wasn't the only thing. The Ryzen systems were by default set up worse than the Intel ones--for example, single-channel RAM only on the Ryzens.

Beyond the fact that they actually are; I don't see what the problem is. Dell has historically almost always been Intel, even during the awful Pentium 4 days. I don't see what the issue is of an OEM only providing one. It's not like you are locked into buying Dell for a Windows compatible PC folks.

1618780320060.png

It’s wrong and it’s gay. You can spec just as good of a Ryzen system as Intel on Alienware
So why do you think Dell lists all the Intel systems in such glowing terms and then more or less describes the Ryzens as "meh, here's some other stuff we sell?" Maybe there's nothing to it. But on the face of it it seems odd, kind of like they'd rather not sell any.

Ryzen 5950 released in 11-2020
Intel 11900k released 3-2021

The model numbers cannot be the same... newer one has a higher model number WHODATHUNKIT??

Maybe they should number them backwards and then the AMD fanatics would be happy... oop, only until the AMD is the last released with a lower fucking number?!?!?!?!@ FUCKING TRAVESTY

What a fucking stupid clickbait waste of time - this didn't even deserve a news post here.

(homophobic snip) You can spec just as good of a Ryzen system as Intel on Alienware
woosh (over your head)

The user can't spec single channel 16gb on intel. Yet that is the default on AMD. If default configurations were put head to head, the AMD system would look bad.

Moreover, if one were to take those default systems and look them up on a piece of shit propaganda site like Userbenchmark, it would show a skewed result.

What is wrong with being gay? Says a person who is
<----
I'm gay too but the article is still wrong. And gay. There's nothing wrong with being gay but there is something wrong with being wrong. The author needs to come to terms with his sexuality. It's 2021.

Dell has been spec'ing single channel ram on their lowend laptops and systems since the dawn of time. They do this to hit a low price point. It is nothing new. It is a clickbait article.

Dell has been spec'ing single channel ram on their lowend laptops and systems since the dawn of time. They do this to hit a low price point.
We're not talking about cheap systems. These are Alienwares. Again, expensive, $2-4000 desktops. The Intel ones come with dual-channel by default, the Ryzen ones don't.

woosh (over your head)

The user can't spec single channel 16gb on intel. Yet that is the default on AMD. If default configurations were put head to head, the AMD system would look bad.

Moreover, if one were to take those default systems and look them up on a piece of shit propaganda site like Userbenchmark, it would show a skewed result.

Uhhh.

Screenshot_20210418-231546_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210418-231638_Chrome.jpg

Most if not all Ryzen motherboards are specced dual channel. Disabling by default is not kosher.
Edit amd processors also hit 3733 Mhz memory speed by the 3000 series.

Last edited:
After looking at the Dell site myself, it doesn't seem as bad as the article claims. But their configs are kinda of biased.

I mean, who would spend almost $3k and get single channel memory, 16GB only?

Notice how the top Ryzen GPU is a 3080 but the top Intel has a 3090 (more RAM too).

Clearly they are positioning the Intel version as better, unnecessarily.

1618802616622.png

This is mostly true for everything dell, not just alienware.

Stock of current gen OEM Ryzen parts is probably just as limited as everything else out of TSMC at the moment. It would make sense that Dell would want to push buyers in the direction of something they can more easily procure. Especially at the scale they sell at.

That wasn't the only thing. The Ryzen systems were by default set up worse than the Intel ones--for example, single-channel RAM only on the Ryzens.

Do you know what the solution is? Don’t buy a Dell. Done. I own a Ryzen system. I’m not personally offended that Dell doesn’t promote it because AMD, Intel, and Dell are corporations who’s relationship with me starts and stops with me buying products from them. That’s it.

Beyond the fact that they actually are; I don't see what the problem is. Dell has historically almost always been Intel, even during the awful Pentium 4 days. I don't see what the issue is of an OEM only providing one. It's not like you are locked into buying Dell for a Windows compatible PC folks

100% this. I don’t think anyone needs further proof that Dell sucks. I think that’s common knowledge. That said, if you’re a computer OEM with strong marketing and engineering agreements with Intel going back years and years, can you really blame them for promoting Intel’s product first? What’s the MDF contribution to Dell by Intel vs AMD? How much engineering work has AMD done for Dell compared to Intel? I don’t blame Dell for promoting products from a company that they have partnered closely with for years at all levels of the product creation stage. AMD can step up their MDF contributions and engineering support for Dell and they’ll get more promotion as a result. It is fairly common practice in business to formulate promotional relationships with a given supplier. Is everyone here who is mad at Dell for not promoting Ryzen anti-EVGA as well for their lack of promotion of Radeon GPUs?

After looking at the Dell site myself, it doesn't seem as bad as the article claims. But their configs are kinda of biased.

I mean, who would spend almost $3k and get single channel memory, 16GB only?

Notice how the top Ryzen GPU is a 3080 but the top Intel has a 3090 (more RAM too).

Clearly they are positioning the Intel version as better, unnecessarily.

View attachment 349021
If you scroll down a little you'll see you can get dual channel at no extra cost.
1618846626760.png

Seems like you get more for the price in the default configuration than you do on the Intel. The Intel one only has an 11700KF and 3070 at the $2,410 price. Going with the 11900KF and 3080 brings the Intel system up to over $3,000. The pre-configured Intel also only has a 512GB SSD while the AMD one has a 1TB SSD.

Back