Aliens; Colonial Marines a Sci/Fi L4D ?

question for anyone playing. Somehow I've lost my pulse rifle and instead I have two shotguns. One is an 8/8 with 4 gernades and one is 6/6 and says Hicks on it. Anyone know what I did exactly?

Nvm found the weapon inventory. Flamethrower? sweet.

Wow, Gearbox really outsourced this? After all their hype around it...I am disappoint, Gearbox.

Did you get a chance to play it yet?

I'm about to. Here goes nothing.

I'm shocked you ended up buying the game...you were posting so much about how disappointing the early previews and gameplay footage was and then all of a sudden you did a 360 and ended up buying it on release day?...always trust your instincts

It was a little more gradual than that based on some other feedback I'd seen but, all told...yeah, I should have waited and I stayed with my gut.

I'm about to fire this up now and see what's what.

AVP 2010 looks like a work of genius compared to this piece of shit. I'll probably finish the Predator campaign from that game before ever going back to play Gearbox's crapfest agin. $50 down the toilet.

the AvP game from 2010 was pretty good and highly underrated...I just recently played it for the first time and was surprised...most importantly it got the atmosphere right...nailed the Alien and Predator movements...graphics were stunning in DX11...gameplay was average at best but the game nailed the feeling of playing as a Marine, Alien and Predator...I'm going to replay that game for my Alien fix and everyone else even remotely interested in Colonial Marines should do the same

I'm early into the SP so far and I'll say that's it not a very glowing first impression. This isn't what I expect a AAA license and title in the year 2012-13 to run and look like.

Hats off to them for getting Biehn and Henriksen in for voice overs. The music composer got the James Horner feel down pretty good. Good sound effects from the movies.

Overall a pretty ho-hum feel so far. Gameplay is basically rail shooter stuff from middle of last decade give or take. Props for FOV slider in the menus.

For a roughly comparable genre and game: Dead Space 3 blows this thing away. I can tell you that much right now. For the people that were bashing that game and especially its graphics? Forget it. Play this or watch the videos. It's not even close.

Will try MP later today.

lmao, what a disaster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5WwV9YoW_U

this is a joke right? there really is no "pacifist mode" is there :(

I can't speak to that yet but I can say: It's hard to believe this is a brand new game in the year 2013. 2005-7 thereabouts I could believe it.

I'm really amazed this thing came out this sub par, all told.

I hope this is the biggest gaming waste of money I make this year. I'm going to do my best to make sure it is. If MP doesn't grab me I could easily see uninstalling this in the next day or two and taking my just dues for that.

Lesson learned. I really didn't think it was going to be THIS sub par.

The haters are right about this one, folks. Sorry to say. At least by what I'm seeing so far. I'm making myself play it. That ought to tell you something right there.

the AvP game from 2010 was pretty good and highly underrated...I just recently played it for the first time and was surprised...most importantly it got the atmosphere right...nailed the Alien and Predator movements...graphics were stunning in DX11...gameplay was average at best but the game nailed the feeling of playing as a Marine, Alien and Predator...I'm going to replay that game for my Alien fix and everyone else even remotely interested in Colonial Marines should do the same

I never tried it, because it actually seemed to have a lot of imbalance between the three different campaigns, and the gameplay was said to be "meh". Is the Alien movement/animation etc actually decent enough to warrant buying it?

I don't even think people are still playing the MP, are they?

I'm cant stand the Predator, so I've no interest in playing anything other than the Alien.

lmao, what a disaster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5WwV9YoW_U

this is a joke right? there really is no "pacifist mode" is there :(

Pacifist mode? lol

No, that cant be real, can it? I think maybe the guy who made the vid was be facetious. I'd hope. But then again, with this game, I think any ridiculous travesty would be a viable possibility, lol.

Though it's really not funny. I'm still waiting to see if Steam will refund me since I requested it when it was still a pre-order.

wow you just refuse to accept that the game is bad...mixed bag lol?...of course you can find some 9/10 reviews from best-gamer-you-can-trust.com but c'mon guy...I've never seen a AAA game receive so many scores below 5 from major, reputable gaming websites...sites like Eurogamer (3/10), Destructoid (2.5/10), ArsTechnica (Verdict= skip)...and even though I personally don't trust their reviews as much as other sites even high scoring GameSpot gave the game a 4.5/10...yes even GameSpot gave the game that score!!...even IGN gave the game 4.5/10

It's a mixed bag because a lot of user reviews seem to range from "not bad" to "meh", whereas review sites are trashing it.

No one is calling this game amazing, but so far I've seen more or less a few types of people in this thread:

-People who were excited for the game but are disappointed by reviews
-People who have actually played the game and generally think it's meh
-Trolls who have been bashing the game long before any real reviews came out, and have never even played it

if you want to buy and play the game despite what anyone says then more power to you but to blindly ignore anyone who says otherwise is making you look like a fanboy

I'm only choosing to ignore trolls, and your posts are making you sound like a troll, so...I guess we are what we are?

I never tried it, because it actually seemed to have a lot of imbalance between the three different campaigns, and the gameplay was said to be "meh". Is the Alien movement/animation etc actually decent enough to warrant buying it?

I'm cant stand the Predator, so I've no interest in playing anything other than the Alien.

This is where polonyc2 and I can agree...AvP 2010 was highly underrated and I had a ton of fun with the MP. At launch it had several issues, which is probably what led to the mediocre reviews and response, but after some patching it got a lot better. The only real issue it still has (I assume, anyway) is MP balance, but none of the AvP games have ever been truly balanced in MP...it's apparently just too hard to do with a three-way asymmetrical game like that.

I'd love to play AvP 2010 MP again, but like you said I think the MP scene has died down to almost nothing, sadly.

i212wUcwcU0eE.gif

THis did it for me. I'll pick it up when it's $20... for the multiplayer and what I hope will be significant post-launch patch improvements. The PennyArcade Report's review was very thorough and pointed to significant, non-opinion issues.

This is the worst money I've spent on a game since paying pretty much full pop for ALONE IN THE DARK (2008 PC version).

This is where I'm at with the addition of:

I really didn't expect to be this let down by it even with the warnings, the hate, and everything we've seen. I don't know if I was in denial or what but...damn.

This is really one of the biggest gaming letdowns I've had in a while.

This is the worst money I've spent on a game since paying pretty much full pop for ALONE IN THE DARK (2008 PC version).

I never made that particular mistake. I've got to think about the last time I made this kind of mistake and was letdown like this. It's been a while. I usually make pretty good gaming choices all told.

I'm annoyed with myself. I know better than this. ;)

It's a mixed bag because a lot of user reviews seem to range from "not bad" to "meh", whereas review sites are trashing it.

No one is calling this game amazing, but so far I've seen more or less a few types of people in this thread:

-People who were excited for the game but are disappointed by reviews
-Trolls who have been bashing the game long before any real reviews came out, and have never even played it

I'm only choosing to ignore trolls, and your posts are making you sound like a troll, so...I guess we are what we are?

No, polonyc2 is right, it almost seems like you really do refuse to accept reality.

How many times must it be said that no one was "trolling"?

When you watch hours of video on a game where you can clearly see with your own eyes the quality of a game, you don't need a review to tell you it's bad.

Unless, of course, it's someone who has no mind of their own, and need to be spoon-fed the opinions of some other human who means nothing, who's opinion is no more valid than anyone else's, because they cant think/make decisions for themselves and need "validation" of some sort one way or the other.

No one has just been throwing around unjustified information or opinions. They've been doing what any sane, self-trusting person would do: look at the evidence, and giving their feedback based on factual evidence anyone could see with their own eyes, which has all been horrible disappointment, because the game is terrible and most of us wanted it to succeed.

Last edited:

AvP is always on sale on Steam for under $8 so at that price it's a no-brainer...gameplay is meh and the MP is now pretty much dead but it does get a lot of things right overall...the Predator is overpowered but since MP is dead it's not an issue in SP...the audio is perfect (the Alien hissing, the Marine's motion sensor etc)...playing as an Alien is a bit strange due to its fast movement and wall climbing but I still thought it was fun (there is a setting in the gameplay options where you can enable 'auto-transitioning' for the alien where you no longer have to manually control the alien's climbing...it's disorienting but I preffered that over manually jumping which was annoying)...slow attack, fast attack, grab etc all are used to great effect

unlike Colonial Marines the aliens actually attack you from all angles--walls, sides etc and don't always come straight ahead...the game really feels like an Alien game which is the most important aspect

I was never one to preorder a game, I only used to preorder FIFA every year, but knew that game would always be good every year.

I preordered Nascar 2011 The Game. I will never pre-order a game again. The game was completely broken both offline and online. Biggest scam in gaming history. Yellow flags didn't work, AI was horrendous, the race would start with all the cars crashing into each other. Online was competely broken. Mess of a game.

Got burned again on War-Z, enough said on that one. At least with War-Z I had my $20 worth having SOME fun and maybe 10 hours of playtime.

It seems these days developers are releasing more rushed junk shovelware. Be careful out there.

THis did it for me. I'll pick it up when it's $20... for the multiplayer and what I hope will be significant post-launch patch improvements. The PennyArcade Report's review was very thorough and pointed to significant, non-opinion issues.

940cd4ab_Tx6e4Ik.gif

:D

oh man I love ripley... I sure hope she's not disappointed by this little turd

oh man I love ripley... I sure hope she's not disappointed by this little turd

She's probably in the process of hurling herself out of an airlock as we speak, lol.

Or stroking the head of a sad, distraught Alien, telling it over and over, "It'll be alright. Some day, someone will get it right", lol.

The only real issue it still has (I assume, anyway) is MP balance, but none of the AvP games have ever been truly balanced in MP...it's apparently just too hard to do with a three-way asymmetrical game like that.

I'd love to play AvP 2010 MP again, but like you said I think the MP scene has died down to almost nothing, sadly.

In defence of the balance issue, I think some imbalance between the races kind of serves the game. After all Predators are walking weapons of mass destruction, Aliens Zerg Rush with high speed from the shadows and puny Marines are stuck in the between. Thats how it kind of should be.

In defence of the balance issue, I think some imbalance between the races kind of serves the game. After all Predators are walking weapons of mass destruction, Aliens Zerg Rush with high speed from the shadows and puny Marines are stuck in the between. Thats how it kind of should be.

True, but it depends on how the teams are balanced. If you get 4v4v4 for each race, it's hugely unbalanced. I think generally the game tries to address this by only allowing one Predator for every 2 or 3 of the other races.

I love that this game came out right while we're talking about demos killing game sales. I can't imagine why this game doesn't have a demo. ;)

Dear god, that review is f***ing terrible. There is no detail, no explanation of why anything is good. It's nothing but vague terms and flowery language. That is possibly one of the worst "professional" reviews I have read in a long time. It feels like a s***** Amazon user review. There is absolutely nothing in that review that justifies ANY score, much less 9/10. It is complete trash.

This is going to go down like the Kayne and Lynch 2 fiasco did. I guess it doesn't matter though since EGM is only a husk. Shame too, loved the mag growing up.

Rage is light years better than A:CM, the only thing that sucked about Rage was the ending. The gunplay and combat were extremely satisfying.

I can't say yet whether or not it's better than A:CM, but saying the "only thing" wrong with Rage was the ending is an egregious fallacy. I really tried to like Rage, but in the end I couldn't play for more than an hour or so before getting bored. I didn't see anything special about the gunplay or combat, just the most basic of basics for a shooter.

And that's saying nothing of the numerous technical issues.

No wonder this game took so long to come out, they kept trying to think about what they were going to do with this piece of shit.

No wonder this game took so long to come out, they kept trying to think about what they were going to do with this piece of shit.

Like a number of us were talking about yesterday: It's mind boggling to me as much fan service, demand, grade A popular franchise...all those factors...and we really couldn't get something better than this?

C'mon.

I can't say yet whether or not it's better than A:CM, but saying the "only thing" wrong with Rage was the ending is an egregious fallacy. I really tried to like Rage, but in the end I couldn't play for more than an hour or so before getting bored. I didn't see anything special about the gunplay or combat, just the most basic of basics for a shooter.

And that's saying nothing of the numerous technical issues.

Subjective opinion. I wasn't stating mine as fact.

Subjective opinion. I wasn't stating mine as fact.

Fair enough. ;) Just wondering if you had remembered all of the Rage threads when it came out...

Back on topic...

Has anyone tried the MP yet? So far it seems it's considerably better than SP, but not amazing still.

LOL, now people around the place are claiming it's not Gearbox who developed this, but it was outsourced.

Sega says otherwise: Gearbox is the developer.

I've played the first hour of the campaign and ain't that bad but its not great either. It actually gets some what better after the first hour or so once you reach LV426. The level design is decent since there are some areas on LV426 that will remind you of the movie. Its got some touches like that for the fans.

The gameplay feels old school with how ammo and armor is placed around. The AI is terrible though like when you fight the mercs at the start. They will use windows for cover which you shoot at and they can break. They still stay behind the broken window as if they are still in cover, they don't run from grenades either. The whole game has very 90's old school gameplay vibe to it the way the AI reacts.

since I have no intention of playing this can someone reveal using spoiler tags who the returning character from the films that makes an appearance is (which according to reviewers doesn't make a lick of sense)?...please tell me it's not Ripley

Back