Alienware AW3418DW - Ultrawide Monitor 500$ off

Just ordered mine. Excited. Supposedly coming by Friday. Replacing my now nearly a decade old Dell WFP3007-HC. Wonder if I should even bother trying to use it as a secondary monitor lol
I doubt you'll need it. the 34" is plenty wide and offers easy two windows side by side.

If anyone is still looking at this deal -- if you use a cashback site 2 of them are at 21 and 21.5% back right now (ends midnight tonight)... that would bring this to about $855 after the cash back

Got mine a few weeks ago, was tempted to just get another one and return it but too much hassle to pack it backup...

If anyone is still looking at this deal -- if you use a cashback site 2 of them are at 21 and 21.5% back right now (ends midnight tonight)... that would bring this to about $855 after the cash back

Got mine a few weeks ago, was tempted to just get another one and return it but too much hassle to pack it backup...

Yea I should have waited but....I wanted it. Coming tomorrow. Excited :)

there's a lot to that expectation - though yes - I think 10 bit is valuable as I can tell the difference between 10 bit and 8 bit on my HP Omen 32 and AMD or Nvidia cards without HDR.

1) The big if with the HDR is you gotta have HDR content to even use HDR (or Dolby Vision). When will mainstream games even support HDR content? None of the old games do. I'm not aware of any game on the market that currently does. So it's at said point going forward.

2) this is unique to your viewing situation - you may not need 1000 nits of brightness for your viewing. My gaming station is in a finished basement home theater room with no windows, and black walls and ceiling. I certainly don't want 1000 nits of brightness or I'll be seeing stars and uncomfortable. I turn my current 300 nit monitors down to about 20% brightness and it's fully sufficient! I hope with HDR there's a max ceiling brightness you can set - so it isn't used irresponsibly and become downright painful and irritating. IE lots of games flash to white regularly. Think about flash bangs, or even loading screens like Star Wars Battlefront. That loading screen hurts my eyes now without HDR.

1) BF1, Forza 7, Mass Effect Andromeda, Destiny 2, Shadow of War, Battlefront 2, COD:WW2, etc. all support HDR on PC. And with the consoles supporting HDR out of box it's just a matter of time before all of the AAA games have it on PC (Anthem and Metro: Exodus are said to be supporting HDR).

2) I also do my gaming in a basement with no windows. Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4 with HDR in total darkness is pretty great and doesn't strain the eyes even when standing right in front of the TV. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but it really does look substantially better than non-HDR.

I've decided to buy a cheap but decent monitor for now (32" Omen) and wait for the real HDR monitors to show up. I can't see anyone being unhappy with this Alienware though.

Reactions: Savoy
like this
1) BF1, Forza 7, Mass Effect Andromeda, Destiny 2, Shadow of War, Battlefront 2, COD:WW2, etc. all support HDR on PC. And with the consoles supporting HDR out of box it's just a matter of time before all of the AAA games have it on PC (Anthem and Metro: Exodus are said to be supporting HDR).

2) I also do my gaming in a basement with no windows. Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4 with HDR in total darkness is pretty great and doesn't strain the eyes even when standing right in front of the TV. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but it really does look substantially better than non-HDR.

I've decided to buy a cheap but decent monitor for now (32" Omen) and wait for the real HDR monitors to show up. I can't see anyone being unhappy with this Alienware though.

I've had this Alienware up and running for a week now and I have to say I really love it.

Ordered mine Thursday, FedEx says it'll be here on this upcoming Thursday.

Can't wait... now I just need to find a well-priced GTX 1080 to power it...

I ordered mine, got Dell EPP 17% discount on it as well to make it even sweeter. I'm replacing a U3415W.

It's going to be driven by my 2x 1080 Ti

Reactions: Savoy
like this
So I just got mine and set it up. Can't seem to get it to run past 110hz though... tried 2 different DisplayPort cables (one I bought from Amazon awhile back, and then the Dell one itself).

If I try 115hz or 120hz it just sets itself to 100hz.

Anyone else get theirs to 120hz without a problem? Could it be my GPU? I'm currently running an R9 390 because I traded my 980ti to a buddy after he helped me fix some car issues.

So I just got mine and set it up. Can't seem to get it to run past 110hz though... tried 2 different DisplayPort cables (one I bought from Amazon awhile back, and then the Dell one itself).

If I try 115hz or 120hz it just sets itself to 100hz.

Anyone else get theirs to 120hz without a problem? Could it be my GPU? I'm currently running an R9 390 because I traded my 980ti to a buddy after he helped me fix some car issues.

See here: https://hardforum.com/threads/alienware-aw3418dw-34-ultrawide.1942941/page-2

Posts #74-79 for instructions.

Keep in mind that your R9 390 is incompatible with G-Sync, so there will be frame skipping.

Did you make sure to enable the overclock via the monitor's OSD?

Yup, I set the monitor's OSD to overclock before touching the Windows refresh setting. It works up to 110hz. When I try 115hz or 120hz on the monitor OSD, it reverts back to the default 100hz.

See here: https://hardforum.com/threads/alienware-aw3418dw-34-ultrawide.1942941/page-2

Posts #74-79 for instructions.

Keep in mind that your R9 390 is incompatible with G-Sync, so there will be frame skipping.

I don't intend to have G-Sync running until I find a decently/well-priced GTX 1080. Might have to pull my brothers GTX 770 or ask my buddy to bring the 980ti by so I can test to see if it's a GPU thing.

Edit: Checked #74-79 on the link you provided and those were steps I had already taken (ie. overclocking on the monitor OSD first).

I'm on the phone with Dell support and not sure how much help they'll be able to provide. Could take awhile to find a good price on a 1080 on the used market and don't want to fall out of the exchange window as I'm guessing the 3 year warranty only covers dead pixels mainly.

So just got off the phone with Dell. They said they can't open a case due to seeing that I have an AMD card that isn't capable of powering the monitor at 120hz. Didn't feel like sitting there and trying to debate this with the guy so I said I'd try and grab a different GPU and test it out.

He isn't going to open a case but was going to notate my account so I can call back and skip the initial steps/explanation.

Maybe 120hz overclock mode only works with the G-Sync module active? Doesn't make any sense to me, but maybe that is the case.

So just got off the phone with Dell. They said they can't open a case due to seeing that I have an AMD card that isn't capable of powering the monitor at 120hz. Didn't feel like sitting there and trying to debate this with the guy so I said I'd try and grab a different GPU and test it out.

He isn't going to open a case but was going to notate my account so I can call back and skip the initial steps/explanation.

I set the overclock in the monitor settings to 120hz. Then went to video card properties in Windows display settings set that to 120. Then nvcpl set that sucker to 120hz and it's been perfect since. Obviously I'm running Nvidia cards though.

One 1080ti is more than sufficient for this resolution. I have two but haven’t needed it even once. I just crypto mine with the second 1080ti.

One 1080ti is more than sufficient for this resolution. I have two but haven’t needed it even once. I just crypto mine with the second 1080ti.
Your right no need for two 1080ti's. Just a like/want I like blazing fps with lots of room to spare. That and I was running a40" 4k screen before this ultra wide. That doesn't mean that I won't buy two of Nvidia's next GeForce flagship cards in the spring anyway lol.

Sorry to have this devolve into something else besides the deal itself. I'm gonna go post in the other thread that was linked here. Still having issues.

Seems like the price went back up though.

I had combo'd it with the following while it was $950 on Dell's MPP site.

Ebates (1% back) at Raise.com which had the Dell Gift Cards at 6.8% off. Then used Ebates (15% back) at Dell.com. Dell themselves gave 3% on rewards.

So some quick math ($950+tax plus free expedited shipping was like ~$1,006)...

$1000 * 1% = $10
$1000 * 6.8% = $68
$1000 * 15% = $150
$1000 * 3% = $30
Raise promo code = $5 (missed out on the $30 one)

Add that up = ~$263 in savings. Pretty damn good if I have to say so myself.

I ordered mine on Friday for $999 + 15% cash back from Ebates. I noticed on cyber Monday it was $949 so I emailed them and they matched it. Finally yesterday I got a email it was delayed a few days. I emailed them to cancel and they gave me another $125 to not cancel. I kept the order however not 100% sure when I’ll get it. Estimated Nov 30-Dec 1st. Will be running it with a single Titan XP. Should be more than enough as I have been plying at 4K with no problems. Can’t wait to finally get it.

My final cost ended up being 930.00 plus tax with free shipping of course. I'm very happy with the deal and the screen.

Dell guys, any chance this will go on sale again?
Id like to pick one up for a new job.

Dell guys, any chance this will go on sale again?
Id like to pick one up for a new job.

I don't work for Dell, but there's almost always a sale between Christmas and New Year's. Gotta cash in on all that Christmas gift money as well as earn more before the end of Q4.

This is back down to $999 now - with the 10 percent off from eBates, youre looking at a good deal with free shipping. Also, you can price match at Frys (which is what I did last night)

This is back down to $999 now - with the 10 percent off from eBates, youre looking at a good deal with free shipping. Also, you can price match at Frys (which is what I did last night)

Where do you see this for $999? I see $1,149 on Dell.com.

Back