Alder Lake launching November 4th

I lost to FOMO. I managed to get the 12900k from Bestbuy—it was way cheaper there than everywhere else! BestBuy looks like the best place to shop PC hardware nowadays whereas all the other stores are scalping everybody

Dammit was not aware there were pre-orders available for the 12900K. Sigh.. now to play the waiting game... again. :rolleyes:

Anyone know if any reputable e-tailer has the 12900K in stock? I can't find the Asus Z690 Extreme anywhere in stock either.
amazon

All is overpriced… i had a z690 formula, 12900k and ddr5 5600cl38 total value 1750 euro. I cancelled it and moved to gigabyte gaming x mobo with existing ddr4 4333cl32 and a 12600k. 500 euro total… and it’ll differ 5 fps at most on my 3080ti at 4k.

Ddr5 tests show it’s useless…

If I go alder lake I need an itx or matx board. And the only itx ddr 5 board i see is almost $500? The Matx board is $350. So I guess I'll wait.

Picked up 12900KF and Asus Strix F combo from Amazon. Still can’t find DDR5 options that I like.

Dammit was not aware there were pre-orders available for the 12900K. Sigh.. now to play the waiting game... again. :rolleyes:

Anyone know if any reputable e-tailer has the 12900K in stock? I can't find the Asus Z690 Extreme anywhere in stock either.
NE selling them but with cooler bundles.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The results seem a bit all over the place today
borderlands-3-2560-1440.png
Ud3aSBUXqXvnzAVFrAkWbT-970-80.png.webp

Wendell review:

Seem to say to expect a lot of noise right now, from platform to platform and even game to game on the same one, would take a little bit (win11, drivers, game updates, etc...) to stabilize to the final result I feel like.

On techpower result they make it look like a 12600k has being pretty much has good has it get for just gaming.

Bequiet announced their LGA 1700 mounting kits today. As with other companies, you have to fill out a form, provide invoices, or just buy a kit.

The kits aren't shipping until mid November.

FACE PALM

The results seem a bit all over the place today
View attachment 409545
Ud3aSBUXqXvnzAVFrAkWbT-970-80.png.webp

Wendell review:

Seem to say to expect a lot of noise right now, from platform to platform and even game to game on the same one, would take a little bit (win11, drivers, game updates, etc...) to stabilize to the final result I feel like.

On techpower result they make it look like a 12600k has being pretty much has good has it get for just gaming.

Toms used a 3090. Techpowerup used a 3080, for one thing. It is still curious.

Bequiet announced their LGA 1700 mounting kits today. As with other companies, you have to fill out a form, provide invoices, or just buy a kit.

The kits aren't shipping until mid November.

FACE PALM
ANNNNNND my Shadow Rock TF2 isn't supported by the mounting kit

So between my EK 240mm AIO and my Be Quiet Shadow Rock TF2 I.......can't cool my 12700k right now. FML

Toms used a 3090. Techpowerup used a 3080, for one thing. It is still curious.
And Wendell on Borderland on a 3090 has the 12900k with a good lead at 1440p but the other way around and by a good amount with a 6900xt, quite noisy it seem right now.

Enough that it would be nice to wait to make decision if one can afford too I feel (but I have not went in details at all, maybe the situation is already clear)

Now debating whether to keep my orders or just cancel them.

As with every single hardware launch lol.

I bought a 12700K from BestBuy, but I'm not certain I'll keep it yet. They are offerings returns until January so at least there's that.

Holy @$#@ the Gamer's Nexus review. You're kind of thinking "yeah, Intel's doing good here..." THEN you get to the power draw and your brain suddenly stops like a car crash when you fully realize that it was at nearly 250W at STOCK on a 360mm rad!!!

He said at the end that he'd like to try it on a tower air cooler to compare... YA THINK? I have serious doubts this processor can do more than match a stock 5900x if you ONLY cool it with a Noctua NH-D15.

I overclock my 5900x a bit, and I still have to be aware of keeping total power limits inside around 180w on a really heavy workload to keep from saturating my HUGE tower cooler.

Look, I buy whichever company's product is compelling. I've owned ever major CPU from Intel and AMD since the very beginning. But I'm having a hard time calling these performance gains "legit" when the only way they managed it was to run anywhere from 100-125w above a STOCK 5900x or 5950x respectively.

I'm still just kind of speechless. A triple AIO liquid cooler REQUIRED for STOCK operation of a consumer CPU? Really Intel?

How would people react if Nvidia would have REQUIRED all AIB partners to put triple fan liquid cooling on every 3080 and 3090? Would that fly with everyone giving them glowing reviews too? I think not.

I overclock my 5900x a bit, and I still have to be aware of keeping total power limits inside around 180w on a really heavy workload to keep from saturating my HUGE tower cooler.
The 12600k numbers are maybe more realistic for most potential buyer for that reason (and maybe why there is so much noise between different benchmark made, a 12900k 5.0ghz OC can peak over 400 watt on a stress test, which I can imagine some testers setup made that possible and some others not), the 12900k specially paired to a giant priced GPU is an ultra enthusiast machine, so it is ok to have enthusiast level cooling, but it would be nice to have some high quality high priced noctua air cooling at reasonable noise with it, to have realistic expectation.

Last edited:
Yes I just watched Linus review where he did something a little more "home user" and put the NH-D15 on the 12600k and 12900k.

Yeah, on 12900k it's hopelessly not enough unless you are actually going to be careful what you run on it. Which is unacceptable to me.

But, I completely admit that the max power draw of the 12600k fits inside the Noctua limits... and with the extra efficiency cores and new gen performance with DDR5 it's a monster for the CPU price. The remaining reason NOT to get one is only that the motherboard and RAM price is still outrageous. That might change over the next few months. But for strictly gaming? Yeah the 12600k is eventually really going to be a thing.

Is this the first time Intel has changed their mainstream socket layout in like 10 years? Doesn't look like current mounts will fit.

Now debating whether to keep my orders or just cancel them.

As with every single hardware launch lol.
I had purchased a 12900K from Newegg then I seen Gamersnexus' video and the ending got me. Steve said it doesn't seem to be worth upgrading if you have a 10th or 11th gen cpu right now, and that caused me to cancel the order which I was on the fence with anyway. Can't really justify price for the gains I would see over my 10850K. I may change my mind, but with everything selling out so fast I decided to hold off a bit.

Do the e-cores look different in task manager or are they hidden? I guess this may be different in 21h1 vs 21h2 vs 11.

I had purchased a 12900K from Newegg then I seen Gamersnexus' video and the ending got me. Steve said it doesn't seem to be worth upgrading if you have a 10th or 11th gen cpu right now, and that caused me to cancel the order which I was on the fence with anyway. Can't really justify price for the gains I would see over my 10850K. I may change my mind, but with everything selling out so fast I decided to hold off a bit.
That seems like a sensible approach in your case. However for me, I want to upgrade now from an i7-6700K, and it seems like the i5-12600K is a no-brainer.

the 12600K looks to be the sweet spot. Content it matches 5900/5950x and games trades blows with the 5600x and 5800/5900 chips

All is overpriced… i had a z690 formula, 12900k and ddr5 5600cl38 total value 1750 euro. I cancelled it and moved to gigabyte gaming x mobo with existing ddr4 4333cl32 and a 12600k. 500 euro total… and it’ll differ 5 fps at most on my 3080ti at 4k.

Ddr5 tests show it’s useless…
Smart. PC3200 LL DDR4+12600K best bang for your buck period

the 12600K looks to be the sweet spot. Content it matches 5900/5950x and games trades blows with the 5600x and 5800/5900 chips
I thought that too, but Steve at HU said these do not overclock well. You could argue the upcoming 12600 non-k or even the upcoming 12400 may be the 'best' bang for your buck for gaming considering there's not much headroom and those chips could cost 30-40% less.

And people are complaining about DDR5 memory - NewEgg has 4800 potato memory 16GB kit for 130 bucks now to get started, then in a year see what's better available. Why buy a DDR4 board then have to upgrade both board and memory in a year .. seems like a waste.

Last edited:
I thought that too, but Steve at HU said these do not overclock well. You could argue the upcoming 12600 non-k or even the upcoming 12400 may be the 'best' bang for your buck for gaming considering there's not much headroom and those chips could cost 30-40% less.

And people are complaining about DDR5 memory - NewEgg has 4800 potato memory 16GB kit for 130 bucks now to get started, then in a year see what's better available. Why buy a DDR4 board then have to upgrade both board and memory in a year .. seems like a waste.
That's my one reservation about DDR4 with Z690. In a year, we'll have DDR5 10,000 kits. To capitalize, you'll need another new mobo.

Gamersnexus review should be completely disregarded. They tested Win10 and 1% lows were way off while most reviews not only showed the opposite behavior but also almost no difference in performance gaming wise between Win10/11.

Last edited:
If I was buying all new right this second for gaming... I'd get the cheap DDR5 and the 12600k and have great performance and a little future proofing on features.

If I was buying for all-around content creation and gaming? I'd still get a 5900x at $530.

The guy above who has the 10850k? That's going to be a timeless classic CPU like the 8700k. Keep that thing another year.

Since I HAVE a 5900x and 32GB of B-die... I'll be selling off the 5900x for a reasonable loss and getting the 3D refresh to close the gap on the new gen with tons less power draw, keeping my D15 cooler, and waiting till late next year to see if there's a reason to completely rebuild with DDR5 yet.

Video cards aren't likely going to get cheaper next year, new models that come out won't be obtainable within 6 months of launch as usual so I'm assuming that my RTX 3080 is going to be going at least another year without being changed out. So there's no pressing need for PCIE 5 on a new mobo any time soon. 🤷‍♂️

If I was buying all new right this second for gaming... I'd get the cheap DDR5 and the 12600k and have great performance and a little future proofing on features.

If I was buying for all-around content creation and gaming? I'd still get a 5900x at $530.

The guy above who has the 10850k? That's going to be a timeless classic CPU like the 8700k. Keep that thing another year.

Since I HAVE a 5900x and 32GB of B-die... I'll be selling off the 5900x for a reasonable loss and getting the 3D refresh to close the gap on the new gen with tons less power draw, keeping my D15 cooler, and waiting till late next year to see if there's a reason to completely rebuild with DDR5 yet.

Video cards aren't likely going to get cheaper next year, new models that come out won't be obtainable within 6 months of launch as usual so I'm assuming that my RTX 3080 is going to be going at least another year without being changed out. So there's no pressing need for PCIE 5 on a new mobo any time soon. 🤷‍♂️

I don't know if the 10850K is going to live up to the 8700K status. I remember having the Ryzen 1600 and then the 8700K came out maybe half a year later? It absolutely smoked the Ryzen 1600. I miss my 8700K but my lil cousin got it for Christmas last year so at least I didn't sell it off.

Neck and neck with the Ryzen 5600X with both at their max overclock... I ran that thing with the also classic 1080Ti.. man what a combo.

Back