Aliens vs. Predator is baaaaaack!

I remember defending the little base from aliens in a multiplayer coop map in the original, when you fired the grenades from the grenade launcher into one of the holes in the cliffs where the aliens spawned, I could swear that the 3D explosion that came out shaped itself to the shape of the hole and gave you this sort of volumetric explosion

I remember being impressed at the time, I wasnt sure if it was dynamic or if it was an effect triggered specifically in that spot, either way it's great attention to detail and an effect I don't think i've seen since then.

Last edited:
I found AvP2 multiplayer immensely addictive despite having the worst netcode in history. At times the lag and warping were so bad it was like a random teleportation effect.

I just read the PC Gamer review as well. Very interesting and exciting stuff.

:confused: Everything you listed as loving in the first was in the second in more or less the exact same way.

That's what I thought as well. AVP2 seemed like a full game sized mission pack with some touch up work done to me.

Can't wait to get in a few head chomps and spine rips in this new one myself.

Hoping for coop for the marines and aliens. Coop not so important for the predators to me.

These were some of the best games to play on a LAN, seriously. Then again, LAN gaming has sorta died with the advent of such good broadband.

But yeah, w/o a doubt, this'll be the next FPS I buy.

I hate the Unreal Engine. It looks terrible in every game.

And I want the Colonial Marines co-op game back. Not AvP.

I just read the PC Gamer review as well. Very interesting and exciting stuff.

Review? REVIEW?! O RLY? How close is this to release if they are doing reviews?

That's FAR more badass than I expected - I was thinking from the original post that this was just a 'project teaser' type of thing (a la 'Duke Nukem') that we wouldn't actually see any progress on for a few more years.

Interesting. Blades on both hands now. Also, no mention of the spear (Kombi stick?), speargun, or netgun. I hope all of his weapons make it in for the final release.

Hot Damn!
I can't wait! AvP2 is by far one of my fav games of all time!
Playing as the marines when that montion detector started to ping made your blood freeze!
Not to mention it was like getting 3 games for the price of 1 awesome game!
I look forward to this game!

Hot Damn!
I can't wait! AvP2 is by far one of my fav games of all time!
Playing as the marines when that montion detector started to ping made your blood freeze!
Not to mention it was like getting 3 games for the price of 1 awesome game!
I look forward to this game!

Playing as the marines in AVP/AVP2 definitely had the scary moments of, "Oh my god I just shit myself", going for it.

Playing as the marines in AVP/AVP2 definitely had the scary moments of, "Oh my god I just shit myself", going for it.
I played AVP2 back in 2003 and really liked it so would it be worth giving the first one a go? AVP2 had decent graphics(at the time) and cool atmosphere but the original game looks so old now that it seems like it would be hard to be scared.

AvP2 is still to this day, one of my favorite games. Hopefully this is actually AvP 3 in disguise, since 2 left a lot to create a sequel!

With the way the light is shining off of their guns when they fire I have a feeling this game is going to be true to its roots.

I am very excited.

Remember throwing those flairs in AVP Gold Edition? I thought the lighting in that game was fantastic.

With the way the light is shining off of their guns when they fire I have a feeling this game is going to be true to its roots.

I am very excited.

Remember throwing those flairs in AVP Gold Edition? I thought the lighting in that game was fantastic.

Yes I know exactly what you mean. It reminded me so much of when Ripley was dropping flairs in the Queens nest. That game nailed the alien atmosphere spot on.

The single campaign with forced species changes between missions sounds a little iffy. I loved playing through the story in 3 dedicated campaigns in AvP2.

Oh man I wish I could play AvP 1 and 2 again. AVP doesn't work with my graphics card and I lost my AVP2 CD's a long time ago.

The single campaign with forced species changes between missions sounds a little iffy. I loved playing through the story in 3 dedicated campaigns in AvP2.

That's really how they're doing it? That sucks so much :/

Not to mention the fact that the 3 campaigns tied into each other. It was awesome seeing things from the Predators perspective that you lived through as the marine, etc.

Anyone remember playing Marines only in that Office map? Everyone would run for the flamethrower and you'd have a ton of people running around screaming because they were on fire.

I laughed forever because the sound of the guy on fire was hilarious.

Yeah that does suck. I will miss having the 3 separated.

They did the 3 separate plots so well, it's hard to imagine what it will be like playing through them simultaneously. As another poster mentioned, it was a lot of fun playing through parts as the Alien or the Predator that you'd seen as the Marine etc. I'll miss that aspect, but hopefully it will be a good game regardless.

I hope there's a good editor with support for single-player campaigns. I was fluent in UnrealEd and was pretty stoked about learning the AvP2 editor and doing some singleplayer missions . . . but the AvP2 tools were grotesquely primitive pieces of crap. I couldn't fathom setting up scripted events with them after getting used to UnrealEd.

Back