Aliens; Colonial Marines a Sci/Fi L4D ?

Because Dead Space is actually a great game that is an extremely well-crafted horror/sci-fi/action IP that offers quality from every perspective.

A:CM looks, plays and in design is extremely out-dated and sub-par.

I get what you're saying, but it's still somewhat hypocritical to level the metric of game length against some titles rather than for them when they're more or less in the same genre.

It does depend on the content, like say if it's 20 hours of monotony and repetition then I can see why length wouldn't be a good thing, but to be perfectly honest, Dead Space, as good as it is, has a ton of monotony and repetition as well. Any corridor-based shooter does, which is why they're not typically 10+ hour campaigns, because you'd get sick of it regardless of how good it was. Dead Space even has a ton of backtracking which I generally hate. But, again, if I had to do that for 10+ hours I'd be pissed.

M33X7's posts are downright troubling. I'm wondering if I should go to GMG and try to get a refund or something. Wow.

M33X7's posts are downright troubling. I'm wondering if I should go to GMG and try to get a refund or something. Wow.

Well, just don't put me in the spotlight, as I don't want to be pegged as some "anti-Alien troll", lol. But I would suggest trying to get a refund. If you're not sure why I'm so adamant in trying to save you the money and waste of time, watch that guy's vids.

I didn't make that game, but you gotta call a spade a spade.

My posts are based off of what any sane person and experienced gamer can see in that guy's vids. What's troubling is the fact that there's clear and solid basis for what I've been posting, and cant even describe how incredibly disappointed and annoyed I am over what Gearbox did with this game. It's just inexcusable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwYzEc-1i30&list=UUsq1RneyLJf3DzN9qNSiZ1g&index=1

'Nough said. He covers well what you can already see in his vids as it is.

Hope I get pre-order refunded before it releases. I'm not trolling nor being hypocritical. But seriously disappointed.

My only comment on that is that I like how he says "I'm a diehard aliens fan, but I'm 23 and I haven't seen any of them in 10 years."....................

I skipped through the videos and both looked fine I just didn't really get the complaints. The AI seemed fairly typical. The textures looked average same for the animation. His voice however was beyond annoying.

That guy is a terrible reviewer. Kept repeating the same thing over and I rather him go into detail or show what he's talking about.

This.

I'll reserve judgement it's a bit too late for refund in my case. I have maintenance tonight so I'll be up for the unlock I'll post my feedback then.

I think you can get a good idea about how any given game is going to be like by watching youtube videos and stuff like that. That being said, I do think it's a little silly to go hellbent on trashing the game without at least playing it first. And I'm not even saying that because "hey, you might enjoy it!" - It's clear that by now, someone like M33X7 who has solidly formed their opinion by now isn't going to change it. It's just that on principle alone it doesn't feel right to me to start making multiple posts about how bad a game is without having played it. AGAIN, I fully understand you can tell pretty well how it's going to play out, but making post after post about how bad it is and how you want to get a refund without ever even having it installed on your PC (or the disc in your console if that's your thing) does seem a little, hmm, improper?

My expectations are pretty low at this point, but I'm not going to go around throwing the game under the bus without even having seen it outside of a compressed video stream.

edit: Of course, once you have played it first hand, calling the game the biggest steaming pile of dog shit ever made is totally OK. ;)

Oh, and one last thing, sometimes threads like these tend to get people riled up and certain users will start spamming the thread over and over with the same overall comments. I hope that doesn't happen here.

I still have some faith in Gearbox that maybe it can be salvaged if there are a lot of issues at launch.

Faith in Gearbox ? The same company behind Duke Nukem Forever LOL :rolleyes:
Mr Broussard was at far greater fault there than Mr Pritchford. Randy's shortcomings are minor compared to the over-ambitiousness and what George thought was an endless supply of money.

I think you can get a good idea about how any given game is going to be like by watching youtube videos and stuff like that. That being said, I do think it's a little silly to go hellbent on trashing the game without at least playing it first

seems like the people trashing the game are basing it on official reviews and gameplay while the people intent on purchasing it are basing it on the hope that the game will be good...there are quite a few official reviews online (mostly from overseas where the game has launched) but they all are pretty bad...I'm a huge Aliens fan and would buy this in a second if I really believed it was a good game...people need to face reality that yes the game may actually be bad

wanting it to be good or hoping it is good is one thing but blindly looking for any sliver of hope to justify their purchase is another...if you want to buy knowing it might be a bad game then go for it...and no you don't buy the game first and then form an opinion...it's the opposite...you read reviews first and then decide whether or not to buy it

seems like the people trashing the game are basing it on official reviews and gameplay while the people intent on purchasing it are basing it on the hope that the game will be good...there are quite a few official reviews online (mostly from overseas where the game has launched) but they all are pretty bad...I'm a huge Aliens fan and would buy this in a second if I really believed it was a good game...people need to face reality that yes the game may actually be bad

wanting it to be good or hoping it is good is one thing but blindly looking for any sliver of hope to justify their purchase is another...if you want to buy knowing it might be a bad game then go for it...and no you don't buy the game first and then form an opinion...it's the opposite...you read reviews first and then decide whether or not to buy it

I didn't say anything about hoping the game was still good or pretending not to hear anything bad about it. All I said is that forming your final opinion on a game without ever having played it is tasteless in my opinion, that's all.

here's another IGN user review...

"Aliens isn't scary at all,its lackluster with a short campaign worst characters and a bland multiplayer. Don't buy this don't even rent this game, instead just walk away and cry in a fetal position"

Rating: 3.5

http://www.ign.com/blogs/heydude/2013/02/11/aliens-colonial-marines-review

geez the game is not just getting bad reviews...but absolutely brutal ones...havn't seen a score yet over 5 (out of 10)

Come on, that's not even a realistic review. The guy says the graphics are "cartoony" (low-quality, maybe, but certainly not cartoony) and that you shouldn't even rent it, just cry in a corner. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's bad but that guy is a fucking troll.

It looks like the PC version has significantly better graphics than the console version. Phew.

Well in another forum several people have unlocked it via VPN and they have confirmed that it's pretty fucking bad. Tons of glitches, horrible graphics, terrible AI, and single player not worth playing at all.

If get message about missing executable try this:
"buddy go into steam folder delete appcacche but back it up on flash drive then right click on steam to close it then restart steam, it will then start an update for the game then it works !!!!! "

I had this problem and the suggestion worked.

the game is not just getting bad reviews...but absolutely brutal ones...havn't seen a score yet over 5 (out of 10)

Thank you.

@Colonel Sanders:

Guess I'm not just being "stubborn" or "trolling", eh?

Don't make it out to be as if I'm just being ignorant or stubborn. What the hell is "people like me"? Don't make personal judgments, man. You don't know me, nor have I displayed any ignorant behavior, or said anything that did not have any basis or that lacked intelligence.

You can get an extremely clear feel for a game by watching five hours of footage that clearly shows how bad it plays. For the last damn time: I don't need to use my own KB/M to know what the hell I'm looking at.

I've been objective, and can clearly see how bad the mechanics are, the animations, the complete lack of atmosphere, the horrid voice acting, the bad pacing etc, and obviously I'm far from the only one.

I was never out to hate the game. I wanted it to succeed, intensely. But since it's a horrid mess and an inexcusable travesty, clearly visible and audible to the human senses, perhaps it's the ones making me sound "bull-headed" who are truly ignorant, only perceiving things how they want to, out of their own one-eyed, desperate desire to see the game succeed.

I'm not here to argue, attack or make enemies. I'm not here to troll. But a spade is a damn spade. What the hell do what you from me... or the countless other people with the same damn perspective as mine. It is what it is, and no amount of trying to sound "reasonable" by stating that "because you haven't played it..." bullshit is going to make your point valid.

I simply pointed people to things that show how blatantly horrible this is, and that they might have wanted to see/know going into the game. I'm as disappointed as anyone, if not more so. I wasn't "making multiple posts to attack the game". I, like anyone else, have been posting my thoughts and facts on the game, based on physical evidence, as they were being presented, so that others would also get a feel for what they might be getting into.

Excuse me, for attempting to inform people with things they might want to see because, upon seeing it, maybe they save themselves five hours and $60, and go play something that's not a complete waste of their time and money.

Watch it with the personal attacks/judgments, man. That's your own bad attitude and warped perspectives.

Excuse me, for attempting to inform people with things they might want to see because, upon seeing it, maybe they save themselves five hours and $60, and go play something that's not a complete waste of their time and money.

I agree that people that don't post positive impressions seem to be unjustly labeled as trolls...sometimes a game just flat out disappoints no matter how much we want it to be good...after the reputable gaming sites post their reviews today I don't think there will be any doubt (even from the most ardent supporters) that the game is a total turd...I've read enough reviews to know that the game will not be very good...save the $59.99 for Crysis 3 next week...wait for the $5.99 Steam sale on A:CM in the Spring

Ok I loaded it up for a bit after my maintenances

Graphics - Yeah its outdated, by outdated I mean it looks like COD. Fairly typical UE3 graphics. Sucks but meh. This isn't RAGE worthy. No weird giant low res texture just nothing pretty persay. No advanced graphical options.

Bugs - no bugginess. It launched just fine. The alien animations actually look very smooth. They move incredibly fast so you gotta get them the sec they come in. It's maybe 3 hits to the face and your dead. The only thing that again goes back to the datedness is that the humans sometimes do the slide walk. If you don't know what I'm talking about you don't play enough videogames. The aliens don't move very organically around corners They'll be walking along a wall hit a corner and just flip to the other side.

Gameplay - It's fine so far. Kind of intense. I read somewhere there weren't crosshairs there are. The gameplay has that typical smoothness of UE3 no complaints no bugs. Shooting feels right. I think I like everyone else blew myself immediately when the tutorial says "Click F for grenade launcher".

The voice acting is fine I have no clue what people are talking about but I'm 20 minutes in.

Overall I'm not as immediately butthurt as I was when I bought homefront. I've been dying for an aliens game and they gave one so that fuels me more than some people who might not be aliens fans.

The value of this thing is gonna hinge on the multiplayer and co-op. The multiplayer has looked ok from what I've seen.

I hate to say it I would suggest waiting for a multiplayer weekend. If you were buying this thinking you'd be getting something glorious and beautiful you're out of luck.

Ya...I stayed up ttill 12am to play this fukin' game.....Bought it 2 months ago...been waiting for it since I saw it in 2008.....I just made it passed thw 3rd checkpoint.....WTF over....Graphics are dated as others been saying...Jimminy fuk sakes though...total port bullshit...I mean, sliders of all things for game settings...Reminds me of Star wars force unleashed console port crap....

I am gonna play again after this, but over 4 years, Gearbox puts into this game....you would really think this game would rock....

well the embargo is lifted and the reviews from reputable mainstream sites are starting to trickle out...here are 2 sites I trust with gaming reviews...

Destructoid- 2.5/10

Eurogamer- 3/10

can anyone with a straight face still actually be posting about how great the graphics are or how good the game is?...even MavericK96 and Colonel Sanders have to give in and admit that the game is terrible...not just bad but straight up awful...I'm not even interested in buying this for cheap during a Steam sale anymore...I'll just replay AvP (2010) for my Alien fix...Col Sanders: this is the exact reason why people need to wait for reviews and not just blindly buy games before having the right to form an opinion

http://www.destructoid.com/review-aliens-colonial-marines-244276.phtml

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-12-aliens-colonial-marines-review

Last edited:
I wonder how Pitchford will respond to all thoose shitty reviews.. damn thoose are really brutal scores after all theese years we get this POS ?

I played for a bit and wish I had held out for a bit, meh.

Graphics in some area's look ok, the lighting, shadows, etc (mainly in the Alien area's) but there are some TERRIBLE extremely low-res textures that just make no sense why they'd be there.

Early on when you get into the dropship hanger and find the "Half" torse of the synthetic, look at the bombs that are sitting around, try to read the numbers on them, they are HUGE but the textures are so blurry/low res it's just jarring if you notice it.

The sound design is the best thing about the game, for me at least so far. THe sound of th emotion ticker, rifle, etc sounds straight up right out of the movies.

Gameplay wise is where things are mixed. Movement, shooting, etc feels fine, but the AI is just atrocious.

The aliens all seem to make a straight up LINE for you, literally you'l see aliens that will just run past an AI npc and come straight for you, it just feels and looks "gamey" and detracts from the experience. Your friendly AI? Terrible, one of the worst AI's in games, even worse then CoD, they are literally just window dressing, do not expect them to hit things or be that helpful, but do expect them to get stuck and require you to backtrack to find them.

The storyline, and voice acting, both seem to be decent so far. I haven't gotten that far in really. This and the sound design can make some things tense, but once gameplay starts flying and you're shooting at aliens you'll likely see the AI doing stupid things that draw you out of it.

It seems to me that Gearbox didn't learn anything from DNF. They seemed to have picked this game up partly through development and instead of starting over and doing it fully themselves they just tweaked things here and there. It feel sjust like how DNF was, old, patched together, outdated, rough.

I do not get this, because when Gearbox makes games themselves (the BIA games mainly) they can be fun and look great. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway looks far and ahead better/more detailed then this game, and it came out years ago.

I might have considered it a good $10 purchase for the storyline, but buying it at $30 even I wish I had waited and not pre ordered it.

"Judged purely as an official addendum to the movie canon, Colonial Marines is poor quality fan fiction: a repetitive catalogue of pre-existing scenarios and ideas, remixed and regurgitated until all that remains is pulp and husk. That it then proceeds to take a long hot piss all over the established series chronology, just to set up a predictable and pointless cameo, is a twist of the knife too far.

Colonial Marines aims low and it still misses the target, and that's almost entirely because of the wretched game engine

[...]
Nothing feels real. There's no weight to the world, no physical feedback, with characters gliding around on top of it rather than feeling rooted in the space. The incredibly flaky collision detection simply seals the deal. The game feels like it's constantly on the verge of collapsing completely, and one of the only positive things that can be said about it is that it never quite does.

It's shocking stuff, certainly one of the most glitchy mainstream releases of this hardware generation, and the sort of thing that would barely pass muster as a low budget game from 2002."

Eurogamer gave it 3/10.... not touching this game then.

i212wUcwcU0eE.gif

Yeah, I'm gonna hold off on this one.

I played for a bit and wish I had held out for a bit, meh.

Graphics in some area's look ok, the lighting, shadows, etc (mainly in the Alien area's) but there are some TERRIBLE extremely low-res textures that just make no sense why they'd be there.

Early on when you get into the dropship hanger and find the "Half" torse of the synthetic, look at the bombs that are sitting around, try to read the numbers on them, they are HUGE but the textures are so blurry/low res it's just jarring if you notice it.

The sound design is the best thing about the game, for me at least so far. THe sound of th emotion ticker, rifle, etc sounds straight up right out of the movies.

Gameplay wise is where things are mixed. Movement, shooting, etc feels fine, but the AI is just atrocious.

The aliens all seem to make a straight up LINE for you, literally you'l see aliens that will just run past an AI npc and come straight for you, it just feels and looks "gamey" and detracts from the experience. Your friendly AI? Terrible, one of the worst AI's in games, even worse then CoD, they are literally just window dressing, do not expect them to hit things or be that helpful, but do expect them to get stuck and require you to backtrack to find them.

The storyline, and voice acting, both seem to be decent so far. I haven't gotten that far in really. This and the sound design can make some things tense, but once gameplay starts flying and you're shooting at aliens you'll likely see the AI doing stupid things that draw you out of it.

It seems to me that Gearbox didn't learn anything from DNF. They seemed to have picked this game up partly through development and instead of starting over and doing it fully themselves they just tweaked things here and there. It feel sjust like how DNF was, old, patched together, outdated, rough.

I do not get this, because when Gearbox makes games themselves (the BIA games mainly) they can be fun and look great. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway looks far and ahead better/more detailed then this game, and it came out years ago.

I might have considered it a good $10 purchase for the storyline, but buying it at $30 even I wish I had waited and not pre ordered it.

To be fair, they did pick up DNF when the single player was completely done and their only involvement was hiring an outside studio to do multiplayer and working with the small team of former 3DRealms people as they put the final touches on it/get the ports done. At that point, 2K just wanted the game out. Even if Gearbox had wanted to there was simply never going to be a chance to do anything with the game except release it.

As far as this game goes, it's actually a completely different situation. Gearbox has insisted that this Alien: Colonial Marines has nothing to do with the game Fox canceled in 2001. It's likely that Gearbox did develop this game from the ground up, but they have had a long time to work on it. Despite Pitchford's claims, it really seems like no one gave a shit about the game. Even for all the problems AvP 2010 had, it still felt like Rebellion tried to make a good game but were unable to because they're a terrible developer.

I'm about 75 minutes into it and I regret the early purchase. This is a game you want to pick up for $20 from a Steam sale, not preload and go to sleep early so you can wake up to play it at unlock time like I just did. What a waste of energy

First impression is I'm bored because this game has some of the worst pacing in any single player game I've ever played. So far it seems like a rush to cram in as much of the iconoography from ALIENS as possible into the first two missions. Ten minutes into the game everything has gone to hell and you're deep inside an alien coccoon, using the power loader, and already sick of how loud the motion tracker is.

The graphics are below average for a AAA title on the U3 engine if you ask me. The very first thing you see in the game is a model of Cpl Hicks from the movie and the character looks awful and low-res with stiff animation. The character animations are stiff and glitchy as hell. Apart from the lighting which is decent, the graphics seem to be about on the level of the 2006 Brothers in Arms game from Gearbox. Biggest complaint is the prevalence of low res textures.

will wait for a steam sale :)

replaying Skyrim atm as it is, man does Skyrim just suck you in lol

I wonder how Pitchford will respond to all thoose shitty reviews.. damn thoose are really brutal scores after all theese years we get this POS ?

If I'm Randy I'm calling in sick today and just letting the water run over me in the shower for a few hours

Last edited:
The game looks as if it is in some kind of foetal pre-alpha stage, developed barely enough to make actual videos of. It has looked like crap ever since it was unveiled, it's a shame that it never got any better, at least from reviews and player feedback.

I'm sure there will be some buyer's-regret fanboys charging around all the different gaming forums in the next few days, as well as a few shills, but the negativity coming from this game's release is pretty loud.

To be fair, they did pick up DNF when the single player was completely done and their only involvement was hiring an outside studio to do multiplayer and working with the small team of former 3DRealms people as they put the final touches on it/get the ports done. At that point, 2K just wanted the game out. Even if Gearbox had wanted to there was simply never going to be a chance to do anything with the game except release it.

As far as this game goes, it's actually a completely different situation. Gearbox has insisted that this Alien: Colonial Marines has nothing to do with the game Fox canceled in 2001. It's likely that Gearbox did develop this game from the ground up, but they have had a long time to work on it. Despite Pitchford's claims, it really seems like no one gave a shit about the game. Even for all the problems AvP 2010 had, it still felt like Rebellion tried to make a good game but were unable to because they're a terrible developer.

It just doesn't make sense then, because Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (Which is a UE3 game) looks better imo and has better texture detail then this game as a whole.

It really does feel like an "older" game that's be released as a modern one, much like how DNF is.

As far as Rebellion, the first AVP game they made back in the 90's was great imo, and I enjoy the Sniper Elite games, they've put out more "good" games then Gearbox has, at least from my experience.

Gearbox has had BIA and Borderlands, and that's about it as far as decent games go, and imo Borderlands is only regarded as a good game IF it's played with other people. Playing single player it can be quite boring and seems overrated.

..just cry in a corner. :rolleyes:

thinking of it..

i think i will bro.. i have all four alien movies, the 1987 predator and the 2004 avp and ALL the dark horse comics about both aliens and predator published since the 90's... <user D4rkn3ss cries in a corner...> :(

So, I'm seeing at lot of comments on other sites that state Gearbox basically outsourced most of the game. Timegate Studios (Section 8 and the F.E.A.R expansions people) did the single player while Nerve Software (they've done some work on other games) handled most of the multiplayer.

Back