Alan Wake is Getting a TV Adaptation

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Variety reports that Alan Wake is getting its own TV show. Peter Calloway, known for his work on Under the Dome, Legion, and Cloak and Dagger, is said to be the showrunner and writer, while the game's original creator will be the executive producer. Unfortunately, the Alan Wake franchise ran into some trouble in recent years. The the original game got pulled from Steam, and the original developer lost their bid to continue the franchise, but that apparently didn't stop this TV adaptation. The Witcher recently got its own TV series, so maybe this is a sign of more video game adaptations to come.

Definitely what we have mapped out is a longer thing than the first game and a sequel; there is more to it,” Lake said. “In many ways, we see the universe as a bigger thing. Alan Wake is a very central character, but we have other characters around him like [friend and agent Barry Wheeler] and his wife Alice and Sheriff Sarah Breaker and other characters there. We feel this is a big universe to develop and explore in many ways.

So Microsoft must be trying to get this made? Remedy wanted to do a sequel, but the sales numbers for the first game and the short spinoff didn't justify it. Same with Quantum Break.

Interesting. I'd kinda forgotten/given up on that franchise. Such a neat setting. Like Twin Peaks meets Castle Rock without being a knock-off of either. Even though I really enjoyed the game, gameplay was pretty repetitious. The original vision for the game looked far closer to a traditional point + click RPG. You could get glimpses of that here and there, but the action sequences were kind of a letdown.
Hopefully this will inspire a real sequel at some point. It's a setting that deserves another look.

i loved Allan Wake. easily one of my all time favourite games. i'd love a tv show, in the long run if it does well we might even see a sequel game finally come to light! or flashlight....whatever.

but the same guy that did under the dome? i'm not sure how i feel about that...i'll welcome it but i'm not expecting much.

I absolutely loved the game... was better than I thought it'd be. I somehow doubt a TV series would be any good though...

Never heard of it? So it got pulled from steam now also?

This was an excellent game. Really hope they don't f*** it up.

Did anybody finish Quantum Break? Same studio. I can't seem to get into it.

Never heard of it? So it got pulled from steam now also?

It did, due to some old licenses expiring IIRC. If you wanted it still, someone in the reviews for this confirmed that the provided steam codes still register just fine as of August 2018.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What a great game.. Really hope they make the tv show similar to twin peaks

If anyone still has a Nintendo wii around, the silent hill game plays very similar

Loved Alan Wake; shows how a GOOD STORY with properly developed characters should drive a game.
Now for the American Nightmare; I really didn't think much of it. In fact I remarked at the time "Well, that just killed the franchise. Say goodbye"

Back