Alienware AW3418DW - any drawback to "overclocking"?

Zinn

2[H]4U
This monitor comes stock with 100hz and has a firmware-enabled 120hz "overclock." Is there a drawback to using this, like in terms of longevity of the monitor, or is this just technically running the displayport cable out-of-spec but no biggie?

Everything I read on it was that if you get no graphical glitches and you enjoy using it - do so - it will not shorten the lifespan of the monitor. Dell gives a 5 year warranty as well. Mine overclocks without artifacts to 120hz.

Reactions: Zinn
like this
Default warranty I believe is 3yrs, but I have read a few reports with monitors developing issues while overclocked, and the remedy is to gradually reduce the clock (it allows for 5hz increments) until the issues go away.

I've not read of issues while not overclocking, and also I've seen most people indicate Dell WILL replace the monitor due to flickering issues while overclocked, so they stand behind the warranty even though it is technically specified as "overclock".

I had one of these near when it first released and I ultimately returned it since I was not impressed with the colors it displayed, and reading reports of monitors developing issues. Also BLB was fairly decent on the unit I received.

If colors and running at 120hz full time is of concern to you, I'd recommend trying the new LG just released LG34KG950G which will run at 120hz and is technically still considered overclocked due to specifications of the GSync module, but the panel itself is 144hz unlike the DW in the Dell. They also have an F version that is 144hz but only runs in FreeSync... but it is NOT an overclock.

I've been running mine at 120Hz since I got it, no issues. Seems unlikely to cause problems but would need more data on what turning on the overclock does exactly to know for sure. I really only worry about OCing 20nm or smaller chips (CPU or GPU), as they are significantly more susceptible to electromigration issues, especially when over-volted. Pretty good chance none of the chips in the monitor are on that small of a process node.

Contrast tends to drop the higher refresh you go as well but up to 120Hz or thereabouts the difference should be minimal but different panels have different of impacts to colors from overclocked refresh rate so what's true for one model might not be the case with another.

Back