Aliens; Colonial Marines a Sci/Fi L4D ?

Yeah, though it sounds like partially Sega's fault. Sega has fucked up a lot of things, but I agree that Gearbox was primarily responsible, if this is true. Seems like all they cared about was Borderlands and didn't give a shit about this game, despite how big of "Aliens fans" they were.

I don't really think Sega's to be at fault for anything other then they should of sued the shit out of Gearbox. The miss management of company resources to not fulfill your contract and force yourself to do nothing but ask for an extention is horrible business practices. It also sounds like they turned a complete blind eye to TimeGate instead of doing check ups on the company making the other HALF OF YOUR GAME!!!! how can you only see your product at 85%?!! guh that pisses me off!

What I got to watch and play (we only got 20mins I think) to play a small working demo of this last year at comic-con, this is pretty similar. Don't get me wrong, last year it wasn't fun at all, this has some challenge to it but mostly it still sucks. I'm just a sucker for the Aliens franchise. I think Sega and Fox should re-do this and go with a different developer next time.

Pretty sure this is the first game I've played that didn't cause my GPU to go to 3D clock speeds with Vsync on. I kept thinking something was wrong, but no, just crappy.

Total Biscuit's thoughts on the game and pre-ordering in general: http://youtu.be/mf5Uj4XIT1Y

NOT a review.

I disagree with him on this.

I pre-ordered Aliens because I had work the same night and completedly trusted the game to be decent based on the played through presented by pitchford so I wanted to play it as soon as it launched. I don't think people cared about the preorder bonus. Everyone just wanted to play it right away.

I have to agree the Demo Pitchford presented was completely misrepresentative of the gameplay. I really hope somebody or sega puts the hammer down on Gearbox for lying up to the prerelease.

I think you kind of missed the point he was trying to make though. He acknowledged most didn't pre-order the game for the "sharp stick," but rather on blind faith in the franchise. So basically, buying whatever shite they pump out just because it has Brand ____ on it. In this case, Aliens.

Thanks gearbox.:)

Hi there

Thanks for playing Aliens: Colonial Marines on Steam while logged in to SHiFT!

As a reward for playing this game, you have received the following:

- 'Gear Upgrade Boost'
- 'Welcome to Shift!'
And because you have played other SHiFT games in the past, we've also unlocked the following additional reward(s) for you:

- 'Borderlands 2 - Steam - 3 Golden Keys'

Happy gaming!
- The SHiFT Team

I think you kind of missed the point he was trying to make though. He acknowledged most didn't pre-order the game for the "sharp stick," but rather on blind faith in the franchise. So basically, buying whatever shite they pump out just because it has Brand ____ on it. In this case, Aliens.

I don't know I'm still but at 16 minutes and hes still harping on about people being stupid for buying games for preorder bonuses.

But, again I have to note Pitchford sold a segment as being ingame play and it obviously isn't. It wasn't blind faith. It's kind of disheartening. This is the first game I've pre-ordered possibly in the last year. All the gameplay videos and trailers made this out to be a very different game.

I just knew that as soon as the reviews came in, everyone would be rushing to absolve Gearbox of any wrongdoing and point the finger at someone else.

It's Gearbox's project, Gearbox's name on the box. The buck stops there.

But, again I have to note Pitchford sold a segment as being ingame play and it obviously isn't. It wasn't blind faith. It's kind of disheartening. This is the first game I've pre-ordered possibly in the last year. All the gameplay videos and trailers made this out to be a very different game.

People need to stop believing Pitchford. He is a pathological liar and should be sued for several counts of false advertising.

Gearbox is officially on my shitlist.

Yeah I kinda stopped believing Gearboxes "previews" after their Brothers in Arms 3 reveal in E3 or whatever. The released product was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from that preview; significantly dumbed down in terms of gameplay and a bunch of features cut.

I understand features get cut all the time and scope can change mid-project, but they mentioned none of this and many people actually expected the game to at least be on par with the earlier games (which is what the E3 videos showed). What we got instead was a pretty simple Gears of War-esque cover shooter.

I think I'm affected by a bit of Stockholme Syndrome because I'm on mission 4? Right after you escape the ship and I don't wanna go to bed I'm actually enjoying this. As someone else stated this feels like a game that should have come out 2005-2007. Being an older gamer I think I'm less affected by the graphics. If a games graphical capability meet whats needed to put you in the game I'm pretty ok with it. I definitely disagree with reviewers on a few points. The Loader drives exactly the way you imagine it would. I have no problems manuverring it. The game has lots of tense moments. I have an AAH moment when on the ship you're running around on a platform that collapses and you get dumped into a water canal full of Aliens. I will agree however the story and characters are very generic and uninteresting.. MIssion 2 I was just like " I liked this better when it was called FEAR." The game plays more like a Universal studios ride than a valid entry into the franchise. All that said, still poop save your money for a $9.99 sale. I can't say I'd even pay $20 for this.

Yeah I kinda stopped believing Gearboxes "previews" after their Brothers in Arms 3 reveal in E3 or whatever. The released product was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from that preview; significantly dumbed down in terms of gameplay and a bunch of features cut.

I understand features get cut all the time and scope can change mid-project, but they mentioned none of this and many people actually expected the game to at least be on par with the earlier games (which is what the E3 videos showed). What we got instead was a pretty simple Gears of War-esque cover shooter.

What changed? To my knowledge there was the "mortar" squad which got cut out, but apart from that I don't remember anything else really being cut/made differently.

As far as the gameplay, that's how the other 2 played, and it was before Gears of War. IMO that's about the best way to have squad gameplay in terms of also casting you as a character. Squads worked fine in HH and AI was a lot smarter then in A:CM.

Cool. Even since the game rebooted I knew it's going to suck hard. I hope now people realize how much this Randy Pitchford guy lies and stop believing all the crap he spews.

Well, I must admit that after reading the reviews my expectations were rock bottom. However, dare I say, this is actually better than the last AVP game. The marines campaign is very true to the movies in terms of atmosphere and location etc. However, yes, the AI is pretty crap, yes, the Aliens slide sometimes and the animations suck hard. Even with all of that I am still enjoying it. It is a bit strange but maybe I want to tell myself that the $30 I spent on it aren't that bad lol.

Overall, the game is solid on rails shooter. The graphics are serviceable and the gunplay is not bad at all. With badass difficulty, and no HUD, the game is indeed challenging and I do die at least once or twice on a mission. The AI, even with its ridiculous movement patterns etc does a decent job of killing me when the Aliens hunt in packs and/or I get gun fire up my ass.

I give the game a 6/10 instead of the average 4-5/10 that you guys have been seeing. I think I may also do a co op run with a friend if possible. All said and done, it is a piss poor game in terms of today's standards but it is still fun and some of the voice dialog is downright cliche hilarious and worth playing the game alone for that.

P.S. Upgrading guns and stuff is also good.

Also, do not play the game on anything other than Ultimate Badass Difficulty. Everything else pretty much sucks. Without the HUD the game is actually intense.

heh, downloaded from the usual suspects, installed, killed xeno, saved keyes (i think that was his name), grabbed the flight recorder, shoot some more xenos, exit and uninstalled the game. all in all, i just wasted 30 minutes of my life lol

heh, downloaded from the usual suspects, installed, killed xeno, saved keyes (i think that was his name), grabbed the flight recorder, shoot some more xenos, exit and uninstalled the game. all in all, i just wasted 30 minutes of my life lol

You showed them. Did you want a piracy cookie?

Last edited:
Anyone interested in some co-op this weekend or Friday evening? I'd love to do co-op through the campaign instead of just solo.

Would be down for some party MP as well. Steam name is MavericK99966.

Thanks gearbox.:)

Hi there

Thanks for playing Aliens: Colonial Marines on Steam while logged in to SHiFT!

As a reward for playing this game, you have received the following:

- 'Gear Upgrade Boost'
- 'Welcome to Shift!'
And because you have played other SHiFT games in the past, we've also unlocked the following additional reward(s) for you:

- 'Borderlands 2 - Steam - 3 Golden Keys'

Happy gaming!
- The SHiFT Team

I got the same email...however, I'm not quite sure what the "Gear Upgrade Boost" is, exactly?

Looks like Gearbox only did multiplayer.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/aliens...t-was-a-total-train-wreck-says-ex-dev-6403761

"I used to work at Gearbox, and the development of that game has been a total train wreck, going on what, 6 years now? Gearbox isn't even making the game, except for the multiplayer. Primary development was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, which has a less than stellar past."

This explains everything.

I just knew that as soon as the reviews came in, everyone would be rushing to absolve Gearbox of any wrongdoing and point the finger at someone else.

It's Gearbox's project, Gearbox's name on the box. The buck stops there.

People need to stop believing Pitchford. He is a pathological liar and should be sued for several counts of false advertising.

Gearbox is officially on my shitlist.

Can't disagree with this.

If they'd made this an overglorified Borderlands clone with Aliens trapping they'd have been way better off than the likes of this. There's no excuses for this game whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear from Gearbox about their fuck-up, and, more importantly, how they are going to MAKE IT RIGHT.

AI overhaul, HD textures and mod tools would be a start.

I honestly think MP will be fun once they iron out the balance issues, but frankly you'd be better off playing AvP 2010 (assuming there was still an MP community).

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear from Gearbox about their fuck-up, and, more importantly, how they are going to MAKE IT RIGHT.

Recall the game and bring it back in 6-12 months is about the only way I could see fixing it.

AI overhaul, HD textures and mod tools would be a start.

Yup. Easier said than done, though. Especially that AI detail.

I honestly think MP will be fun once they iron out the balance issues, but frankly you'd be better off playing AvP 2010 (assuming there was still an MP community).

I think AVP 2010, lumps and all, is a better game. Even SP. That's not saying much, but still. I appreciate it more now after this.

Did that many people actually pre-order? Why would they do that? Was it discounted or something?

Did that many people actually pre-order? Why would they do that? Was it discounted or something?

It was at the top of the Steam sales list before it launched, for some reason.
The only bonus was some extra gun.

I pre-ordered at full price (49.99) with a few hours left to go before release because I had no doubt it would be better than the 2010 game and even though that game was not perfect I sure as hell got my money's worth out of it. Turns out I was wrong and Gearbox's game makes Rebellion's game look like a fucking masterpiece.

Just alot of us had been waiting for a long time and everything out made it looks amazing. The trailer with the NIN song about made me cream. Didn't care about the preorder in the slightest.

I'm just done pre-ordering sight unseen. Recently, I have been good about waiting and reading some reviews first, and ti has paid off. Between Aliens and Ace of Spades, I've saved some real cash.
I did buy into the Mechwarrior Tactics Founder's program, but I was already in the Beta since the get go, so I knew what I was getting into.

I waited. I wish you guys had too.:(

I'm with you guys raging about the game. There is no excuse for this pos. I really wanted a good(not perfect) Aliens game. They promised us that. Then they pulled up their skirts and shit on their community for $50 a person.

"Hey You"

"Hey Yourself"

"Good talk"

PSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH

Last edited:
I almost think I want to just shelve this thing until (if?) Gearbox fixes it. I'd like to try some more MP and maybe co-op, but...I dunno.

I almost think I want to just shelve this thing until (if?) Gearbox fixes it. I'd like to try some more MP and maybe co-op, but...I dunno.

I just got out of the sewers. I don't know that there's much to fix. I did notice that the AI isn't actually completely broken they just got lazy. There's parts that are just unfinished. For instance in a lot of the soldier battles in mission 2 your guys run around like retards but in the command center scene where you put up the sentry gun the AI is perfectly fine. I suspect there's parts where they just didn't set proper parameters for the AI, but I'm not a designer.

The textures are very hit and miss like some stuff looks fine so you'll see a room with a ton of detail but then the walls or floor will look low res. I spose they could go back and clean some of that up and add more graphical effects but this is DX9 only so Idk.

As for the plot and Dialog? meh I think they'd rather take the hit in popularity and call the rest of it a loss. It would be a dream come true if Gearbox overhauled that stuff and put it back out. I think it could be universally agreed that we'd happily overlook the graphical stuff if they'd clean up the gameplay and story.(Just now reading the reddit story now) I don't think I'm alone in saying if they don't do something to make this right I'll never buy another Gearbox title again. That's not a boycott I just don't trust them.

Last edited:
i-jvhKqJq-950x10000.jpg

I just got out of the sewers. I don't know that there's much to fix. I did notice that the AI isn't actually completely broken they just got lazy. There's parts that are just unfinished. For instance in a lot of the soldier battles in mission 2 your guys run around like retards but in the command center scene where you put up the sentry gun the AI is perfectly fine. I suspect there's parts where they just didn't set proper parameters for the AI, but I'm not a designer.

The textures are very hit and miss like some stuff looks fine so you'll see a room with a ton of detail but then the walls or floor will look low res. I spose they could go back and clean some of that up and add more graphical effects but this is DX9 only so Idk.

As for the plot and Dialog? meh I think they'd rather take the hit in popularity and call the rest of it a loss. It would be a dream come true if Gearbox overhauled that stuff and put it back out. I think it could be universally agreed that we'd happily overlook the graphical stuff if they'd clean up the gameplay and story.(Just now reading the reddit story now) I don't think I'm alone in saying if they don't do something to make this right I'll never buy another Gearbox title again. That's not a boycott I just don't trust them.

Yeah, the graphics aren't a deal-breaker but like you said, it's odd how inconsistent the quality is. Apparently on the X360 the textures are utter shit, and not just because it's a console.

AI is another inconsistent thing. I haven't played nearly as much as you have, but I've already noticed a lot of derpy behavior from NPCs and Xenos. It doesn't bode well for the rest of the game, but we'll see.

Plot and dialogue, frankly I don't care about too terribly much. I doubt there is much they could do to fix that now anyway.

One thing I have a fairly big problem with is the Xeno animations. Whenever they change to a wall or ceiling the animation is clunky as hell and it just looks bizarre. Even worse when you have to play as Xeno in MP and have that third-person view that shows all the awful animations.

I'm with you about never buying another Gearbox title (let alone pre-ordering one) if they don't make this right. All the info coming out about this makes Randy Pitchford sound like a fucking straight-faced liar.

Back