Algorithm That Removes Reflections In Photos Taken Through Windows

Samsung could use this, as I think they were the ones bragging about the great quality of their camera, showing a girl filming and showing the "sample" footage of what she was aiming at, but accidentally showing the reflection in glass at one point of a cameraman with a huge shoulder mounted camera.... LIES!

Samsung could use this, as I think they were the ones bragging about the great quality of their camera, showing a girl filming and showing the "sample" footage of what she was aiming at, but accidentally showing the reflection in glass at one point of a cameraman with a huge shoulder mounted camera.... LIES!

I just saw a couple of those clips over the weekend, but it was Nokia, and was from a couple years ago, although they may be more recent cases.

The video I saw showed two different ads for the same Nokia phone, one of a couple riding bikes, where you see the reflection of a van and cameraman and another where the guy is filming her on the motorized swing at a carnival but the shadow clearing shows a cameraman with a large camera on he shoulder.

I remember the Nokia commercial. They were trying to show off the benefits of their new image stabilization but used a DSLR with an image stabilized lens to do it.

That algorithm is kinda cool though. I typically try to shoot through and light glass at angles to minimize reflections and where I have no choice but to deal with it, the healing brush and content aware fill tools in Photoshop tends to take care of most of my issues.

Yeah, if you know what you are doing, and have control over your shooting environment, you can minimize reflections.

1.) Make sure the side you are shooting from is much darker than the side you are shooting
2.) Use a large-ish lens hood pressed up against said window
3.) Minimize reflections by making sure the window is well outside the depth of field that is in focus.

Otherwise something like this might help.

I would have liked to see more examples though.

I would say it reduces the reflection, it certainly doesn't eliminate it.

Back