Alan Wake = Vista Exclusive

Here's where that info came from:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=629024

xbox360 version confirmed as well.

This however is vexing:

6) PCGH: Does the game support DX 10? Will there be a fallback for DX 9 too?
Markus Maki, Remedy: We haven't announced anything on this yet.

7) PCGH: How do you utilize the DX10 API? What can only be rendered with Shader Model 4
Markus Maki, Remedy: We haven't announced anything on this yet.

Why have it vista-only if you're not sure about implementing DX10 support? Still, the game looks beautiful, it could be direct x 5 for all I care as long as I can get those visuals.

Other information includes that you'll see a 30% possible increase from running quad core, and that SLI is not a big priority for them, though they said you'll still see some improvements.

This is old news, it was announced to be Vista only, and that it will also come out on the 360 about a year ago.

This is old news, it was announced to be Vista only, and that it will also come out on the 360 about a year ago.

this interview is little more than a couple days old and gives some new info, so troll somewhere else.

No big deal, people should be migrating towards Vista anyhow, if you're not then tough.

I installed vista 64 yesterday, it's much better than I was expecting. Nicer looking and more usable than xp and not noticably slower.

They've essentially killed of the vast majority of the PC audience that way. Too bad for them.

You need to have your head checked if you think HL2 can compare to Alan Wake....

I agree with cannondale, that game looked good when it was announced before the next gen consoles were released. Now it just kinda looks mediocre. I mean i think Gears looks 100 times better.

I honestly dont see why people think this game looks good. Look at the screenshots on the official site a little closer. I think the game looks like shit especially for a game that wont even be released for awhile.The trees look worse than HL2 and the cars, at least in this screenshot, dont look much better than Max Payne 2.

At least the gas prices are current.

I'm not sure about many games looking better than that. Some of the items (like the trees) aren't great, but the detail put into most everything else is as good as Crysis. Because it's a much slower game, I'm sure framerate won't matter as much, too.

People are still making a big deal out of Vista? I thought all of that passed. It's not the 2nd coming of XP, but it's certainly no Me. It's here and it's functional if not at least a decent improvement over XP. There are a ton of next gen games that would likely run on the original Xbox but you don't hear anyone whining about that.

I am sure there will be mods and texture packs for this eventually.

I am also confident that one of the big pirate groups will make it work in XP somehow (or at least it'll be attempted).

I am sure the sales for this game will suffer big time if its Vista only. We thought Crysis sold poorly, and that was at least available on XP. They demo'ed this game last year on an overclocked Quad and SLi 8800's (at least thats what I remember hearing), and it chugged along.

Considering what happened with Crysis and the whole hype/BS fest that came from the developers concerning things like DX10 exclusive graphics, Quad core benefits, etc, I think this will be no different. The developers, from what little I've seen, have already latched onto their tech-sponsors to hype the game.

Crysis 1.5 anyone? Hopefully the actual gameplay doesn't suck as hard as Crysis.

I'm sure there was/are plenty of placeholder models/textures. I mean, that car engine interior, you think they'd really let it look like that?

the lighting engine is very sophisticated and the physics are going to be top notch, I doubt that they will skimp on anything. Let's just wait and see.

I don't see why they would make it Vista only unless MS is forcing them to. Everyone knows the Xbox is DX9 only so they can't claim its only supported in DX10 while having it run on the xbox.

I wonder if they will try and pull the same BS that COJ did with the lame ass DX9 textures vs DX10 (xbox had the same look as DX10 on the PC, but DX9 on PC looked like crap).

I don't see why they would make it Vista only unless MS is forcing them to.
Or rather, paying them to. From a developer's / publisher's point of view, platform exclusives don't do anything but shrink your target market and lower sales. Unless there's someone covering your losses, there's no reason to do it.

I am also confident that one of the big pirate groups will make it work in XP somehow (or at least it'll be attempted).

great point, and then the devs will blame the pirates for the poor pc sales figures, when the people who don't have vista and pirate it for xp wouldn't have bought it in any case.
No doubt it'll have some intrusive disc-checking security as well, for added convenience.

Instead of MS paying them to make a "Vista" exclusive... how about MS actually pays a developer to make a real DX10 game. Maybe if a game coded for DX10 (not DX9 with DX10 added later) will run great on Vista? If that's the case I bet MS would sell a lot more copies of Vista instead of doing this...

People are still making a big deal out of Vista? I thought all of that passed.

It's not just Vista - it's the fact that MS has got their grubby little paws in this and now you can pretty well bet it's going to be a turd. Look at GoW PC. It's the shittiest of the shit and its from Epic for fucks sake! MS had to put their retarded GfW Live BS in and make it look like a 360 game even though its on the fucking PC.

Just release the fucking game and keep MS out of it. I know its hard when dorky MS staffers show up with a briefcase of cash, but JUST SAY NO. Release the game with dx9 codepaths for XP on Steam and watch the briefcases flow right to your bank account.

Glad I'm on Vista :D

But who knows when they're actually going to release the game. Release date as of now: when they're done. Unless MS decides to rush them (which is a possibility), it's still going to be many months before this game is released. Vista's been out for quite a while now, it's not a bad OS, how long did it take you to adopt XP?

I'm not for Vista only games, it's rather ridiculous of MS to make such things, especially such games as Halo 2 in attempts to get people to buy Vista, but still, it's just the way these things go. As new Windows are released, compatibility for older versions goes down. You know how hard it is to play a DOS game in Vista? :eek:

You need to have your head checked if you think HL2 can compare to Alan Wake....

I remember some of the people in this thread, also lurked some of those "Crysis doesn't look good" threads and some even said "CoD 4 looks better", so it's no surprise that some would say that.

There's some big divides on the way and some of you are just going to have to get used to change.

XP / Vista divide - this is mainly driven by the fact that XP does not, and will never have support for DX10. Take a look back in history at games and DirectX and you'll see for example that DX9 debuted in Dec 19th 2002 and games which used DX9 as minimum specification for example BF2, was released on June 21, 2005.

Thats an approx 2.5 year gap between DX9 being released and a popular mainstream game requiring it to function. Fastforward to today and DX10 has been out approximately a year now so I wouldn't expect it to be much more than another year before we start seeing DX10 only games popping up, it may be longer simply due to the XP/Vista divide but not by much.

32bit/64bit divide - This is important when it comes to system resources, there's some issues with large amounts of memory on video cards and also a general issue with limits of 2gb of RAM per application, we've already seen the effects of this on older games like STALKER and with newer games like Assassins creed expecting 3Gb as recommended you're going to need a 64bit OS. 64bit XP is pretty bad and not really supported at all, your only real option is 64bit Vista which has support thats pretty much as good as 32bit Vista.

You're going to HAVE to move to Vista in the next couple of years for gaming, theres no escaping it.

Of course that doesn't justify Vista exclusives merely for the point of a Vista exclusive, however not enough is known about Alan Wake yet, it's even possible they will aim for DX10 min spec.

It's also possible that they made that decision way back when Vista was first coming out and they didn't realize Vista was going to be such a disappointment. It wouldn't surprise me if they end up releasing a DX9 version.

Maybe not, but they must realize they're limiting their audience in the PC world. Then again, maybe they don't care since the PC sales will likely be dwarfed by the 360 sales. Hmm...

This is going to be the only game I'll buy the year it comes out. Gotta support the fellow Finnish! :cool::p

You have to remember that Halo 2 for the PC was Vista only as well and you saw how long that lasted..... There was a hack to make it install and run on XP within a week of it's release. :D

Back