Alienware Alpha Compact Desktop i3/GTX860 = $399

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
Alienware Alpha Compact Desktop i3/GTX860 = $399

http://slickdeals.net/f/7765817-ali...esktop-i3-4130t-gtx-860-400-free-shipping?v=1

Specs
Intel Core i3-4130T Dual-Core CPU
4GB DDR3L
500GB HDD
Alpha chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5 (customized GTX 860)
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 1x1
Windows 8.1

http://www.techspot.com/review/934-alienware-alpha/
Part of that is down to the choice of GPU. Its identity has been the Alienware Alpha's biggest mystery up until now, with the firm mooting a customised design based on Nvidia's new Maxwell architecture. However, those hoping for a GTX 970 or GTX 980 (or even their potent mobile equivalents) are likely to be disappointed. The chosen graphics processor found in the Alpha is based on the GTX 860M - which, at an architectural level at least, is identical to the desktop GTX 750 Ti we reviewed earlier this year (both are based on Nvidia's GM104 chip design). Alienware reckons that this GTX 860M has been clocked higher than it ever has before, and although the firm won't be drawn on performance, it hopes that it will produce better results than the standard desktop 750 Ti.

So what are we dealing with here? Well, let's be clear. The GM107 chip is what we'd consider an entry-level GPU if you're serious about gaming, but that's not to say that you can't get some excellent results. Based on our tests with the desktop version, this graphics architecture runs Crysis 3 at a locked 30fps at native 1080p on the high preset, and you can hit something approaching a fixed 60fps on Battlefield 4 on high settings by adjusting resolution to 900p. Based on our recent testing, The Evil Within - as unoptimised as it - should be able to match the general performance level found in the 30fps PlayStation 4 version, based on our recent CPU and GPU testing. 2GB of GDDR5 rated at 6gbps is attached to the graphics hardware as standard (UPDATE: It's 5gbps in the final hardware, but it's rock-solid with a 6gbps overclock)

Thoughts? Seems pretty cool to me at a glance, so picked one up as a HTPC, will sell my Asus gaming laptop I'm using for that purpose here on [H] soon. I actually have 8GB of DDR3L just sitting around unused, and a spare 240GB SSD as well, which should make a nice upgrade.
--------------
ITS BACK! New Coupon Code: 1KHQR?2D3XRKWZ

Last edited:
I really want to bite at $400 (I was looking at this on slickdeals). I think it's a great deal if it meets your needs. I had an HTPC with 16 TB (4 x 4tb), an OS SSD and a blu-ray burner. I parted that out a month or so ago. I was planning on waiting for skylake but this deal was very tempting.

The main problem was that there is no way to add a blu-ray drive and that I'd also need to buy a NAS. That's the only thing that has kept me from buying. If you don't need a blu-ray drive or abundant local storage all in one machine then I think this is a fantastic deal. I've been debating it all day.

That's where an always-on power efficient home server comes into play, so you can consolidate all your data and transcoding (for mobile devices) into one place hardwired right onto your router, and if you stick a bluray on it too you can either stick them in there the few times you need em (optical drives are on their way out IMO), or rip them all to HDD as well.

That way your periphery devices around the home can all be small, and your mobile/tablet devices likewise have virtually infinite storage both at home and on the road (provided you have a quasi-decent upload speed). Great for recording motion events from an IP camera home security system, and issuing you alerts and what not.

But the ultimate value of that really depends on the individual, and if you're in a one-bedroom apartment for example its kinda worthless.

That's where an always-on power efficient home server comes into play, so you can consolidate all your data and transcoding (for mobile devices) into one place hardwired right onto your router, and if you stick a bluray on it too you can either stick them in there the few times you need em (optical drives are on their way out IMO), or rip them all to HDD as well.

That way your periphery devices around the home can all be small, and your mobile/tablet devices likewise have virtually infinite storage both at home and on the road (provided you have a quasi-decent upload speed). Great for recording motion events from an IP camera home security system, and issuing you alerts and what not.

But the ultimate value of that really depends on the individual, and if you're in a one-bedroom apartment for example its kinda worthless.

Well I bought a NAS and 4 x 4 WD Red Hard drives a few weeks ago and that was a disaster. Ending up returning all of it. It was easy having it all in 1 computer as that was the only one we used for TV (I have full quality blu-ray rips for all the movies I've bought and own)

Kinda sucks that since this is using a customized 750 it has no HDMI 2.0 support for true 4:4:4 4K 60Hz support..I suppose you could live with the iffy Nvidia 4:2:0 (IIRC) workaround..

Kinda sucks that since this is using a customized 750 it has no HDMI 2.0 support for true 4:4:4 4K 60Hz support..I suppose you could live with the iffy Nvidia 4:2:0 (IIRC) workaround..
If you're using a 4K TV, yup, but personally for my application its moot as I'm sticking with 1080p for quite some time in my living room.

For HTPC use:
1) Still don't like crazy high DPI when sitting far away from the screen for regular desktop use, and even though I hear Windows 10 should completely solve this issue I just don't see myself noticing much of a difference 12 feet away.
2) There's very little 4K content available, most of my TV is 720p and movies just 1080p.
3) There's no chance in hell that system is powerful enough for 4K gaming.

By the time 4K goes mainstream (maybe another 4 years), I can just sell this on craiglist (would still be a nice tiny machine for regular use) and buy a new system.

Not HDMI 2.0 though is the concern: 1x HDMI-Out 1.4a

But an issue w/ 4K is that the only services I even know of are online streaming, where the bitrate is so low that it won't look 1080p BluRay quality in spite of the resolution advantage.

Hell, I'd be happy just seeing movies shot at 60fps 1080p instead of 24fps, as I just don't buy the whole low framerate cinematic experience.

I just don't think we're there yet, and at $400, I can't see someone not still being interested in this for $100 quickly sold online in 4-years. By then we'll have a whole new generation of processors and GPUs or APUs to choose from.

Hell, I'd be happy just seeing movies shot at 60fps 1080p instead of 24fps, as I just don't buy the whole low framerate cinematic experience.

I think you would find yourself in the minority. Search for info about HFR movies (like The Hobbit). The tech wasn't very well received.

I really wanted to pull the trigger on the Alienware due to size/efficiency but I'm going to wait a bit and see if it comes down any lower this summer. I am glad this was posted though because I was looking forward to the new nuc. This seems a lot better at only a tad bit larger.

Commercially it did very well, so I'm not sure what you mean by well received.

Stare at my balls, and tell me you don't like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvUIA7KUjc

That said, I have nothing against motion blur to hide deficiencies in the quality of the film set, but that can be still filmed and delivered at 60fps and added with software processing. At least it will be SMOOTH blur and not the jerky panning we are used to. That also allows you to control when you do and don't want blur, instead of being blurred in any action scene.

I'd rather invest a bit more and have the best graphics a game is capable of producing. It's the only reason I game on PC, otherwise I'd only own a PS4.
I guess you get the benefit of Steam deals and a huge library of older titles too but in all reality, I'd question how long it could hold PS4 level graphics and frame rates as newer games keep coming out.

Is an i3/860m going to play GTA 5 at 30fps with same graphical settings as PS4 version? I dunno, but I would question it before purchase.

Commercially it did very well, so I'm not sure what you mean by well received.

I'm not arguing that the movie itself was not succesfull, but that the tech used in filming (double frame rate to 48fps) was not well received.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012...a-reaffirmation-of-what-makes-cinema-magical/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...it-at-48-fps-an-unexpectedly-painful-journey/
http://www.vulture.com/2012/12/critics-on-the-hobbits-high-frame-rate.html
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/19/7422633/hfr-might-work-even-though-it-looks-really-awful
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/97749-peter-jackson-on-the-hobbit-48-fps-controversy
http://screenrant.com/hobbit-high-frame-rate-release-showings-locations/

Your balls demo illustrates how motion blur (or lack of) is better at higher fps. Alas, cinema doesn't revolve around balls moving back and forth on a dark background.

I'm not arguing that the movie itself was not succesfull, but that the tech used in filming (double frame rate to 48fps) was not well received.
Commercially I mean, the 48fps theaters did very well in ticket sales. And the critics are really arguing against high definition in general, since their primary argument is that with reduced blur at all times, you can see how fake the sets look. But people are lining up in 4K theaters, and critics made the same complaints when Star Trek TNG was released in BluRay compared to the low-definition blur of its television release. But as mentioned, you can still introduce motion blur on demand at any time with today's software during production (and 60fps motion blur looks better than 24fps motion jarring that kinda looks blurry), and the general public received the higher frame rates very well, whereas the critics are likely the same kind of purists that told you that vinyl sounds warmer and that Birdman is a good movie (god I hated that with such a passion, first time in my life I walked out of a movie).
Alas, cinema doesn't revolve around balls moving back and forth on a dark background.
Depends on what kind of movies you are into. I have a whole collection that involve balls bouncing around in dimly lit rooms. Don't judge.
I guess you get the benefit of Steam deals and a huge library of older titles too but in all reality, I'd question how long it could hold PS4 level graphics and frame rates as newer games keep coming out.
Uhmmmm, the PS4 is just a x86 computer, the same as this. Its not a biological organism that is going to evolve as time passes. The speed it is today is the speed it is 30 years from now. Any improvements made in software for x86 hardware is going to apply to both platforms, as they are both just PC hardware in little boxes. One is just newer PC hardware, and the other older tech. Also check the reviews, its not "holding" PS4 graphics, its exceeding it in a smaller form factor with lower measured dB in action and lower power draw. And remember that with Xbox One, you are gaming on a skinned Windows 8.1. This is a skinned Windows 8.1.
---------------
Edit: Its back, new code 1KHQR?2D3XRKWZ

Last edited:
If it matters.. the 70$ coupon is still active

70$ off Code: CZVNPH5T$PR2F$
100$ off Code: J00KQWBT0FS43K (Expired/invalid)

Brings price to 429.99$ + Tax

(70$ off coupon expires tomorrow!)

and if you use eBates, you get about 16-17$ back from this purchase..
(I know referrals arent allowed so I'm not linking, but if anyone wants it, just PM me.. Proof below.. I ordered one when only the 70$ coupon was available, then again with the 100$ coupon)
Capture2_zpssac98fm1.png

Last edited:
Nice deal, woulda definitely gotten this over the NUC I built last year for HTPC.

Definitely a good deal compared to most Nucs, although the case is bigger and you have to swallow your pride when showcasing an alienware.

Definitely a good deal compared to most Nucs, although the case is bigger and you have to swallow your pride when showcasing an alienware.
It is, but still damn small, and offers more performance than my i5-4250U NUC, and appears to have a much superior cooling solution. Even the lowest processor especially in the real world is going to offer better performance, and of course the dedicated GPU blows away the integrated Intel solution: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4250U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4130T

Sometimes TOO small causes issues too, like we see with the noisy/throttling Gigabyte Brix, which would honestly be a much better system if it were just in a slightly larger case with a bigger heatsink/fan that could run at lower speed more quietly.

fcifbgd7qunqf9qqvoac.jpg

This shows how much smaller it is than a PS4, and personally I think it looks nice.

Regarding it being Alienware, from what I've read they have great warranty support and customer service, much better than regular Dell products with good driver support. I saw some of their bigger desktops and never really thought they were bad (the weird shaped Area 51 was interesting), just never saw the point when I can roll my own. I don't see any shame in buying pre-built when it comes to a tiny form factor though, as you really do need a proprietary design if you want to efficiently use the space down to the millimeter which as you can see below that's really tightly packed in there.

small_alpha-top1.jpg

BTW, if you're picking one up, it uses a single 4GB slot and has an empty slot to upgrade, so might as well order another stick and slap it in there when it arrives: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tech...ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428638321&sr=1-9 Its only around $30, and in 2015 IMO 8GB is a better bet even with dedicated GPU memory and is super easy to swap. Max is 16GB (2x8GB), but that's not necessary and isn't going to affect your framerates at all. Remember to upgrade that crappy drive to a SSD though IMO, it has to be a 7mm one (not the old thick 9mm style), and then it should really scream. I'm tossing a spare 240GB Intel 730 series in mine. :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can you upgrade CPU in this system? Or is it BGA.

From what I've read, yes you can. Socket 1150. Only thing that you can't upgrade is the graphics.

And thanks for the heads up on the deal being renewed. I'm in for one to put on the tv in the bedroom!

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read, yes you can. Socket 1150. Only thing that you can't upgrade is the graphics.

And thanks for the heads up on the deal being renewed. I'm in for one to put on the tv in the bedroom!

I wonder if an unlocked Pentium would OC in this? I have to have one from the insanely cheap MC deal..I know this has an I3 so I assume it is HT, giving you 4 threads vs 2..

I wonder if an unlocked Pentium would OC in this? I have to have one from the insanely cheap MC deal..I know this has an I3 so I assume it is HT, giving you 4 threads vs 2..
If you start replacing too many components right off the bat though, you kind of kill the bang/buck factor, and remember that what you really want for a small system is maximum performance PER WATT. Right now, the GPU they chose actually can't be topped in that department as of today anyway, and your games are going to be GPU limited anyway as we see in that at 1080p the game framerates are the same on the i3 and i7 models of the Alpha.

And yes, the i3 has hyperthreading, so games that artificially limit you to quad-cores will work just fine, as it still sees it as a four thread processor.

So IMO, buy the i3 model and buy another 4GB stick of RAM and a SSD and then just leave it be. Save the money to upgrade the whole computer when you run into planned obsolescence, reselling this for whatever its residual value is for the next generation device.

Can I install windows on this and have a cheap $600 PC with a SSD + 4gb stick of ram? My boss needs a new PC and this is faster than NUCs from what I have read and is still a fairly SFF for her office.

Can I install windows on this and have a cheap $600 PC with a SSD + 4gb stick of ram? My boss needs a new PC and this is faster than NUCs from what I have read and is still a fairly SFF for her office.
It already has Windows 8.1 on it, and you can uninstall or bypass the Alienware UI. Or, yes, just put a regular Windows install on it if you want.

BUT, remember it only has a single HDMI out, the other is a HDMI passthrough, as this is definitely designed as a HTPC. Not the best if he wants to run dual monitor or a 4K monitor.

It already has Windows 8.1 on it, and you can uninstall or bypass the Alienware UI. Or, yes, just put a regular Windows install on it if you want.

BUT, remember it only has a single HDMI out, the other is a HDMI passthrough, as this is definitely designed as a HTPC. Not the best if he wants to run dual monitor or a 4K monitor.

She's into her 24" monitor with some kind of AMD processor and a nvidia gtx 6100. I don't even bother looking because I bring my own computer to the office. All she does is PowerPoint, excel, and email. I think this might be perfect thanks!

Meh, not worried, always have the big rig if I wanna show off my tech nerd chops. :p

But yeah as others have stated, I've always been impressed by Alienware products tbh. They make it easy for the non-technical enthusiast, but they don't really cut corners on quality or innovation imo. A lot of their desktop stuff is just modified retail/channel parts and the OEM stuff they do is downright impressive, like this Alpha and the FX-81 that can take a full-sized GTX 980 and still not run into power/heat issues in something insanely low like a 300W envelope.

This thing really is huge bang for the buck though, about a year late for me but a great HTPC/light gaming option imo. Oya for the Windows Media Center Cable Card crowd, will most likely have to upgrade this to 8.1 Pro and buy the Media Center Pack or downgrade it to Win7 for Cable Card functionality.

I have been considering this for a HTPC replacement but the storage is an issue. I am unfamiliar with home servers/NAS. Assuming this only accepts SSD sized HDD's - couldn't slap one of the newer 5 or 8TB HDD's in here by chance?

I have been considering this for a HTPC replacement but the storage is an issue. I am unfamiliar with home servers/NAS. Assuming this only accepts SSD sized HDD's - couldn't slap one of the newer 5 or 8TB HDD's in here by chance?
No chance in hell, it'll accept a 7mm thick hard drive max. But if you really didn't want to setup any old power efficient desktop as a NAS, you could just plug in a USB3 external hard drive.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7785863-5-t...9-99-ar-or-less-free-shipping-tigerdirect-com <- 5TB red drive for $130 AR
(I believe the deal ends today if I'm not mistaken, so you could just lay that on top of the Alpha)

Yeah as mentioned you can just use some kind of external USB 3.0 solution, they have cheap enclosures on the market too (actually far cheaper than the bare drive) like Seagate 3TB enclosures for like $80.

Personally however, I think a NAS is worth it for an HTPC, far more elegant solution in terms of clutter around the HTPC but also in terms of functionality, since recorded content can be viewed across your entire network on multiple devices. You could also record/rip on your main PC, throw it on your NAS, then stream it to the HTPC later.

A decent 2-Bay NAS can be had for ~$50 (Iomega/Lenovo ix-2 is a good entry level NAS) and most everybody has some extra 1-2TB HDDs nowadays they can toss in there. Can configure as network shares or iSCSI target if needed. A really good 4-bay NAS only goes for ~$220-250 now (QNAP/Synology).

I would think that 2gb of memory on the 860 would be VERY limiting for future games.

Still pretty damn cool they sell these.

I would think that 2gb of memory on the 860 would be VERY limiting for future games.

Still pretty damn cool they sell these.
They were aiming to just beat out a 750Ti in performance, another 2GB GDDR5 card, while being more power efficient. For 1080p @ 30-60fps, I can't see it being an issue, and it doesn't make sense to me to equip lower end cards with massive amounts of dedicated RAM since they simply don't have enough horsepower to render the image as fast as the memory can feed it. I mean think about it, my 295x2 really only effectively has 4GB of RAM and its a friggen bulldozer, so I doubt you'd notice any framerate difference if you were to double the memory on the custom 860 to 4GB... it'd just be a waste.

If you start replacing too many components right off the bat though, you kind of kill the bang/buck factor, and remember that what you really want for a small system is maximum performance PER WATT. Right now, the GPU they chose actually can't be topped in that department as of today anyway, and your games are going to be GPU limited anyway as we see in that at 1080p the game framerates are the same on the i3 and i7 models of the Alpha.

And yes, the i3 has hyperthreading, so games that artificially limit you to quad-cores will work just fine, as it still sees it as a four thread processor.

So IMO, buy the i3 model and buy another 4GB stick of RAM and a SSD and then just leave it be. Save the money to upgrade the whole computer when you run into planned obsolescence, reselling this for whatever its residual value is for the next generation device.

I certainly understand and agree with your thoughts about killing the BPB factor..I was mainly just kinda thinking out loud Ducman..The fact that DX12 seems to be showing very decent gains when going from 2 to 4 to 6 cores makes the idea of dropping an unlocked i7 in there pretty tempting if it will support it down the road.

The i3 could be resold for a decent amount, making it a pretty reasonable upgrade down the road. If you leave SpeedStep enabled, the system should be just as quiet as it is with the stock i3 at idle/very light loads, and only ramp up during gaming, especially if you only OC the K model as far as it will go on stock voltage only.

I certainly understand and agree with your thoughts about killing the BPB factor..I was mainly just kinda thinking out loud Ducman..The fact that DX12 seems to be showing very decent gains when going from 2 to 4 to 6 cores makes the idea of dropping an unlocked i7 in there pretty tempting if it will support it down the road.

The i3 could be resold for a decent amount, making it a pretty reasonable upgrade down the road. If you leave SpeedStep enabled, the system should be just as quiet as it is with the stock i3 at idle/very light loads, and only ramp up during gaming, especially if you only OC the K model as far as it will go on stock voltage only.
DX12 removes GPU limitations? But that's still just a lot of heat and remember the PSU is quite small, and even an S-series is probably pushing it IMO.

Down the road if you really wanted to ramp it up, I think the best processor you could go with would be the i7-4790T. It has a 10 watt higher TDP than any of the processor options Alienware offers, but is an 8 threaded 3.9Ghz beast. IMO that would only really give you extra performance for desktop tasks though, and I doubt the framerate would increase in most games.

From what I hear, the 4790T is just a non-overclockable i7 that binned to be really efficient... can't find em for sale anywhere though right now.

How's the gaming performance? Did you keep the stock HDD?

finally got a chance to play this thing..
I added 4GB of Ram before ever turning it on, still have the stock HDD but plan to upgrade.
Going into this, my expectations are not high for this thing, Im just more curious to see how it works out.

After the initial setup, the menu still feels a little klunky/slow to respond, because of this, I will be upgrading to a SSD. Pretty sure that will make this feel about as smoother as a normal consoleI do like the AlienUI menu as well as the Steam Big Picture although I did get lost in the menus a couple times and couldnt actually navigate to what I wanted so I have to hit back like 50 times to get there. So the menu could use some work, im sure itll come with time.

On to the games!
So far the only real game I tested on here was Hawken.
1080p
Physx - Nvidia Only setting
Graphics - High
Detail - High

(Ultra was a bit boo much, some of the effects would start causing chop while playing)

With these settings it working perfectly, no jitters at all.
If I enable custom settings for things like ambient occlusion and shadow effects I started seeing a bit of lag when there were more then 2 mechs close and fighting. I didnt play with the settings too much because I think this would would kinda kill the feel of this being simple and didnt want to treat it like my desktop PC.. With those settings, I was happy with it.

I let it sit all night to download more of my library so Im gonna try and beat it up some more today. so far, Im pretty happy with it for 400$, enough that I think im going to order another but may use the next one to run plex.. But I have 5 Steam accounts, and with the family share It would be nice to have one of these at every TV to game. I would like to see some STEAM apps for Amazon prime/Netflix/Hulu/Etc to watch my streaming serves and this thing would be a killer little media center.

Back