Alienware is Showing Off New Headset after 9 Years

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We love a good headset when it comes to gaming. It has been 9 years since Alienware has produced a new gaming headset, and today is the day it breaks that trend. The new AW988 set touts 7.1 virtual sound, 2.4GHz USB wireless connectivity, up to 15 hours battery life, fold-up mic mute, and of course RGB lights that cut the battery life in half if you have those on. These can be used as a wired headset as well. These will cost around $230 and will be for sale next Monday. For that price tag, the sound is going to have to be incredible. Apparently it has some sort of "audio recon" feature as well that attempts to help you locate enemies on a minimap as well.

The stream that covers some of these new accessories (a mouse too) starts at 2:30pm CDT.

"attempts to help you locate enemies on a minimap"

the fuck is this?

the fuck is this?

My Asus z170i motherboard had a special "Asus version" of the realtek audio drivers for the onboard sound. Included in the install was some dinky little program called Sonic 2 which would put a little minimap on screen for some games that would show you the direction sounds were coming from. I'm guessing the Alienware solution is something similar. If it's anything like what Asus wanted to install on my computer, it'll be barely functioning bloatware for sure.

the fuck is this?

Not new, a few have something like this that attempts to use sound to give a location of other players, from what I have seen, its hit or miss for sure. A quality player will be much better, however that might change in time.

Let me expand on that a bit;

If it works, it's a pay-to-win system.

If it does not work, it's a marketing tool designed to snag people who are looking to pay-to-win.

Fuck both of those.

They spent the money, they did the research: We need triangles! We need squares! But will someone be daring enough to try...parallelograms? When your enemies attack with RGB you must hear them with RGB!

I picked up the Hyperx Cloud 2 in gun metal. It’s sturdy, comfortable, sounds fine and costs less than half as much even without a sale. Also it doesn’t look like body armor and only the inline controls for volume and such light up.

Aesthetically I can’t get into this new Alienware one regardless of features.

the fuck is this?

The audio is so shitty on their $230 7.1 headset you need on screen help to tell which direction the gunfire is coming from. :eek:

DUDE, Look at the cool Alienware PC i just bought !!!

dude...you bought a dell.. ROFLMAO

Have that feature on my soundblaster, think it is called Scout. Pretty much useless waste of cpu cycles.

Back