Alder Lake launching November 4th

That's the price for buying them per 100x. It's natural that there's going to be some markup.
Well Bestbuy is only marking up $11 on the 12600k and 12700k so....it would seem that Intel's pricing isn't too far off reality.

i wish walmart offered intel cpus

capital one is giving 8% cashback for walmart purchases.

I just want to see if the i7 Alder Lake is any better than my i9 Comet Lake.
I would get a i9 but I mean I used to get Intels for 200.00 from 2014-2017 through the Retail Edge program.
So paying 670.00 for the I9 would be kinda silly when the I-7 might be good 429.00 enough with the better DDR5 Ram.
You just forget about it in your system anyway unless you don't meet specs 5 years from now for whatever game.

I just want to see if the i7 Alder Lake is any better than my i9 Comet Lake.
I would get a i9 but I mean I used to get Intels for 200.00 from 2014-2017 through the Retail Edge program.
So paying 670.00 for the I9 would be kinda silly when the I-7 might be good 429.00 enough with the better DDR5 Ram.
You just forget about it in your system anyway unless you don't meet specs 5 years from now for whatever game.
I think it depends on what you plan to use it for and how often you upgrade. I've stuck with a 9900k for over a year now and I planned on seeing what the offerings are for Alder Lake/AMD when I switch over full time to my W10 install. So far the extra core counts won't do anything for me since I pretty much only game on my desktop.

I'm not anywhere near a Microcenter and have never done anything like buy during a no stock market. I need to snag a 12900 on the 4th.

How do I do it?

What would you guys recommend?

I have the Asus Hero pre-ordered

I'm not anywhere near a Microcenter and have never done anything like buy during a no stock market. I need to snag a 12900 on the 4th.

How do I do it?

hero is the best bet on this platform hero, I got the extreme just because I'm an idiot. you know, when you have passion about those things is difficult to not be idiot xD

hero is the best bet on this platform hero, I got the extreme just because I'm an idiot. you know, when you have passion about those things is difficult to not be idiot xD
Any reason you say that? Are there any reviews out yet for the z690 boards?

How do I do it?

If you don't already have one, setup a Bestbuy account and keep the site logged in. Go to the 12900k page and press the "save" button to add it to your favorites list. check that page every 5 minutes on November 4th.

Check Newegg's 12900k page multiple times per day. Have been re-opening pre-orders, as they receive stock.

Check the Newegg shuffle on the morning of November 4th. The shuffle usually opens around 8AM Pacific Time.

Check B&H and Adorama camera's sites on November 4th. Their pre-orders are sold out. But they may have some reserved for launch day.

Check Roguecast on launch day. There's a chance they might post some for sale. You could even message them and ask.
https://roguecast.com/category/a71397c7-bf6e-4449-8ce8-548cfdc426a7

I intend to use an EK 240mm AIO on a 12700k in an ITX setup. But EK hasn't yet announced conversion kits for the mounts.

I have a BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF 2 on hand----and BeQuiet announced they will have conversion kits. However, you can't order them until Alder Lake release day. And with the way the mail is right now....who knows when I will get it...

cooler brands should have had conversion kits available at least a month ago.
EK replied:

thank you for contacting us.
The LGA 1700 mounting kit for AIO is in the works and should be available soon. Please stay tuned for more information on our website or social media.

I bought

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black with LGA 1700 Mounting kit for the Asus Maximus Hero board​

I have a Hero and Formula ordered if DDR5 is worthwhile. I have a Z690-A D4 ordered in case it's a wash or DDR4 is slightly better since I have a B-die kit that I'd much rather use and save some $.

Basically my approach depending on reviews is go all out or be conservative but either way I am moving from AM4 because I've had a poor experience.

I think the Z690-E is the sweet spot, only ordered the Formula because it's white and I have 0 intention of putting it under water which is pathetic.

I'm looking forward to see where this series ends up standing in testing after release so I can compare with my 5950x setup... but 100% plan to skip as it will not be a big enough jump from my current setup. TBH, I'd rather wait for 24+ lanes of PCI 5.0 (for future NVMEs and chipset/IO comms) and by then there will be good DDR5 kits for the price of the introductory kits coming out now.

Also very curious to see how this Pcore / Ecore stuff works out for gaming...

This seems legit
1dqi86ib6ex71.jpg

For R23, that's a little over 4000 more multicore points, than my 3900x at 4.1ghz all core. And about 1000 points better than Techpowerup's stock 5900x (overclocked 5900x can reach about 24k-25k). Keeping in mind that the 12700K has 4 less threads. Those P cores are punchy!

The user whom posted this on Twitter, said peak power usage during this score, was about 160w.

They said this is with DDR5 4800

Last edited:
But but but I thought these were space heaters while I leave them idle when not playing my battlefield? :ROFLMAO:

But but but I thought these were space heaters while I leave them idle when not playing my battlefield? :ROFLMAO:
It sounds like this user may have his motherboard set to respect Intel's suggested power/turbo settings. It will be interesting to see Techpowerup's scores and power usage, with their "max turbo" setting that they always do.

This seems legit

For R23, that's a little over 4000 more multicore points, than my 3900x at 4.1ghz all core. And about 1000 points better than Techpowerup's stock 5900x (overclocked 5900x can reach about 24k-25k). Keeping in mind that the 12700K has 4 less threads. Those P cores are punchy!

The user whom posted this on Twitter, said peak power usage during this score, was about 160w.

They said this is with DDR5 4800
Updated 12700k score, after switching to W11. And he did a single core score, as well. That single core score is amazing. Breaking 2000 should be doable for 12900k.

FDSTfIsWEAs6hVk?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Last edited:
Updated 12700k score, after switching to W11. And he did a single core score, as well. That single core score is amazing. Breaking 2000 should be doable for 12900k.
Seems like an impressive IPC gain. Performs 12% better Single core on R20 than my 5950x and 17% better in R23 for single core. Obviously, my 5950x still spanks it in Multicore, but that's impressive for a 12700k, and the 12900k will surely do better for Multicore.

Loving that Intel and AMD might BOTH be in the game for once; benefits all of us!

12600k. 115w. Pretty impressive!for 16 threads. This puts it in line with a 10850k and not far off a 3900x.
Depending on pricing/watt change of course but if those are "Ok", dud Intel made a generation jump where the 600 beat the previous 900 in heavily multithread scenario would that be novel ? (to be fair they skipped an upgrade with the 11th gen but still)

If those hold up in real world affair, that would be something the x86 PC side really needed, next Ryzen now.

Seems like an impressive IPC gain. Performs 12% better Single core on R20 than my 5950x and 17% better in R23 for single core. Obviously, my 5950x still spanks it in Multicore, but that's impressive for a 12700k, and the 12900k will surely do better for Multicore.

Loving that Intel and AMD might BOTH be in the game for once; benefits all of us!
Looks like the 12900k at max power settings, can meet a stock 5950x.
At 217w that's already maxing out a 360mm AIO. So....that's likely not gonna be doable for air coolers or 240mm AIO. Seems you will need a custom loop to support overclocking further.

Whereas a 5950x can comfortably give you 27-28,000 cinibench R23, on a 240mm AIO.

*Intel did slim down the die thickness and the thickness of the solder while also increasing the thickness of the IHS. So....it should be more a little more manageable than Rocket Lake.

It will also be interesting to see if the first couple of bios updates bring any tangible performance improvements. Rocketlake's latency improved with bios updates and clawed back some gaming performance.

Seem like dell for now only offer liquid cooling chassis on their Alienware with the 12th gen, which may or may not be an indication.

Seem like dell for now only offer liquid cooling chassis on their Alienware with the 12th gen, which may or may not be an indication.
Probably because a few big youtubers gave Dell, Lenovo, Asus, etc --- a lot of bad coverage, for putting tiny heatsinks on 11th gen CPUs...

Dell uses some pretty cheap-o mobos and other components so would not be surprised.

My motherboards shipped from Amazon which was the last piece of the puzzle. Excited to get it setup on Friday.

Last edited:
Dammit was not aware there were pre-orders available for the 12900K. Sigh.. now to play the waiting game... again. :rolleyes:

Anyone know if any reputable e-tailer has the 12900K in stock? I can't find the Asus Z690 Extreme anywhere in stock either.

Dammit was not aware there were pre-orders available for the 12900K. Sigh.. now to play the waiting game... again. :rolleyes:

Anyone know if any reputable e-tailer has the 12900K in stock? I can't find the Asus Z690 Extreme anywhere in stock either.
Might be good for you, the extreme is extremely overpriced!

Back