Alder Lake launching November 4th

If you can get your hands on one of the "cheap" Z690 boards at ~$200 and reuse existing DDR4 you already have, especially if you have any kind of decent performance RAM or even just a lot of it (32GB+), and pair it with a 12600k, you are going to have the best of every world right now without most of the early adopter tax.

That really is a no-brainer.

Hell. Considering that the only affordable DDR5 4800 STARTS at $120+... and it's not fast at all... if you have DDR4 3200 16GB (no matter what the timings) or better you might as well keep it and use it.

newegg still has these DDR4 boards in stock tonight for $200: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aor...re=z690-_-13-145-349-_-Product&quicklink=true

just slap on RAM you already have and done.

Last edited:
By the time that the DDR4 MB is really holding it back, Intel will have a new platform/socket.
Lets see if we get the refreshed AL cpus on the same socket even.. Intel and all. AL is a good showing for Intel compared to last gen and if they can get the power draw in line its worth a look whenever the revision comes out. However unless one is coming from a 3-4yo, or more ,platform I don't think the buy in is worth it just yet.

Worth it? No. Are we going to do it? Yes. I am switching from a 10700k. Will it make a difference? Not much. Can't help myself.

If you can get your hands on one of the "cheap" Z690 boards at ~$200 and reuse existing DDR4 you already have, especially if you have any kind of decent performance RAM or even just a lot of it (32GB+), and pair it with a 12600k, you are going to have the best of every world right now without most of the early adopter tax.

That really is a no-brainer.

Hell. Considering that the only affordable DDR5 4800 STARTS at $120+... and it's not fast at all... if you have DDR4 3200 16GB (no matter what the timings) or better you might as well keep it and use it.

newegg still has these DDR4 boards in stock tonight for $200: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aor...re=z690-_-13-145-349-_-Product&quicklink=true

just slap on RAM you already have and done.
Yeah, that makes the most sense. I also just realized that DDR5 boards only support up to 6200 or 6400 anyway, so that DDR5 10000 would require a new board anyhow. I have currently 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V @3400 CAS 16. I could just throw that on it.

Yeah, that makes the most sense. I also just realized that DDR5 boards only support up to 6200 or 6400 anyway, so that DDR5 10000 would require a new board anyhow. I have currently 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V @3400 CAS 16. I could just throw that on it.
It's always been this way. My PCs with first gen DDR4 and DDR3 are super slow compared to what came later with the RAM.

And it's not just RAM.

PCI 5 graphics cards are going to require a new power supply. It currently doesn't exist yet to purchase.

It's pretty obvious that these features are primarily for show of how they support all these new features. But by the time the features become useable, while they'll technically be supported, you'll probably need to replace the entire system to actually get any real use out of them.

There's a difference between official support and unofficial "overclocking." I think Intel only officially supported up to 3200 on previous gen (and much lower on the generations before), but the actual numbers were much higher (4000+). I wouldn't be surprised if current boards got up to 10000 with a good memory controller on the CPU.

Is there any information on if Windows 10 21H1 and older will schedule the E-Cores with the same as P-Cores, because that seems like it would gimp performance overall if it was being treated equally.

Worth it? No. Are we going to do it? Yes. I am switching from a 10700k. Will it make a difference? Not much. Can't help myself.
hard.png

Is there any information on if Windows 10 21H1 and older will schedule the E-Cores with the same as P-Cores, because that seems like it would gimp performance overall if it was being treated equally.
I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually add the new scheduler to W10. But for now, its an unknown. And for now, there are several scheduling errors with W10 and Alderlake. An example I saw was handbrake putting most of its threads on the E cores, for drastic performance loss in encoding.

And there are still improvements to be made with the one in W11.

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually add the new scheduler to W10. But for now, its an unknown. And for now, there are several scheduling errors with W10 and Alderlake. An example I saw was handbrake putting most of its threads on the E cores, for drastic performance loss in encoding.

And there are still improvements to be made with the one in W11.
I think they said 'partial' support is coming to 21H2.

On any build of 10 older than 21H2, if the scheduler is seeing all cores equally, but E cores run at significantly slower speeds, I think that would be gimping some workloads.

Official word from Be Quiet:

We checked with our team in Germany and unfortunately the LGA1700 mounting kit is not compatible with the Shadow Rock TF2 and they will not be offering one in the future.

major bummer, because its one of the best air coolers for Sliger S610, MCase M1, etc.

Well I am an idiot,I know there is no difference in PC gaming,after cancelling my 12900K,motherboard,ram yesterday ,I went out to the computer store today and bought 12900k,motherboard blah blah but I can not install,still waiting on 1700 bracket for AIO 360mm.Good new bought one of those fancy M.2 7000MB/s drives which also make no difference in PC gaming.Hurry up and release something new AMD so I can sell this crap.

I doubt the scheduler will ever reach parity with whatever they do for Win 11. Simple sales. Both Intel and Microsoft will be able to sell more of their new products if there is some kind of measurable performance reason to switch.

So whether it's completely fixable or not, don't expect it to be. If you are buying AL, just assume you are installing Win 11.

Is this going to be a Core 2 Duo 2.0? I would love to see it.
Royal Lake is supposed to come out 2024. :D Anyway, prices look like early-adopter prices for CPUs, RAM and motherboards. At those prices I wonder if they'll keep producing Comet Lake and Rocket Lake to give customers a cheaper alternative.

according to a review, the 12600k uses a lot of power relative to the 11900k in blender. Only slightly lower.

the 12600k is still a power hog

This Jayz2cents guy is an idiot.

How do you figure (at least from that video)? He set up a test, conducted the experiment, and let you know the results. It's no secret what his components or methodology is unlike other nonsense YT talking heads.

And from what I've seen, his results seem to follow what everyone else has been saying. Great CPU...power hog.

I think they said 'partial' support is coming to 21H2.

On any build of 10 older than 21H2, if the scheduler is seeing all cores equally, but E cores run at significantly slower speeds, I think that would be gimping some workloads.

So pretty much you either hope Intel's hardware scheduler works, disable the E cores, or use Win 11.

Well my moves continue to be bad. Got some parts and no bracket on 2 different AIO 360MM coolers.Time I get the brackets,AMD would have released there new CPU.I would even pay for overnight shipping on either CPU cooler.
Desktop PC should never be concerned with power at least in NA but I read some tree hugger complaints on some forums.

Attachments

• 12900K no bracket.jpg
    12900K no bracket.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 1
If I were to go with Alder lake, I would use DDR4. From what I have seen (Hardware Unboxed review), DDR4 runs right with the current DDR5 offerings for the most part.

DDR4 would be an obvious choice imo if you did not need a new motherboard for Alderlake and if the new motherboard would support both, the current situation can make it somewhat a question to some I imagine (specially those buying very expensive board)

DDR4 would be an obvious choice imo if you did not need a new motherboard for Alderlake and if the new motherboard would support both, the current situation can make it somewhat a question to some I imagine (specially those buying very expensive board)
I bought a $230USD Z690 DDR4 and will be running DDR4 5333Mhz CL 22,or DDR4 4000/4200 Gear 1 CL14.
My point is Intel is evil and the worst company in the world but they have a fast CPU.There is that.

I bought a $230USD Z690 DDR4 and will be running DDR4 5333Mhz CL 22,or DDR4 4000/4200 Gear 1 CL14.
My point is Intel is evil and the worst company in the world but they have a fast CPU.There is that.
Evil ? Maybe it is just that ddr4 and 5 different enough that a motherboard supporting both would have quite complicated ?

If you have a MicroCenter nearby, they have it for $299 and the i7 12700k for $399.

The nearest Microcenter to me is 2 hours away, and the gas, tolls and higher taxes make Microcenter more expensive.

Will be nice to have Amazon deliver the CPU and motherboard to me on Monday.

Please report back on what you can get stable in Gear 1. Rocketlake was only stable to about 3733mhz in Gear 1.

Please report back on what you can get stable in Gear 1. Rocketlake was only stable to about 3733mhz in Gear 1.
Waiting on two different LGA 1700 Brackets so I can finish building the 12900K rig.Might take another week to get the brakets

Waiting on two different LGA 1700 Brackets so I can finish building the 12900K rig.Might take another week to get the brakets

Who are you waiting on them from? I'm still trying to decide on an aio but haven't been able to find anyone shipping with LGA 1700 hardware.

Amazon lost both my motherboards that were suppose to be delivered on the 5th. Thankfully I had a 3rd backup ordered from Newegg that arrived yesterday.

Who are you waiting on them from? I'm still trying to decide on an aio but haven't been able to find anyone shipping with LGA 1700 hardware.
MSI and Enermax. Both have responded to my request for the brackets but it is the weekend.So tomorrow I will be calling and try to have them shipped to me same day or overnight.

I am ok though ,have 10850K/RTX 3080 tp hold me out for a couple days

IF you want a bracket there are over 100+ in stock with one day shipping.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aset...-intel-lga-1700-35-150-0000021-hs-056-as.html

Compatible Brands:
NZXT Kraken X
NZXT Kraken Z
Alpenfohn Glacier
ASUS ROG Ryuo
ASUS ROG Ryujin
ASUS ROG Strix LC
ASUS TUF
Fractal Design Celsius+
Gigabyte AORUS WATERFORCE X
Phanteks Glacier One
MSI MEG Coreliquid
MSI MPG Coreliquid
EVGA CLC

MSI has some AIO which are LGA 1700 ready

Yeah, their C and P variants come with the hardware. I have the C240 in my cart right now, really wish they had the R240 with the bracket though so I didn't have to have the MSI logo on it. I'm waiting to hear back from NZXT on their shipping time frame for the brackets before pulling the trigger on the MSI.

MSI and Enermax. Both have responded to my request for the brackets but it is the weekend.So tomorrow I will be calling and try to have them shipped to me same day or overnight.

I am ok though ,have 10850K/RTX 3080 tp hold me out for a couple days

IF you want a bracket there are over 100+ in stock with one day shipping.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aset...-intel-lga-1700-35-150-0000021-hs-056-as.html

Compatible Brands:
NZXT Kraken X
NZXT Kraken Z
Alpenfohn Glacier
ASUS ROG Ryuo
ASUS ROG Ryujin
ASUS ROG Strix LC
ASUS TUF
Fractal Design Celsius+
Gigabyte AORUS WATERFORCE X
Phanteks Glacier One
MSI MEG Coreliquid
MSI MPG Coreliquid
EVGA CLC

I didn't realize Asetek had a kit for their OEMs, unfortunately it's not showing up on their US Amazon store yet. I'm guessing OCUK won't get it to the US in one day even though they are charging £19.28 for shipping.

Back