Alder Lake launching November 4th

He used to post here years ago, but I think he had a falling out, I don't remember the details.

Does anyone remember what his username was?
JLangevin

He hung out in the FS/T forum for awhile before he left. He was quite active in the WCing forum before that.
Have no clue why he left.

Shout out to Phanteks for getting a LGA 1700 bracket to me in literally 1 business day (Glacier One). I contacted them Friday and the hardware arrived today. Since it's a generic Asetek pump, it should work on quite a few coolers that I'm undecided on.

I contacted Enermax 1 HR ago and they just shipped the LGA 1700 Kit for Enermax LIQMAX III 360 ARGB White.
I contacted MSI for LGA 1700 Kit MSI for MAG Core Liquid 360R and was told 1 week-2 weeks.

I was going to go buy a out of box MSI C280 but no need to even bother now,with that 1hr shipping from Enermax amazing.

I talked to NZXT and they are still awaiting on their shipment of brackets to arrive. They will start shipping them as soon as they do arrive, they just don't have any now to ship. I ordered the MSI C240 in the meantime so I can complete my Lian Li Q58 build. I was a little worried about clearance on my Gigabyte Z690 mITX board but it looks like the MSI should be good based on the block size.

With the latest Nvidia rumors pointing to double the power requirements, and these new CPUs being power hogs, what's next, 1200W-1500W PSUs being mandatory?
Electricity is not becoming cheaper.

I just placed a order for the Free Noctua upgrade kit which has Free shipping so I don't have to buy a Kit off Amazon for 12.00 which is sold out currently.= I couldn't get the form to work with Google Chrome so I tried Microsoft Edge and that worked. I even downsized the .jpgs for the invoices spent like 20 minutes with google Chrome. So I switched to Edge that worked right away. Picked up a 12700K off New Egg and picked up a Asus Tuf Z690 off Microcenter. I have no need for the I9 12900K. It would be nice to have the going price on ebay is like 700.00-800.00. After taxes and shipping the 12700K was 490.00 I could of bought the 12700KF but resale on those would be less if I ever upgrade to Raptor lake.

With the latest Nvidia rumors pointing to double the power requirements, and these new CPUs being power hogs, what's next, 1200W-1500W PSUs being mandatory?
Right on the nose. Power and heat cause the need for bigger cooling, power supplies and a bigger battery backup. What about California's power computer usage law thing? I wonder Intel can pass the test on that

Means under volt is going to get more attention

Damn I should of looked closer only x4 sata ports on the Asus Z690. Either have to buy bigger drives but I wonder if Sata3 will be phased out?

I might have to use two my two 6 TB HDDs plus those in use my 2TB QVO for recent games. Put Windows 11 on my 1TB SSD but I hate putting games on the primary drive. I have x4 1TB drives so I'm at a crux. M.2 drives are sketchy and expensive I have no idea if I install one my Sata Ports might not work.

Last edited:
Usually they are 3rd party might short out. I might have to use two my two 6 TB HDDs plus those in use my 2TB QVO for recent games. Put Windows 11 on my 1TB SSD but I hate putting games on the primary drive. I have x4 1TB drives so I'm at a crux. M.2 drives are sketchy and expensive I have no idea if I install one my Sata Ports might not work.
The slower NVME drives (still faster than SATA drives) cost the same per GB as a sata drive.

The motherboard manual will tell you if any SATA ports are disabled, when you utilize the NVME/M2 ports.

Otherwise....choose a different motherboard with more sata ports ;)

I'm reading the manual now on the Asus website the board has x4 M.2 slots which is good.
It doesn't say if they are disabled in the manual I assume they some would be.
I could run a Raid with all my Sata SSDs but I never done that.

I'm reading the manual now on the Asus website the board has x4 M.2 slots which is good.
It doesn't say if they are disabled in the manual I assume they some would be.
I could run a Raid with all my Sata SSDs but I never done that.
I looked at the manual and I didn't see any notes about ports disabling. That should mean that the chipset has enough lanes that the SATA ports will not be disabled when you use the NVME/M2 ports.

I looked at the manual and I didn't see any notes about ports disabling. That should mean that the chipset has enough lanes that the SATA ports will not be disabled when you use the NVME/M2 ports.
Ok I wasn't sure how many lanes there was with the board or how many I need usually it's like 16 lanes or something.

All the complaints in the past about not having a single screw for a M.2 drive this Asus board has latches on it instead of the usual screws.

Regarding 12gth gen and AVX-512

High profile overclocker der8auer reports that the ability to enable AVX512 currently must come from an BIOS setting. And the BIOS's with this ability may not be publically available. He also says he is hearing rumblings that Intel may force a "fix" to prevent enabling AVX512 in the future. He then says openly to Intel, that they should not do this, it will hurt their image in the community and industry.

Sadly, I use AVX512 in my work, so this was a disappointment to me. I guess I'll have to keep around my old PC for the time being when my new one arrives.

Regarding 12gth gen and AVX-512

High profile overclocker der8auer reports that the ability to enable AVX512 currently must come from an BIOS setting. And the BIOS's with this ability may not be publically available. He also says he is hearing rumblings that Intel may force a "fix" to prevent enabling AVX512 in the future. He then says openly to Intel, that they should not do this, it will hurt their image in the community and industry.

I hope MSI enables this on all their boards.
currently the board will not allow disabling all e cores; at least one ecore must be enabled.

it sounds like avx512 can safely be enabled, and since rocket lake had avx512, I don't see why intel would make such a bigass fuss about it

I hope MSI enables this on all their boards.
currently the board will not allow disabling all e cores; at least one ecore must be enabled.

it sounds like avx512 can safely be enabled, and since rocket lake had avx512, I don't see why intel would make such a bigass fuss about it
I thiiiiink my gigabyte board has the feature. If I'm not mistaken, the wording on the official product page means you can turn off the E-cores. However, Der8auer says the feature isn't currently in public bios. So I dunno. I'm still waiting for the LGA 1700 kit for my EK AIO. But I will report back my findings, next weekend ;)

256017440_5289731711043765_1045741258234401531_n.jpg

Waiting on my Motherboard today Z690 TUF from Microcenter also picked up my first M.2 drive 980 Samsung 1TB because the thing only has 4 Sata ports. I hoping I can jam in x4 M.2 drives along with my other drives. I have no idea when Noctua will send a mounting kit I hope I did everything right sent them two screenshots of proof or purchases.

The Asus z690 I was looking at has a TPM header, but does not mentioned having one on board. Do the Alder lake chips have a firmware TPM onboard? I guess I don't see how they are meeting the TPM requirement for 11.

The Asus z690 I was looking at has a TPM header, but does not mentioned having one on board. Do the Alder lake chips have a firmware TPM onboard? I guess I don't see how they are meeting the TPM requirement for 11.
Yes, newer Intel and AMD CPUs have stuff built into the CPUs, which satisfy the requirement. You have to have certain settings turned on in the bios, for it to work. Most motherboard manufacturers are issuing bios updates, which turn those features on by default.

I didn't have a lot going on today so I must have put Alder Lake components in and out of my cart like 10-15 times today. Using it mainly for games at 4K is making me say no. The itch is there to upgrade (as usual), but can't get myself to justify taking the plunge.

I didn't have a lot going on today so I must have put Alder Lake components in and out of my cart like 10-15 times today. Using it mainly for games at 4K is making me say no. The itch is there to upgrade (as usual), but can't get myself to justify taking the plunge.
Well I torn down my 10850K PC gaimg rig and replaced it with 12900K and I only PC game at 4K. There is 0% difference in FPS with about 20 Games tested so far.
At 720P lowest settings there is a hugh difference.
I always scratch my itch for new PC gear but I am an idiot and it is a hobby for me. Owned 10+ CPU's in the last 2 years and they were all the same at 4K PC gaming.

Well I torn down my 10850K PC gaimg rig and replaced it with 12900K and I only PC game at 4K. There is 0% difference in FPS with about 20 Games tested so far.
At 720P lowest settings there is a hugh difference.
I always scratch my itch for new PC gear but I am an idiot and it is a hobby for me. Owned 10+ CPU's in the last 2 years and they were all the same at 4K PC gaming.
Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't change my cpu's out that often, but have upgraded other things in my PC along with my cases quite often. As you said it's a hobby. Sounds like based on what you have found out is what I've been reading from others.

LOL so you will be buying new Intel system awesome. It is a hobby for fun and I am just glad I do not like cars.

LOL, no not quite yet, but as I said it's tempting. I have a coworker who is into cars, and it's a way more expensive hobby than PC's for sure.

I cannot for the life of me find any DDR5.
It simply doesn't exist outside of the few hundred sticks made for Alder Lake launch day, and most of those went to YouTubers it seems.

Hasn't DDR5 been in mass production since, like, April? Where the hell is it all?

Back