Alibaba and Microsoft AI Smarter than Stanford Grads

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I know all you guys out there at UC Berkeley are nodding your heads saying, "How could AI NOT be smarter than a Stanford grad?" but I digress. The basis of the headline statement lies in a Stanford University Reading and Comprehension testing database. AI technologies from both Alibaba and Microsoft squared off against a 100,000 question dataset. Alibaba scored 82.44 and Microsoft scored a 82.65 a day later, no doubt resting on the AI research done in the previous years with Clippy. "Rival humans" achieved a 82.304. This all sounds well till you realize the datasets are based on 500 Wikipedia articles, so now at least we know that the AI technologies actually got no smarter at all.

So-called natural language processing mimics human comprehension of words and sentences. Based on more than 500 Wikipedia articles, Stanford’s set of questions are designed to tease out whether machine-learning models can process large amounts of information before supplying precise answers to queries.

College graduate looking for a job: "Sorry, we don't really care about your grades in college... we'll start you off at $10 an hour."

AI starting to equal college grads in reading comprehension: "Awesome, we can finally stop hiring people all together. Your AI system is only $20 million a year. Great, were do we sign..."

Ok now let me sign in and change the data on those 500 wikis and make the AI answer incorrect.....

I've been saying it for awhile now. Sooner or later we will have no choice except for universal income. Eventually robots and technology will take most jobs and most will not be replaced.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
My back of the envelope math shows the difference between the high and low scores is .346%. Question to all three test subjects: What is the margin of error for this test?

Considering the state of higher education this isn't surprising.

Too many people equate a college degree to intelligence.
While someone with a room temperature IQ will probably not get a college degree, many average or even below average IQ's will still muddle through and get one.
I've worked with too many people over the years with degrees for good colleges, who where completely clueless.

Now days, getting a college degree is more about regurgitating the professors PC garbage than about actually learning anything useful.
The exception are the STEM degree programs, as many of them have yet to be completely corrupted.

Let me know when one of these AI's can fix the leak under my kitchen sink, or mow my lawn. Then they might finally be useful.

Considering the state of higher education this isn't surprising.

Too many people equate a college degree to intelligence.
While someone with a room temperature IQ will probably not get a college degree, many average or even below average IQ's will still muddle through and get one.
I've worked with too many people over the years with degrees for good colleges, who where completely clueless.

Now days, getting a college degree is more about regurgitating the professors PC garbage than about actually learning anything useful.
The exception are the STEM degree programs, as many of them have yet to be completely corrupted.

Let me know when one of these AI's can fix the leak under my kitchen sink, or mow my lawn. Then they might finally be useful.
I have a college degree and a high IQ, but I'm still clueless. I blame Einstein who said, "Never memorize anything you can look up." Now I spend all my time looking things up (except that quote which I memorized in youthful rebellion).

I've been saying it for awhile now. Sooner or later we will have no choice except for universal income. Eventually robots and technology will take most jobs and most will not be replaced.
Or we could let the human population fall to levels where each member is able to contribute. Let nature do its thing.

many tests forces the human to memorize entire textbooks.
perhaps it's time to do away with this dumb restriction

You know, 20 years ago, before the advent of internet ubiquity, people were not smarter or had higher iq's. Information was overall harder and took longer to acquire , but current availability does not mean you are smarter. It's how you apply it that truly makes the difference. Besides, if AI does become the alpha and omega of all, would this really be an issue going forward?

Both posts feel like they came from that 90%.
The reality is 90% of us will be in the 90% no matter what we like to imagine though I doubt I'll make it long enough to be in the 90% so I'm just an observer.

Stanford grads are the elite douchebags of academia. I could point out to you a Stanford grad, they are obnoxious assholes.

Back