Alibaba Allegedly Developed a Chinese Propaganda App

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Amid accusations that they're collaborating with the Chinese government, China-based tech companies are facing increased scrutiny abroad. Many of them deny any involvement in such activity, and Alibaba in particular previously slammed the U.S's treatment of Huawei as "extremely unfair." But a recent report from Reuters accuses Alibaba of developing a propaganda app for the Chinese government. The app was reportedly the most popular one on Apple's Chinese app store last week, and Alibaba has refused to comment on the report so far.

The app, which includes short videos, government news stories and quizzes, was created by an Alibaba team. A user of Alibaba’s own messaging app DingTalk can use their login credentials to log into Xuexi Qiangguo. Alibaba said the app was built using DingTalk’s software... At least part of the app's runaway popularity can be attributed to directives issued by local governments and universities that require people in China's expansive party member network to download the app. The app has been downloaded over 43.7 million times on Apple and Android devices since its launch in January, according to estimates by Beijing-based statistical consulting firm Qimai. It was not immediately clear whether Alibaba makes money from the app, or who initiated its development.

I am aware that the OP posted a news article that is political, however the rules about politics outside the soapbox still stand. If you can not post in this thread without violating the rules then do not post.

Didn't the government basically anex the entirety of their tech industry? If there was Independence before, it's definitely gone now. Gov is basically like a board of directors for every tech company not, right?

Well that didn't take long, did it?
I am aware that the OP posted a news article that is political, however the rules about politics outside the soapbox still stand. If you can not post in this thread without violating the rules then do not post.

So comments must be limited to pointing out typographical errors, or some off topic subject?

Any comment about an article regarding politics is inherently political, as every one preceding mine, except yours, has relevant, but political connotations.

So comments must be limited to pointing out typographical errors, or some off topic subject?

Any comment about an article regarding politics is inherently political, as every one preceding mine, except yours, has relevant, but political connotations.

I don't know why but something always made me nervous about Alibaba. I've seen sketchy things on Ebay and in recent years Amazon too. From day one if I was searching for something and Alibaba popped up and I clicked on the link something just didn't seem right. We'll see how this pans out. Thanks AlphaAtlas for posting this. Very interested in how it turns out.

Back