Alien: Covenant's “Walter” Synthetic Is Powered by AMD

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It turns out that not only is AMD alive and well 90 years from now (assuming my Alien timeline calculations are correct), the company is also the primary CPU supplier for Weyland-Wutani Corp.’s synthetics. Michael Fassbender plays an updated model of his Android character from Prometheus, now part of the “Walter” line and powered by Ryzen and Radeon. Maybe he’ll get killed by an alien when his software accidentally reverts to a lower resolution and his performance suffers.

Introducing Walter, the latest synthetic by Weyland-Yutani. Created to serve. Intelligence powered by AMD, Ryzen and Radeon. Discover yours at: http://www.meetwalter.com Walter is the world’s most advanced synthetic companion, designed to help you achieve a better human experience. Each model is individually calibrated to serve its owner’s unique set of needs and preferences.

Another round of viral marketing for this property, cool....but pained by that addition of the unnecessary AMD advertising...that's lame, truly truly lame.

It's kinda cool how all the pieces are coming together explaining how Prometheus and Covenant lead into the original Alien movie. These robots were likely suffering from early BIOS issues that caused them to become more homicidal in their work objectives.

Fortunately by the time Bishop was introduced in Aliens, functional BIOS updates were rolling out.

Very cool - even if it is advertising in a nutshell.

My thought: was that in 15-20-30 years, this sort of thing will be possible/normal.

If we can dream it, we can do it.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Good on AMD for spending their small marketing budget wisely for once. This will get more play with their potential audience then a bunch of online banner ads that would likely be adblocked by the types of customers they are targeting right now, who are also not likely watching TV or reading print media.

AMD may not have had a 100% smooth zen roll out... but they could stand to be doing more of this type of brand selling.

[H]ard|Forum - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

The page might be private?

So I'm guessing this time around Michael Fassbender's synthetic is going to be a nice one. Not sure being the company that powers the murderous robot in a movie is exactly good marketing.

Another round of viral marketing for this property, cool....but pained by that addition of the unnecessary AMD advertising...that's lame, truly truly lame.

On a scale of 10/10, how triggered were you? And can I provide you with my safety blanket I just purchased on Amazon?

Reactions: Zuul
like this
ah i get it now. when i originally made the thread it was in genmay then admins moved it to hobbies, behind the paywall...

edit: that was why i finally ponied up for a membership, they kept moving my posts behind the paywall so i couldnt even reply to threads i started.

Dang mods! How the heck are you supposed to hack and hew and slash at someone if they are hiding behind a wall.

I didn't realize they were remaking Alien.

I can't wait for Hollywood to get its act together and stop remaking shit, and instead focus on novel new content.

It's no wonder they are hemorrhaging writers to the TV industry, and TV has been undergoing a boom for years, with interesting new and creative TV series.

amd-white-flag.jpg

It doesn't feel like an Alien video...
I fee like I saw this video exactly 20 years ago.
It reminds me of this freaky Björk video from 1997.

So it's an advertisement, presented as a different advertisement with a different advertisement inside!
This movie has so many layers!

11, and yes to the blanket.
Why don't you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top... number and make that a little louder?

I didn't realize they were remaking Alien.

I can't wait for Hollywood to get its act together and stop remaking shit, and instead focus on novel new content.

It's no wonder they are hemorrhaging writers to the TV industry, and TV has been undergoing a boom for years, with interesting new and creative TV series.

? I haven't heard anything about a remake. This is the first of 3 prequels to the original Alien.

? I haven't heard anything about a remake. This is the first of 3 prequels to the original Alien.

Ah, my bad. I saw alien and Android and I remembered that scene with the knife, and I totally thought remake.

I need to lay off that crackpipe...

Alien Covenant will be number 2. Prometheus having been the first of the trilogy. As I understand it this one will have a colony ship crew stranded on the same planet where the Prometheus crew ends up after the events of that movie.

Perhaps because AMD has just released their new processor and it's common sense to promote it? I get that some fanboys are butthurt because there is more competition now but seriously, wtf.

Aliens movie bishop said the older models were allways a little glitchy. I guess this explains why.

Alien Covenant will be number 2. Prometheus having been the first of the trilogy. As I understand it this one will have a colony ship crew stranded on the same planet where the Prometheus crew ends up after the events of that movie.
yes, correct except Prometheus "crew" is only david and shaw. AND!!
scott says hes got at least 6 more movies in him, says he's not gonna let the franchise die again :)

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Even after watching Prometheus and seeing the Alien being born i still didnt think they were connected. most i got out of it was "hey that looks like a Alien character, Hope they dont get sued!" lol But then i stopped watching all of the parts of Alien. I think i watched the first two at most. and never even thought about writers or producers. never watched a alien vs predator either.

Back