Alien: Isolation... Is a GOOD Alien game possible? (leaked screens)

The flamethrower also makes things way too easy since you can drive the Alien off with it after a 2 or 3 second flame burst. But it makes me wonder how awesome a USCM FPS would be with this engine.

I am a little disappointed in the length of the DLC content but I can understand why. I am just curious how accurate the layout of the Nostromo actually is. I guess someone actually did have a complete blueprint of the ship when they made the film way back when that the developers could use.
PCG had a pretty neat article comparing them:
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-authentic-is-alien-isolation/

The flamethrower also makes things way too easy since you can drive the Alien off with it after a 2 or 3 second flame burst. But it makes me wonder how awesome a USCM FPS would be with this engine.

It gets more resistant as you go farther along if you use the flamethrower a lot. I had to go from quick 1-2 second bursts in the beginning when I got it, to longer bursts later on, otherwise it would just sit their and kinda shield itself. If I didn't do it long enough, it would still come at me. Terrifying when it comes in the vents and you have to spray it until it leaves lol.

I played on Medium/Normal, and had plenty of flamer fuel...but in the higher difficulties there's less flamethrower fuel so you don't get to depend on it as much.

I have to say, this game has a garbage save system. What is wrong with developers and implementing a proper save system these days? 40-50 minutes between saves is a bit too much, especially since the gameplay is more or less holding the space bar and waiting. Too repetitive. Especially when the AI cheats (although occasionally gets stuck to). I don't see how this got good reviews. Shit save system, shit graphics, shit AA, and fucking garbage controls. Have these dumbasses every used a PC before? I doubt they have; the control layout is a complete cluster fuck that can't be fixed with simple rebinding. A whole lot of shit with not very much substance.

This game is fucking bullshit shovelware. Its not worth your time even for free. Fuck the assholes who "worked" on this fucking shit game.

User hold's space bar down. Dies to AI.. Claim's AI cheats.. The lawls.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
On the harder levels, if you have to resort to the flamethrower, you're pretty screwed, you just don't know it yet. While flaming the xeno once might work, it'll get super-hostile and even more crafty. It also learns not to dive into a full flame bloom, but instead will wait just outside the bloom until it dissipates, then will do a rapid charge right at you (dead Amanda).

The flamethrower is a defensive tool of absolutely last resort, especially on Nightmare mode where the fuel itself is EXTREMELY scarce.

User hold's space bar down. Dies to AI.. Claim's AI cheats.. The lawls.
Kinda what I was thinking...lol. The motion tracker makes noise and attracts nearby enemies (including the Xeno). Left it up too long mistakenly while hiding in a locker once...and it didn't even stop to sniff the locker vents - it just ripped the door open and killed me.

On the harder levels, if you have to resort to the flamethrower, you're pretty screwed, you just don't know it yet. While flaming the xeno once might work, it'll get super-hostile and even more crafty. It also learns not to dive into a full flame bloom, but instead will wait just outside the bloom until it dissipates, then will do a rapid charge right at you (dead Amanda).

The flamethrower is a defensive tool of absolutely last resort, especially on Nightmare mode where the fuel itself is EXTREMELY scarce.

Ah, that's probably what it was doing then (staying just outside of range). Makes sense why if I did multiple bursts instead of 1 long one it would actually run away (or knock me down then run away).

Crew Expandable... five minutes in... that damn alien follows me into the ventilation system... I can't see shit... I hear a hiss behind me, I don't want to look... I jumped when my phone started to ring. I had to take my headphones off and take a break.

If you think CE is pulse-pounding, Last Survivor is a heart attack on a gamepad (or KB&M). At least with CE you have the surviving Nostromo crew to back you up. LS is just you and the xeno, mano y mano, in the most cramped environment imaginable.

If you're in the vents with the alien, you're screwed. The thing is greased lightning in those shafts.

Regarding A:I, I almost feel like what Roger Ebert debated after seeing Aliens - namely, that he was unsure that anything that stressful could be classified as "entertainment".* The game is so damn butt clenching. And since you can't kill the creature, you never have a triumphant release - it's just one near miss after another. It really is the very definition of "survival horror".

*(Of course, nowadays, Aliens would probably get a PG rating.)

Last Survivor is just a remake of the end of Alien, but it's infinitely more distressing because it makes you live it. The damn noise, smoke, and steam makes it impossible to hear or see as you're being hunted.

It really is the very definition of "survival horror".

Honestly I wouldn't call A:I "survival horror" - more "survival terror" because I wasn't ever really scared (like a horror game should make you) - just very stressed and tense (in a good way of course).

Survival terror...hmmm....that's got a...deadly ring to it. :)

Hearing lots of complaints about the saving system in this game. I personally really enjoy it as it adds to the suspense. Sneaking around spamming the quick save key would ruin the immersion for me. The developers obviously realized this as well, so its nice to not have a game spoon feed you with checkpoints.

Survival terror...hmmm....that's got a...deadly ring to it. :)

Hearing lots of complaints about the saving system in this game. I personally really enjoy it as it adds to the suspense. Sneaking around spamming the quick save key would ruin the immersion for me. The developers obviously realized this as well, so its nice to not have a game spoon feed you with checkpoints.

The term suites the game though, no? :p

I liked the way the save system worked as well. Agreed having quick saves or the standard "save anywhere" style nowadays would have ruined the tension. Yeah it can be a pain if you have to redo a section...but I never once thought they were spread too far apart. Everytime I heard the faint beeping of the save station I felt like I was in paradise...but knew I couldn't relax because I could still be brutally murdered by the Xeno while attempting to save.

Survival terror...hmmm. Decent. Depends on your definitions. If you're talking about a game where you have to convict Norman Bates or sanction Col. Kurtz, that could be considered terror. If it revolves around making underhanded deals with Pinhead or exorcising Pazuzu, that could be termed horror. Alien kinda straddles both, as the xeno's capabilities, biology, and physiology frequently defy natural explanations and veers into the supernatural.

I agree about the save system in A:I being just about perfect. The game is arguably an on-rails experience, so a staggered save mechanism enhances the stress and anxiety. An open-world setting, though, like Stalker or Skyrim, needs an F5-like insta-save option. I always hated the checkpoint-save method in Halo.

Regarding A:I, CA really knocked it out the park and into the next county. Weren't they responsible for the bug-ridden Ryse? Did they learn their lesson?

Survival terror...hmmm. Decent. Depends on your definitions. If you're talking about a game where you have to convict Norman Bates or sanction Col. Kurtz, that could be considered terror. If it revolves around making underhanded deals with Pinhead or exorcising Pazuzu, that could be termed horror. Alien kinda straddles both, as the xeno's capabilities, biology, and physiology frequently defy natural explanations and veers into the supernatural.

I agree about the save system in A:I being just about perfect. The game is arguably an on-rails experience, so a staggered save mechanism enhances the stress and anxiety. An open-world setting, though, like Stalker or Skyrim, needs an F5-like insta-save option. I always hated the checkpoint-save method in Halo.

Regarding A:I, CA really knocked it out the park and into the next county. Weren't they responsible for the bug-ridden Ryse? Did they learn their lesson?

I can see where you're coming from where it seems like it straddles both. I usually considered "horror" games or movies as ones that would be "scary" - either with jump scares or the use of gore in general. But I'd consider "terror" that could be something that can cause a varied range of emotions: from fear, to stress, helplessness, etc. I think A:I captures that aspect perfectly. There's relatively little to no gore in the game, and it's more of an emotional/atmospheric game. Maybe even "survival thriller" could describe the game accurately.

I'm surprised this has not been in the PC bargain bin yet. Most games around this time can be picked up for next to nothing. The cheapest I have seen was G2A for 10.00 right at Xmas, and has shot right back up.

I'm surprised this has not been in the PC bargain bin yet. Most games around this time can be picked up for next to nothing. The cheapest I have seen was G2A for 10.00 right at Xmas, and has shot right back up.

All the GOTY awards it's been receiving for different categories are probably keeping the price higher up. IMO it's worth the money though. They did an outstanding job.

I think we need a mod where we should be able to play as the alien and we get stuck on a spaceship where we torment and kill all of the developers from UBISOFT and EA .

anybody ? ....sound good ?... no ? ...yes ?

Last Survivor is just a remake of the end of Alien, but it's infinitely more distressing because it makes you live it. The damn noise, smoke, and steam makes it impossible to hear or see as you're being hunted.

I was hiding in one of the vents and I heard him moving around. I assumed he was walking on the floor above my hiding spot, but it turned out that he was inside the vent with me. I nearly fell out my chair when I saw him!!!!!!!!

I think we need a mod where we should be able to play as the alien and we get stuck on a spaceship where we torment and kill all of the developers from UBISOFT and EA .

anybody ? ....sound good ?... no ? ...yes ?
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Several dollars, actually. Well, maybe not the devs, but definitely the execs.

Seriously speaking, can you imagine playing the xeno in A:I? How much carnage and utter terror you could inflict on the remaining inhabitants of Sevastopol? It would probably be a cakewalk, but a fun cakewalk. You could also fuse it with Isolation's storyline by catching quick glimpses of Amanda, Nina, Samuels, Waits, the WJs, and other members of the cast. Perhaps have a few levels where you're actively hunting Amanda, like in the nightmarish San Cristobal area.

Just a thought.

Finally decided to play the Crew Expendable DLC the other night.

Possible incoming spoilers? Idk..it's based off of the movie so shouldn't be...

Anyway... The part where you have to go in the vents and being told which direction to go...that was pretty damn awesome. First time I was actually kinda scared during the game, because the Xeno managed to get me a couple times while I was either at a junction or had my back turned and couldn't whip around and burst fire fast enough. First time it happened, my wife was sitting next to me and I jumped when I died and gasped a bit, and that scared her and made her jump (I think she might have been watching my screen lol).

carnageX, you'd be amazed at the number of people who would complain about spoiling the end of Titanic (or A Night to Remember).

CE is scary beyond belief. Those damn vents. However, have you tried Last Survivor? The openeing scene where you're in the Narcissus while Parker is complaining through the speaker sets up the end of Alien perfectly. And when you cross that threshold and trigger the attack on Parker and Lambert, it turns your blood to below-zero ice. Descending to the lower deck to investigate what happened and then hearing the footsteps of the approaching xeno is a visceral experience unlike anything I've encountered in a videogame. Not even the most terrifying parts of Stalker or Silent Hill came close (and I've jumped completely out of my chair at both).

I still haven't beat LS on nightmare mode. The creature is simply too crafty and seems to possess a sixth (and maybe seventh) sense.

Anyway, it was a huge plus to assemble the original actors for the DLC (minus Hurt and Holm), I just wish they had had a bigger part in the main campaign. In context, though, all Amanda can really collect are historical recordings.

This game demands a sequel, preferably helmed again by Creative Assembly. It would be a day-one purchase for me. Might even break my rule about not preordering.

I started LS but only got part way through it before I decided to go to bed for the night lol. Just after where you have to lure it into the airlock I believe. I've only been playing on Medium haha.

Definitely agree with there being a sequel - as long as they put as much thought/care into it as they did with Isolation. They kinda left the door open for there to be one, considering what the end to the main story was like.

Has anyone had issues with the game crashing when climbing ladders?

I read some where that if you lower the detail level it will prevent it, which sometimes it does work. I'm just sick of getting to a ladder and it crashing then redoing things from my last save and hoping it doesnt crash when I use the ladder.

This is the reason I stopped playing a few months ago, but really want to finish this game and enjoy as I've heard it is really good. I've re installed windows and the game a few times since originally playing when the game was released.

Thread_Necromancy_3038.jpg

I also got it for free with Prime last month. There is a free mod for VR and apparently it is fantastic. Will report to this resurrected when I try it out.

Alien: Isolation- Coming to iOS and Android December 16th

If either of my newish Android phones can handle it at a decent framerate (how do system requirements even work on mobile? 🤔) this may be the game that gets me to finally try smartphone handheld gaming.

Available DRM-free now on GOG, with a 75% discount.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/alien_isolation_collection

Hmm this reminds me: I never played past the first DLC on this. Gonna get all the extras and try to get the VR mod up and running -- anyone know if that still works? I remember on the original Rift DK2 it was pretty flawless and pants-sh**tingly effective. I haven't had enough nightmares lately, I guess.

Back