Alcatel-Lucent Sets World Record With 10Gbps Over Copper Lines

HardOCP News

[H] News
Bell Labs, the research arm of Alcatel-Lucent, has set a new broadband speed record of 10 gigabits-per-second (Gbps) using traditional copper telephone lines and a prototype technology that demonstrates how existing copper access networks can be used to deliver 1Gbps symmetrical ultra-broadband access services.

Achieving 1 Gbps 'symmetrical' services – where bandwidth can be split to provide simultaneous upload and download speeds of 1 Gbps – is a major breakthrough for copper broadband. It will enable operators to provide Internet connection speeds that are indistinguishable from fiber-to-the-home services, a major business benefit in locations where it is not physically, economically or aesthetically viable to lay new fiber cables all the way into residences. Instead, fiber can be brought to the curbside, wall or basement of a building and the existing copper network used for the final few meters.

I'm done with copper. It's too susceptible to EMI and the problem increases as the speed increase. A failing street light ballast was EMI bombing a DSL connection so every time the light came on and off the line would drop and resync.

yeah, bring it on. My phone line is unused for years now, since I fired ATT.

LOL.

Meanwhile on my Frontier Redneck FiOS I get 25/25. My fucking cellphone gets 75/25.

LOL.

Meanwhile on my Frontier Redneck FiOS I get 25/25. My fucking cellphone gets 75/25.

that will not work in major city's that do not have that type of service fios is dead its not expanding anywhere due to cost. this new technology will bring down the cost of running 10000/10000 links to the home instead of the Fiber To The Home it will be Fiber To The Pole and the last mile connection to the home will existing copper. that will be 400x faster your pitiful fios FTTH.

No fiber, no sale.

We all know Lab results != what you will get in the real world.

Pretty impressive. I thought fiber was absolutely necessary to get 10 Gbps.

I'll be extremely impressed when they can do this wirelessly without frying my brains and balls.

Invented in America, used in Europe, would make a catchy slogan for internet related advancements lol.

For going from the curb to a house, it's enough in the majority of situations.

Sadly that is not how it works. The last mile is usually copper to the house. The likely hood of running fiber to pedestals every few houses then running this as the last leg is not economical.

Keep dreaming though :p:p

So interesting but useless you'd have to like increase that distance at least 5 times for it to be anywhere economical enough. So lines could just run near neighborhoods.

Sadly that is not how it works. The last mile is usually copper to the house. The likely hood of running fiber to pedestals every few houses then running this as the last leg is not economical.

Keep dreaming though :p:p

and people would be surprised at how short 70 meters. ive done some data/voice/securtiy/cable installation, and people wqould be quite surprised at how short 70m is.

Fiber optic networking is superior in both bandwidth and latency. Low latency is far more important in gaming and current bandwidth plans can already provide blu-ray quality in 1080p at 10Mbps - video codecs continue to increase in efficiency; gone are the days where it takes a decade before significant improvements in data efficiency developed.

Furthermore, it will not matter what the last-mile bandwidth capacity is if the fiber backbones interconnecting them are unable to support the increased data usage consumers would, most likely, engage in. At best, advances like this are an intermediary solution providing ISPs an affordance which will allow them to delay investing in fiber optic networking; waiting for advances in Nanotechnology to enable entirely photonic networking in exchange points, nodes, and eventually to residential housing. Such plans would also serve to reduce the costs associated with materials and maintenance as fiber optic cables whose outer sheaf is comprised of graphene a few millimeters thick pose more danger to people tearing up the ground than it would to the cable. Who here hasn't heard stories of steel chains breaking under stress and taking off limbs? Humans pay greater heed to potential dangers than abstract inconveniences, but, of course, this is all speculation concerning long-term plans based upon the current research being done in NanoScience.

^ On the downside, fiber optic cabling and connectors are fragile. We run into fiber issues all the time.

Back