Alienware or Sager??

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
Which one would you guys go with? With both (which ever I choose) I'd go with 2 gigs of RAM and Raid 0 and the fastest processor I can get my grubby hands on.

Alienware Area-51m 7700
Features and Specifications:

• Brand new PCI-Express Technology
• Multimedia entertainment mobile system
• 17” inch Widescreen XGA or SXGA+ Entertainment LCD
• Intel Desktop 915 PCI-Express chipset
• Intel Desktop P4 processor power
• Best performance Mobile GFX with 256MB DDR
• Best performance built-in Mobile Audio with Digital out
• User-Removable GFX module
• Brand new Dual-channel DDR2 memory support
• Dual Hard drives with RAID 0 or 1 support
• Dual Optical drive slots
• 7 in 1 Media card reader
• Most memory expandability (up to 4GBs)
• Built-in instant-on AudioDJ with Mp3 support
• High-performance dedicated component cooling system
• 802-11abg and Bluetooth wireless support
• Full size keyboard with numpad keys
• Built-in Four speakers with Subwoofer
• SRS WOW Support

Sager 9860
17.0" Wide Viewing Angles WSXGA+ Active Matrix with Super Clear Glossy Surface Display
Intel® Pentium® 4 (800MHz FSB) LGA775 Socket T Processor
512 MB 533MHz DDR2 [Expandable to 2048 MB]
40.0/60.0/80.0 GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
8X DVD & 24X Max. CD-RW Combo / 2X DVD-RW / 2X DVD±R/RW Dual-Mode Combo / 4X DVD±R/RW Dual-Mode Combo / 8X DVD±R/RW / +DL Combo Detachable CD-ROM Drive
Smart Li-ION Battery
TV-Tuner with Remote, Intergrated CMOS Video Camera, Hardware RAID 0 or 1 function, 7-in-1 Card Reader, and Front Panel Audio DJ CD Player
1MB on-die Cache
ATI MOBILITY RADEON X800 / NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 6800 PCI-EXPRESS 16X Module 256MB DDR3
External 3.5" FDD USB
Virtual 8 Channel Analog Audio output
Touchpad with Scrolling Slider
1 Type II PCMCIA Slot
Infra Red, Wireless Fast IR interface
4 USB 2.0 Ports
2 IEEE-1394a Ports (4 PIN)
Other Ports: 1 S/PDIF out/Side Speakers out, 1 Line-in/Rear L/R Speakers out, 1 Headphone/Front L/R Speakers out, 1 Microphone in/Center & subwoofer Speakers out, 1 Infrared,1 DVI out port, 1 Parallel, 1 Serial, 1 PS/2, 1 S-Video-Out, 1 S-Video-In, 1 RJ-45, 1 RJ-11
Additional Features: Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps LAN & V.90 56K Fax/Modem, Optional Internal 108MB Turbo Mode 802.11g Wi-Fi Module, Internal 802.11g Wi-Fi + Internal Bluetooth Combo Module, 4X DVD±R/RW Drive, 8X DVD±R/RW/+DL Drive.
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Standard Carrying Bag
Auto Switch 110/220V AC Adapter, AC power cord, Multifunction Remote Control, Coaxial Connector, YPbPr/HD-TV Out Dongle, User's Manual, Utility CD
Dimension (H) x (W) x (D) : 1.95"x15.5"x11.75" Weight: 12.5lbs. with Battery
One year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty. (2 or 3 year Extended Warranty Plan optional.)
Lifetime Free Technical Support

You're nuts if you blow your money on that hellaciously overpriced Alienware 7700. The Sager 9860 will perform equally as good or better than the 7700 for hundreds and hundreds of $$ less.

atlwriter said:
You're nuts if you blow your money on that hellaciously overpriced Alienware 7700. The Sager 9860 will perform equally as good or better than the 7700 for hundreds and hundreds of $$ less.

I actually did the configuration of both systems and the Sager was more; for what I wanted.

Yeah, but you're going to get more with the Sager, too. That, and alienware's laptops don't look all that great. I like the clean, sleek look that the Sagers have.

You'd get better support at sager.

Alienware outsources to Costa Rica, you can't understand a damn thing the techs say.
Plus they aren't allowed to talk to you when you are out of warranty, making getting laptop replacement parts a bitch.

The Sager also has the X800 available now, instead of months from now (If ever). Go to PCTorque.com for the best prices and support. They usually come out to be about $50 more than Alienware, but you wait about 1 week, instead of months.

I'd go with Sager.

Don't bother with RAID 0, it can actually make it run slower. The only thing it speeds up is writing large files to disk.

I have also seen reports of having ram over 1gb causing the system to run slower as well. I tested this myself with 1.5gb of ram and it was indeed slower than just running 1gb.

So I guess if you plan on doing heavy video editing than RAID 0 and 2gb of ram is indeed the way to go. Otherwise I would'nt bother with it.

tiebird321 said:
If your willing to live with the radeon 9700 mobility
(same speed as a 9600XT desktop)

The Dell 9200 is a good lappy
for the tv you can go with the USB2.0 based ATI TV tuner

Also the toshiba Qosmio
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cfam.to?seg=HHO&coid=-28283&sel=0&rcid=-26367&ccid=1291021
is a very very sleek looking machine that is designed as a mobile media center

Well I think I'll go with the Sager. The sager offers PCI Express; which in a laptop it looks like that is where things are heading. NO sense in purchasing old technology. I'll go with the Sager.

Can't wait to get it.

Well the trigger has been officially pulled.

Order Detail
Item No Product Description Unit Price Qty.
1 NP9860S - 17.0" WIDE VIEWING ANGLES WSXGA+ ACTIVE MATRIX LCD WITH SUPER CLEAR GLOSSY SURFACE DISPLAY NOTEBOOK COMPUTER 1
2 Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology 3.8GHz (LGA775) $250.00 1
3 ATI Mobility Radeon X800 PCI-Express 16X Graphics Module with 256MB DDR3 Video Memory
4 2048MB PC4200 (4 DIMMs) 1
5 60.0GB (7200rpm) Ultra DMA Hard Drive
6 External USB 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
7 8X DVD ± R/RW/+DL Combo Drive & Softwares
8 12 Cell Smart Li-ION Battery
9 60GB (7200rpm) Secondary Hard Disk Drive for Hardware Raid 0 (Data Strip)
10 Integrated 56K V.90 Internal Fax/Modem
11 Integrated 1000Mbps Ethernet LAN + Internal 802.11g Wireless LAN & Bluetooth Combo Module
12 No TV-Tuner with Remote Control
13 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
14 1-year standard warranty from Sager
15 GN-WMAG, Turbo Mode 108Mbps 802.11b/g Wireless LAN PCMCIA Card

Nice. How much? I'm looking to get a laptop some time this summer. I want to be able to do wireless and all that, since we already have a router that is wireless-capable. I'm afraid I won't be able to load it out like you did yours, but I'm hoping for a 9700 w/ 256 MB or better, a pentium M 1.7 or better, and a GB of RAM, along with a nice 17" hi-res screen.

wow thats bad ass, when you get it you need to run 3d mark and see what your cpu and 3d marks are and then post the result

Aren't those the same notebook, made by Clevo? I would personally go with Sager over Alienware though.

Yes Clevo is the maker of that notebook. Other companies (Sager, Hypersonic, Vodoo, Falcon NW, Eurocom, Alienware) rebrand it and put their own components (cpu, ram, etc.) in them and sometimes do special paintjobs.

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
Nice. How much? I'm looking to get a laptop some time this summer. I want to be able to do wireless and all that, since we already have a router that is wireless-capable. I'm afraid I won't be able to load it out like you did yours, but I'm hoping for a 9700 w/ 256 MB or better, a pentium M 1.7 or better, and a GB of RAM, along with a nice 17" hi-res screen.

If you guys really want to know.... $3,800.00

Back