Alienware AW3418DW 34" Ultrawide

I more or less agree with you myself, but I will point out that this is subjective, and that it is also down to the specific panels being compared and the implementation of each.

The only thing that makes it subjective is how much money you have to blow.

I just grabbed this a few weeks ok. "Upgraded" from an X34 for the extra 20FPS (running 2 x Titan Xps in SLI and a 7980XE so its not normally a problem to max out 120 fps at 3440 x 1440 with high-ultra settings).

Do I notice the extra 20 FPS? I THINK I do in snappy FPS games like Ghost Recon Wildlands, Far Cry 4, etc. The tighter curve is noticeable (in a bad way) in desktop usage but when I go into games it feels just fine.

I like the stand better on the Dell vs the Acer as well.

I just grabbed this a few weeks ok. "Upgraded" from an X34 for the extra 20FPS (running 2 x Titan Xps in SLI and a 7980XE so its not normally a problem to max out 120 fps at 3440 x 1440 with high-ultra settings).

Do I notice the extra 20 FPS? I THINK I do in snappy FPS games like Ghost Recon Wildlands, Far Cry 4, etc. The tighter curve is noticeable (in a bad way) in desktop usage but when I go into games it feels just fine.

have you seen the Amazon Basic Monitor Arm? I have been using it and it uses counterweights so you can move it a shit ton. It frees up a lot of desk space underneath and you can move it freely.

Don't you get micro stutter from running SLI?

have you seen the Amazon Basic Monitor Arm? I have been using it and it uses counterweights so you can move it a shit ton. It frees up a lot of desk space underneath and you can move it freely.

I'm not an "arm" guy and actually like the Dell stand slightly better than the Acer's anyway.

Don't you get micro stutter from running SLI?

No, well, not that Ive ever noticed any. I believe having modern cards (Titan Xps or 1080Tis) and the relatively new HB SLI bridge (and cards that support HB SLI of course), that micro stuttering is gone. But I never noticed it anyway.

Reactions: Savoy
like this
I'm not an "arm" guy and actually like the Dell stand slightly better than the Acer's anyway.

No, well, not that Ive ever noticed any. I believe having modern cards (Titan Xps or 1080Tis) and the relatively new HB SLI bridge (and cards that support HB SLI of course), that micro stuttering is gone. But I never noticed it anyway.

This is pretty much on point. Micro stutter isn't a thing since moving to 1080ti's with the hb bridge last year.

This is pretty much on point. Micro stutter isn't a thing since moving to 1080ti's with the hb bridge last year.

Yes but poor SLI scaling with gsync on, which would eliminate microstutter. you can notice a difference between one and two cards. one card feels just a bit smoother. try it yourself - gsync on - one card vs two cards then gsync off 2 cards. test some games. nvidia didnt work on this issue since release of pascal. and HB bridge doesnt make a difference to a normal bridge. testet it.
So dont ever use sli. not worth the money. Get one fast card and a gsync monitor with high hz = best experience. one 1080ti can handle 3440x1440 very well @120hz. its the same as 2560x1440 @ 165hz performance wise.

Yes but poor SLI scaling with gsync on, which would eliminate microstutter. you can notice a difference between one and two cards. one card feels just a bit smoother. try it yourself - gsync on - one card vs two cards then gsync off 2 cards. test some games. nvidia didnt work on this issue since release of pascal. and HB bridge doesnt make a difference to a normal bridge. testet it.
So dont ever use sli. not worth the money. Get one fast card and a gsync monitor with high hz = best experience. one 1080ti can handle 3440x1440 very well @120hz. its the same as 2560x1440 @ 165hz performance wise.

I was running a different panel before this one and noticed the loss of micro stutter on this system when moving from 980's SLI/tri SLI. Then got 2 it's with hb bridge and noticed a big improvement as far as micro stutter and frame pacing goes over the 980's. Now this is my first gsync Panel and I have heard people say there is something going on with gsync and SLI but never really looked into it with any seriousness.

Bumping this up, has anyone else had the monitor "crash"? Mine was totally unresponsive this morning. I had to unplug it from the wall for 30 seconds to get it to reboot. I thought I had an RMA situation on my hands.

Bumping this up, has anyone else had the monitor "crash"? Mine was totally unresponsive this morning. I had to unplug it from the wall for 30 seconds to get it to reboot. I thought I had an RMA situation on my hands.
No

Same here, had an issue with my first one where it wouldn't hold the OC but my replacement has been flawless for a few months now. No dropouts at all.

I've had mine since 11/9/2017. It's been on 120hz since then. I've played all sorts of games on it and no problems at all aside from game devs not officially supporting 21:9. Thank god for WSGF.

I just got this one last week. So far I like it. Coming from a 60hz ultra-wide. Does seam smoother in FC5, and Origins. Still kinda playing around with the settings to get a good picture without the bloom. I see it a little on startup, but don't really notice it once it has a picture on it.

I've had mine since 11/9/2017. It's been on 120hz since then. I've played all sorts of games on it and no problems at all aside from game devs not officially supporting 21:9. Thank god for WSGF.
Which games have you found need modifications. I feel like most new games work.

Which games have you found need modifications. I feel like most new games work.
Nier Automata, Tokyo Xanadu, Bayonetta, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood, Tales of Berseria, God Eater 2 Rage Burst, Vanquish, and Resident Evil 7.

Some of them outright required an ultrawide fix and others did natively support 21:9, but realtime cutscenes, HUD, or FOV needed fixing for 21:9.

I thought I'd share a more exciting custom color profile versus the stock setup or what was recommended by tftcentral's review.

It's definitely not as color accurate, but it is more exciting, punchier and perceptively gives more contrast without being obnoxiously over saturated.

Here's how to set it up:
  • Switch the monitor to Game 3 color profile in the screen's menu (You can probably pick any of the game profiles. They may be the same, but I haven't tested. I just happened to use 3 and like how it looks.)
  • In the screen's menu... Customize the colors of Game 3 by setting all of the values to 53%. Leave the black stabilizer off; set to the lowest value (default).
  • In the screen's menu... Set the brightness to 69%. Set the contrast to 78%.
  • In the Nvidia control panel... Go to Adjust Desktop Colors.
    • Select the "Use Nvidia settings toggle"
    • Adjust all colors to 47% contrast, 0.94 gamma
    • Adjust only blue to 47% brightness, leaving the other values set equal to the other colors' values
    • Optionally, set the digital vibrancy for all colors to 45-50% based on your preference. I left mine at 50%.
Try it out and see what you think. I think it makes games and videos more exciting, without being distracting.

I thought I'd share a more exciting custom color profile versus the stock setup or what was recommended by tftcentral's review.

Try it out and see what you think. I think it makes games and videos more exciting, without being distracting.

Just got my tracking number from Dell so I'm excited to try both the TFT settings and your own when my new monitor gets here. :D

It is a QHD monitor, or 2.5K - just a streched out version of 2560x1440. It's 34" so it's 3440 x 1440

isthisretina returns the PPI value of 109, which is exactly what I get with my 27" QHD.

Neat but hardly worth that kind of coin when you can get comparable 4K. I do not game so do not pay much attention to the refresh rate.

For anything above $1000, I expect a serious 4K machine with PPI close to 140. QHD is so 2013 news.

It is a QHD monitor, or 2.5K - just a streched out version of 2560x1440. It's 34" so it's 3440 x 1440

isthisretina returns the PPI value of 109, which is exactly what I get with my 27" QHD.

Neat but hardly worth that kind of coin when you can get comparable 4K. I do not game so do not pay much attention to the refresh rate.

For anything above $1000, I expect a serious 4K machine with PPI close to 140. QHD is so 2013 news.
It's not just about the resolution. The refresh rate and Gsync are a huge factor in a gaming monitor as well. And seeing as this is a designed specifically to be a gaming monitor it just means you aren't the target market for it.

Anyone know of a KVM that still allows 120hz and gsync to work? Thinking about upgrading from my Acer x34 but that only goes up to 75hz w/ Freesync. Need to be able to connect to my 2015 macbook pro as well as my desktop. For those that have upgraded from a previous ultrawide, like my x34, has it been worth it?

Anyone know of a KVM that still allows 120hz and gsync to work? Thinking about upgrading from my Acer x34 but that only goes up to 75hz w/ Freesync. Need to be able to connect to my 2015 macbook pro as well as my desktop. For those that have upgraded from a previous ultrawide, like my x34, has it been worth it?

I'd recommend living with the hassle of switching inputs rather than the hassle of trying to make this stuff work through a KVM.

I'd recommend living with the hassle of switching inputs rather than the hassle of trying to make this stuff work through a KVM.

What do you do for mouse and keyboard switching? Synergy? Does it have a USB kvm built-in like some of the previous Dell monitors?

Just pulled the trigger on this for $929.99 from Best Buy. I went from a 40MU6300, to the Dell 27 whatever TN Gysnc 144ghz but it's too small. While I know I won't gain vertical height I will gain horizontal so I'm stoked for that.

Just got my monitor this evening. Holy crap playing BF1 was a wonderful experience. It was so fluid and the fact that there wasn't any screen tearing is what put me in awe. Totally forgot I was playing a game. Just need to buy a new monitor stand because the one Dell uses is way too large to fit on top of my IKEA ALEX Add-on unit.

like this
Best Buy says mine won't be here till the 11tth :( An entire week for Foresaken without it :(p

Yes, the TFT review suggested skipping the Fast and Super Fast modes, and just sticking to the Normal mode when paired with G-Sync, regardless of whether the refresh rate was 100 or 120Hz.

Ordered mine yesterday at the $999 discount, and am looking forward to it (will be replacing my 42" 4K TV, which will become my backup).

I'll probably get the i1 Display Pro to calibrate it at some point down the road (will replace my aged i1 Display 2).

I know this is an older post but I just got this monitor.. Superfast was enabled by default for the response and I could see wierd things just watching movies.. almost like a quick flicker.. I started playing with settings and sure enough it was teh superfast response.. then I google and find this here.. so yeah.. leave it on Normal and its WAY smoother 120hz overclocked and all looks great.

like this
Just got this a week ago to replace a 32" Dell 4K that got smashed. Wow - I had forgotten how wonderful G-Sync is. Now I can't imagine living without it.

I'm not sure the colors are great or accurate in the default calibration, but that's probably easy enough to tweak.

Coming from the 4K, I was worried that the loss of resolution would be a big deal in terms of productivity, but so far it has been fine to work on. It's really just a 1440p with extra horizontal resolution. Clearly some would call this a downgrade, but I don't think so. It's just a different kind of monitor with different strengths.

Just got this a week ago to replace a 32" Dell 4K that got smashed. Wow - I had forgotten how wonderful G-Sync is. Now I can't imagine living without it.

I'm not sure the colors are great or accurate in the default calibration, but that's probably easy enough to tweak.

Coming from the 4K, I was worried that the loss of resolution would be a big deal in terms of productivity, but so far it has been fine to work on. It's really just a 1440p with extra horizontal resolution. Clearly some would call this a downgrade, but I don't think so. It's just a different kind of monitor with different strengths.

I came from a 4k tv.. the tv looked a lot better for movies but of course was a failure for games. Love hte monitor accept for one odd issue. There is kind of a flicker I can see with the monitor.. taking response time to Normal helped.. but I can still kinda see it in movies that just don't move smoothly.. I am using an AMD card at the moment and hope to get my RTX 2080 today to see how it works. If it wasn't for this weird flicker id be totally happy. It's almost like a micro flicker.. Dell even has some stuff on their site about it. *shrug*

Back