Album copy protection crashes windows

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
This involves the new Foo Fighter's album (which is actually pretty good imo). As soon as I insert it into the drive and autoplay kicks in, I get the following BSOD:

IMG_0950.JPG

I tried setting the options for both music files and music cds to "Take no action," but all that did was load the installer for a second or two, and then kick me to the same BSOD. Running a search for sfsync02.sys on google really doesn't give me any helpful results, nor can I really find any similar problems with this cd/protection system. I've bought copy-protected cd's before, and they've loaded fine, so this is a first for me. I'm really getting ticked at this because, other than my truck, this is the only option I have to listen to the album.

Yeah I meant to include that in the post, but completely forgot. I disabled autoplay through Tweak UI, and that doesn't seem to help. It loads and recognizes the cd for roughly a second or two before BSODing. Holding shift does the same thing. Setting the options to "take no action" also does produces the same result.

Right click on the drive's icon and select "take no action" under the autoplay tab. Then, you should be able to browse the CD. Maybe then you can see what's going on. I suspect some multimedia crap that wants to autoconnect to the net is causing the problem, assuming your LiteON plays other CDs fine. If I am right, rip the music onto your computer, and play it from there.

See if it crashes in safe mode. Then try to do the copy while you're in safe mode. Some copy protected albums force you to do this <cough Never Gone cough>.

You may want to try to see what the source of this sfsync02.sys file is, and what its function is. It may be related to the copy protection for the disc. If it is, you have to stop that service (file), and delete it. Then insert the disc, and make sure you are HOLDING DOWN SHIFT THE FIRST TIME (i.e. make like this is the first time you inserted the CD into your PC.) Then try to do your copy.

I've fixed the crashing problem. Someone over @ Genmay reccomended the following from the command prompt:

net stop sbcphid
del %systemroot%\system32\drivers\sbcphid.sys

After doing that, it solves the crashing issue. Thanks for the help though.

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/

%%$$#@@#$# DRM $#$#@#$@%$#

knew there was a reason Im running W2K w\ WMP 7 :p
& Nix

Start with a Windows 2000/XP system with empty CD drives.

1. Click the Start button and select Control Panel from the Start Menu.
2. Double-click on the System control panel icon.
3. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
4. Configure Device Manager by clicking "Show hidden devices" and "Devices by connection," both from the View menu.
5. Insert the Anthony Hamilton CD into the computer and allow the SunnComm software to start. If MediaMax has never been started before on the same computer, the SbcpHid driver should appear on the list for the first time. However, on some systems Windows needs to be rebooted before the driver becomes visible.

At this point you can attempt to copy tracks from the CD with applications like MusicMatch Jukebox or Windows Media Player. Copies made while the driver is active will sound badly garbled, as in this 9-second clip [10].

Next, follow these additional steps to disable MediaMax:

1. Select the SbcpHid driver from the Device Manager list and click "Properties" from the Action Menu.
2. Click the Driver tab and click the Stop button to disable the driver.
3. Set the Startup Type to "Disabled" using the dropdown list.

With the driver stopped, you can verify that the same applications copy every track successfully. Setting the Startup Type to disabled prevents MediaMax from restarting when the computer is rebooted. It will remain deactivated until LaunchCD.exe is allowed to run again.

Equivalently, executing the following commands from the Command Prompt will deactivate MediaMax:

net stop sbcphid

And this, kids, is why you should disable autorun as soon as you install a fresh OS. :p

_cashel said:
I've fixed the crashing problem. Someone over @ Genmay reccomended the following from the command prompt:

net stop sbcphid

After doing that, it solves the crashing issue. Thanks for the help though.

Right. That's what I was getting to. It's the exact same file I had to delete in order to get my CD to play correctly.

Back