Alien: Isolation... Is a GOOD Alien game possible? (leaked screens)

Amnesia the Dark Descent should have been titled "Run away like a little bitch and cower in fear of something you can't see." Sorry, but that sort of thing isn't entertaining to me.

Which is worse than "mindlessly move the cursor over object X while clicking mouse to pretend to shoot it with Michael Bay style explosions!!!!!" how? The PC FPS genre is riddled with mindless stuff like that where your time would be better spent watching a blue ray movie for the amount of skill the game requires, has better graphics as well.

Again though, there are two possible games from Aliens. Said above mindless shooter, or a real horror game.

EDIT- also try some horror games on the rift. The rift doesn't help mindless action (thats best even more mindless and it's easier to do so with a monitor) but for stuff like Outlast it can freak you out good.

Last edited:
Which is worse than "mindlessly move the cursor over object X while clicking mouse to pretend to shoot it with Michael Bay style explosions!!!!!" how? The PC FPS genre is riddled with mindless stuff like that where your time would be better spent watching a blue ray movie for the amount of skill the game requires, has better graphics as well.

Again though, there are two possible games from Aliens. Said above mindless shooter, or a real horror game.

EDIT- also try some horror games on the rift. The rift doesn't help mindless action (thats best even more mindless and it's easier to do so with a monitor) but for stuff like Outlast it can freak you out good.

Or, it could be a good combination of both. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay was a great mix of action and stealth.

Amnesia the Dark Descent should have been titled "Run away like a little bitch and cower in fear of something you can't see." Sorry, but that sort of thing isn't entertaining to me.

Yea, but this ain't about you stating your opinions like facts. :D

Pretty much all adventure games have little to no combat, and people seem to like them.

Obnoxious DoF is obnoxious.

+1 it makes things look small in scale, like you are looking into a doll house. the shading in those screens also look like something from early 2000

Dude, Amnesia and Outlast are two recent games where you don't really fight anything at all. Amensia in particular is amazingly good and vastly superior to much of the generic AAA FPS crap of late. The survival horror genre is full of games where combat was either kept minimal, or your ability to actually kill the baddies was utterly crippled.

This is something that has a track record of working pretty well.

Really? Last I checked mindless shooters like Call of Duty sold billions. What did Amnesia sell again?

Amneisa-type gameplay will only attract a niche group, which may or may not be better, but I wouldn't go around saying it's a real winner especially for a company.

Just wanted to mention I'm not advocating making it like CoD.

Really? Last I checked mindless shooters like Call of Duty sold billions. What did Amnesia sell again?

Amneisa-type gameplay will only attract a niche group, which may or may not be better, but I wouldn't go around saying it's a real winner especially for a company.

I think it's safe to say Alien fans don't really want a CoD style game. GTA5 sold more copies than any CoD game to date, why not make it GTA5 style? Diablo 3 sold more copies than CoD, why not make it like Diablo 3?

Amnesia was a winner because it made the devs money.

I think it's safe to say Alien fans don't really want a CoD style game. GTA5 sold more copies than any CoD game to date, why not make it GTA5 style? Diablo 3 sold more copies than CoD, why not make it like Diablo 3?

Amnesia was a winner because it made the devs money.

I never said make it like CoD. (I actually just edited my post because I knew someone would come in with something like your post)

Amnesia is very niche and wouldn't make sense for Aliens, except maybe a small part of it. I could see it working, but you would have to add some form of combat or everyone would lose interest real fast. Amnesia elements in the game would be nice though.

I never said make it like CoD. (I actually just edited my post because I knew someone would come in with something like your post)

Amnesia is very niche and wouldn't make sense for Aliens, except maybe a small part of it. I could see it working, but you would have to add some form of combat or everyone would lose interest real fast. Amnesia elements in the game would be nice though.

I think the problem is that this isn't "Aliens", it's "Alien". I don't have anything against the inclusion of combat. That's fine. They compared it to Bioshock and Dishonored in the article, which would be cool if it wasn't too over the top. I just don't think this is going to be your typical Space Marine type game.

Just wanted to mention I'm not advocating making it like CoD.

Justin Bieber sells millions, what's your point ;)

I've stated there are really two things going on with the Alien IP, I stand by that. Alien is a horror setting with depth, detail, terror, thinking, exploring. Aliens is just mindless blasting shit, no thinking, no depth, no horror, pop-corn munching good times. The third IP that always gets sucked in is Predator, which is at core a stealth IP, there was never anything action packed, scary, or horror about it. We can go with the remote fourth AVP extended universe, which is not about shooting at all and more of an over the top head bashing in, brawling, face punching sort of deal.

There's more than enough here, just split it up. Make Alien into a survival horror game with exploration. Put Alien skins onto COD characters, give it Justin Beiber for sound track, make sure it's DX11 and melts systems, and farm it out to the dude-bro Halo crowd. Make Predator into splinter cell/metal gear type game. Make another AVP 90's style brawler.

There enough to go around. But mashing it all together and selling it off love of the IP and graphics just keeps screwing with them.

Yea, but this ain't about you stating your opinions like facts. :D

Pretty much all adventure games have little to no combat, and people seem to like them.

I didn't say it was a fact, I simply stated that I didn't like stuff like that. People have also come to expect action from Alien themed games and a careful balance has to be struck if they want to back away from the combat in anyway. AVP2 was great and only a few parts of it didn't have a lot going on. They handled the suspense just fine.

Perhaps. But, there is definitely a difference between Alien and Aliens and AvP.

Alien was not an action film IMO, it was more about exploration, mystery and suspence/thriller... very little action... actually I fall asleep during this movie lol, but I do like it and could see a good adventure game out of it

I figure another good Alien game is long overdue. I'm cautiously optimistic, lets hope they can avoid the usual developer pitfalls. Keep it simple, focus on atmosphere and gameplay. I like the idea of playing someone other than a "badass space marine". In past games, as soon as you got the Smart Gun all tension evaporated.

Alien was not an action film IMO, it was more about exploration, mystery and suspence/thriller...

Not just your opinion. Alien was never meant to be an action movie. Its a Sci-Fi Thriller. And IMO the best Sci-Fi movie all all time. Alien(s) on the other hand.....

So you run around like a little bitch for 10 hours from one Alien. Totally see that as pure entertainment. lol

Will pay $2 dolla for this hooker.

So you run around like a little bitch for 10 hours from one Alien. Totally see that as pure entertainment. lol

Will pay $2 dolla for this hooker.

It's called suspense.

Which is what many of the best survival horror games relied on in the past.

Silent hill
Alone in the dark
Resident Evil
Sanitarium

Just because there's one Xenomorph doesn't make it worse or less than, in fact imo it makes it better because to me that means they are taking the time an dmaking it a point of the game to actually make it scary and a threat, unlike virtually every other "Alien" game out there where they were moreso just set pieces for you to blow up with your guns.

That's also what made Ripley so great in both Alien and Aliens, yes she's killed Xenomorphs, but most of the time she was RUNNING from them and trying to hide/get away, even ini the second movie which was more of an action movie then a straight up thriller like Alien was.

Its just not my cup of tea I guess. Silent Hill actually had a story and so did Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil (never played Sanitarium).

This one has absolutely nothing to go for it except daughter went out after her mother and got killed in the process. I will reserve my judgement until the game is out but thus far, looks like absolute crap not worth more than 2 hours of my time.

Its just not my cup of tea I guess. Silent Hill actually had a story and so did Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil (never played Sanitarium).

This one has absolutely nothing to go for it except daughter went out after her mother and got killed in the process. I will reserve my judgement until the game is out but thus far, looks like absolute crap not worth more than 2 hours of my time.

What do you mean got killed in the process?

From Aliens we know that Ripley's daughter lives into her golden years and passes away as an old woman.

From Aliens we know that Ripley's daughter lives into her golden years and passes away as an old woman.

This , and the fact that we know next to nothing about Amanda lets the writers make a storyline for us. Whether it be good or bad is yet to be determined. I for one am looking forward to it.

I meant that she will keep getting killed in the process until she makes it which we already know she will. So not really anything exciting. The gameplay would be something like Outlast without the pixelated dicks in the face to make it interesting :p.

I just can't stand doing this for more than 2 hours.

Kind of have to agree. We've only seen one element of gameplay, the sneaking around, hiding portion. There has to be something else as well or it'll get old quick.

why do these games feel the need to delve into the canon mythology for?...do we really need the main character to be Ripley's daughter?...why not use the 'Alien' assets and world to create a game with a new mythology...the hard part is already done...just create a fun game hunting down Aliens with a sprinkle of LV-426 mythology...they're trying too hard to connect the events of the movies with these games which seems to get in the way of telling a good story...if I want to see a new Alien movie I'll wait for the Ridley Scott Prometheus sequel

Kind of have to agree. We've only seen one element of gameplay, the sneaking around, hiding portion. There has to be something else as well or it'll get old quick.

They have already mentioned that they are going to have a crafting mechanic where you can salvage items from within the environment to make things, from traps, to weapons, etc.

Most likely traps and things to trick the xenomorph (IE a sound trap that gets it's attention so you can run away) or other things, and weapons I doubt to actually kill it but rather wound it and make it run away or something.

Game looks really really good. Although I'm wondering what else you will be doing? There is only one Alien in the game and you can't kill it. There are no weapons. I think I read somewhere it was a 10-12 hour campaign?

There are no weapons in the game at all. I just don't want it to get repetitive. The atmosphere looks absolutely amazing though. The level of detail is incredible lets just hope it lives up to the hype and isn't like the last Alien game.

I would've been really excited if it was Frictional Games doing a horror game based on the Alien universe. (SOMA might not be too far off from this idea, though).

And yeah, totally agree with how things feel contrived when developers try to include a main character that's linked to the movies somehow. I'd much prefer to see an original story and not one that's tied down or forced to mesh with events from another story.

I am not seeing any level of detail. The graphics look so 2011 or earlier apart from some god rays/lighting.

So much negativity on this topic. Lets save all of our angst until the product ships.

Look at the plus side. At least its not being created by Rand Pichford :p

So much negativity on this topic. Lets save all of our angst until the product ships.

Look at the plus side. At least its not being created by Rand Pichford :p

Blasphemy! This [H] and rampant speculation about a game sucking ass based on little to no information is the rule and not the exception! Get thee hence with all your, "Let's wait till we have a product in our hands rubbish!". :p :D

Seriously though I am intrigued by this game and can't wait to see the final product.

You'll probably we waiting around a very long time for another turd then :p

Hey now, the imagery and the cast were great, it just needed a script and some heavy editing. I have high hopes for the 2nd film. And you can't tell me the C-section scene wasn't awesome.

Hey now, the imagery and the cast were great, it just needed a script and some heavy editing. I have high hopes for the 2nd film. And you can't tell me the C-section scene wasn't awesome.

I'll give you that one, the C-Section scene was hilarious.

I had such high hopes for the movie too, with Fassbender and Idris

Prometheus wasn't a terrible movie and I am looking forward to the second one.

However it really pissed me off how Ridley just white washed the entire "space jockey" mythos and design.

He had a chance to, like with Alien, make the "Aliens" non-human (most "alien movies" end up making the aliens look humanoid). We already had saw the "space jockey" (IE Engineers) in Alien and when we see them in this movie it's obvious it's NOT just a "big human" but an actual alien with varying physical differences between it and humans. The whole "elephant" like trunk, it's huge size, etc. In Alien this wasn't a "Suit" that something was wearing, it was obvious with was the skeleton that has fossilized.

However in Prometheus he just went back through all that and made the engineers generic looking oversized humans and made the whole "space jockey" that we knew out to be a type of space suit (which doesn't fit with what was shown int he first Alien film).

Then instead of actually making the ENgineer intelligent and having it be an intersting encounter or something different he just makes it a generic "monster" that doesn't even speak or have any sense of intelligence about what he does.

Also it didn't help he had the guy from Lost writing it, and we saw how lost turned out.

However with how it ended I do have hope it might be salvagable.

made the whole "space jockey" that we knew out to be a type of space suit (which doesn't fit with what was shown int he first Alien film)

fits perfectly with the first Alien movie...everyone just assumed the 'suit' was the alien...I thought it was a nice re-direct...obviously Ridley Scott did not have that planned from the first Alien movie but given all the time that has lapsed I thought it was a nice redirect...Ridley Scott always wanted a chance to continue the Alien franchise his way...he was forced out by 20th Century Fox and the Alien franchise evolved without his approval...Prometheus is a way to restructure the franchise the way he wants

looking forward to Prometheus 2 when they travel to 'Paradise'

fits perfectly with the first Alien movie...everyone just assumed the 'suit' was the alien...I thought it was a nice re-direct...obviously Ridley Scott did not have that planned from the first Alien movie but given all the time that has lapsed I thought it was a nice redirect...Ridley Scott always wanted a chance to continue the Alien franchise his way...he was forced out by 20th Century Fox and the Alien franchise evolved without his approval...Prometheus is a way to restructure the franchise the way he wants

looking forward to Prometheus 2 when they travel to 'Paradise'

The space jockey wasn't a suit, no matter what "spin" you want to say in the Alien movie it was clear as day fossilized bone and there wasn't an "engineer" inside the space jockey either.

Most likely Ridley or the writer (or studio) didn't want them to look too "alien" or the effects budget wouldn't let them make it that way.

The space jockey wasn't a suit, no matter what "spin" you want to say in the Alien movie it was clear as day fossilized bone and there wasn't an "engineer" inside the space jockey either.

Most likely Ridley or the writer (or studio) didn't want them to look too "alien" or the effects budget wouldn't let them make it that way.

Yes, that is correct.

of course the original intention was for it to be an alien...my point was that it wasn't 100% confirmed since the space jockey was a very small part of the original Alien movie...Ridley Scott always wondered why more people didn't seem interested in the space jockey hence his reason to use that as a takeoff point for Prometheus...curtailing people's expectations on who/what the space jockey actually was is something Prometheus did fairly well

Back