Alamo Drafthouse Responds To Proposed Texting In The Theater

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember yesterday when I said the movie industry was out of touch with its customers? That obviously doesn't apply to this guy. In fact, I think if more theater owners were like this, people would actually enjoy going to the movies more often.

Regardless of your age, turning off your phone and focusing on a good movie is much-needed therapy. This time of focus in a darkened room is core to the experience of cinema. Only with this focus can you lose yourself completely in the story and really fall into the magic spell of the movies. At the Alamo Drafthouse we are actively engaged in trying to make sure cinema remains a compelling destination for young people, and I agree this should be a focus for the whole industry. I just don't believe that this line of experimentation is the right tactic. A firm policy against talking and texting in the cinema is about respect: for the filmmakers and fellow cinephiles of all ages.

I went to see War of the Worlds musical in London last week. Ten minutes into the show the guy in front of me pulls out his camera and starts filming it with the view screen blaring out light. I was two seconds from tapping him on the shoulder and telling him "shut that fucker off!" when a theatre usher came down and told him to switch it off. He looked at her as though she's asked him to stick it up his ass and reluctantly turned it off.

I've often turned around in cinemas and told noisy teens to "either watch the movie or fuck off!" Amazingly it works. They never expect it.

I think this is a great idea, they should have separate showing for people who want to text, talk or bring babies. They can call it the "Asshole" showing and if you do any of these disruptive things during the regular showing, they give you one warning and if you repeat you're kicked out and are banned from all but "Asshole" showings for a month.

This is why Alamo gets my buisness. That and I can get some nice local beer and pretty damn good food while I watch my show.

Same here. Alamo recently built and opened a location in my area...first time I went was to see the new SWTFA. Ended up going three times. Gone there about a half dozen times for other movies since. Will be going later this month to see the Alien+Aliens double feature.

Best part is that it's only about a 4 minute drive from my home, and it's walking distance to a Cabela's. And it's got a Death Star in the lobby. \m/

I love the Alamo. They have two of them in Denver and neither is anywhere near me. Yet I'm more than willing to drive to them instead of any of my local theaters.
Even beyond their policies, they have great food and terrific beers on tap, too. At least 4-5 times a month they'll show a classic movie paired with a multi-course meal and drinks. Love those events.

There's an Alamo Drafthouse in KC and I love it.
Their zero tolerance for talking and phone use is a much welcomed feature for a movie buff such as myself.
They also dont let in ANYONE under the age of 18 (might even be 21) except for designated events.
They also have great food, beer selection, and full service that doesnt interrupt your (or others!) movie experience.
Only downsie is that the food and drinks are expensive, but you gotta pay to play, and more than often, I pay it. :)

About | Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

Darn - no Alamos in my state. As I don't see that many movies, I'd be willing to pay a premium to make sure I get a great experience.
I've had my fill of crying babies (get a baby sitter or stay at home - that's what my wife and I did in the day!), teenagers (I was one once, but honestly think I was quiet watching movies...), texting, ugh. Very frustrating experiences.
A friend of mine told me he went to see Dead Pool. Some idiots brought young kids. They were crying. OMG - that would almost be worth my frustration to see the look on some soccer mom's mouth for several of the scenes. Oh well, I digress.

Ever since I first went to the Alamo here in Houston they have gotten my business exclusively for watching movies. I tried the AMC near us and yeah they have electric reclining seats but every movie has kids that won't shut up and people having conversations with each other. I don't even think twice about watching an animated movie like Zootopia at the Alamo at 8pm on a Friday night because I know only good parents that know how to raise their children right will take them to the Alamo. Bad parents won't want to risk being humiliated by being kicked out for disruptions.

Good beer and food brought to your table in the theater, and 4K digital projectors with very refined speaker placement and volume levels. And the best part of all, there's no stupid commercials before the movie starts.

Every theater should be like the Alamo.

Only downsie is that the food and drinks are expensive, but you gotta pay to play, and more than often, I pay it. :)

Expensive pretty much describes the food and drink available in every theater. At least it's good food at the Alamo theaters. The food you'll get in most theater chains is, at best, "edible".

I only watch a couple of movies a year at a theater. When I do, it's usually at a Alamo Drafthouse. They Started here in Austin and have probably half-a-dozen locations in the city.

Why is Chicagoland devoid of Alamo Draft Houses? Why have I been so thoroughly brainwashed as to use the term Chicagoland?

It's too bad the Alamo Drafthouse in San Francisco has it's own hipster menu. It's a one hour drive from San Jose, plus parking & artsy & frankly gross food. Truffle flavored cheese for nachos, WTF is that? Where the hell is the Adult Grilled cheese (without truffle, thanks)? There's a market for one in San Jose, and folks would be just fine if they didn't bring the SF hipster menu with them.

Oh and even with AMC saying they aren't going to allow texting, well that kind isn't the case right now anyway, so it's just another hollow promise they probably aren't going to keep. F them.

Alamo is awesome, but the idea that it's somehow providing a distraction-free theater experience is bull. There's waiters all over the theater during the show and people smacking their traps while they stuff their face.

It's all about no phones in theaters, but Alamo is hardly one to sit on a high horse about it. I love going whenever I get a chance (I don't live near any) but I've always been distracted by food, friends or other patrons while enjoying a show there.

Why is Chicagoland devoid of Alamo Draft Houses? Why have I been so thoroughly brainwashed as to use the term Chicagoland?

You know, that was the thing that baffled me the most when I visited Chicago last year. Why does anyone think it's necessary to add -land to the name of the city? No one else does that, not anywhere I've ever been. Otherwise nice place.

It's too bad the Alamo Drafthouse in San Francisco has it's own hipster menu. It's a one hour drive from San Jose, plus parking & artsy & frankly gross food. Truffle flavored cheese for nachos, WTF is that? Where the hell is the Adult Grilled cheese (without truffle, thanks)? There's a market for one in San Jose, and folks would be just fine if they didn't bring the SF hipster menu with them.

I've only been to our Alamo Drafthouse once, so I don't know the entire menu, but the loaded french fries were outstanding.

love alamo drafthouse. we will only see movies there. Best movie experience. No annoying aholes and almost no annoying teenagers.

You know, that was the thing that baffled me the most when I visited Chicago last year. Why does anyone think it's necessary to add -land to the name of the city? No one else does that, not anywhere I've ever been. Otherwise nice place.
I have no idea, as I did not grow up here. I have seen other cities that have terms for their metropolitan area surrounding them. My guess is that it first showed up in some mattress store or car dealership commercial. Turns out I was wrong. It seems to have been first published in the Tribune in the 20's. Chicago metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The area surrounding the city is quite geographically diverse. The South Western suburbs are all flat plains filled with corn. The Northern suburbs are almost Wisconsin and full of hills, lakes and forests. The only unifying feature in the area is Chicago itself.

Expensive pretty much describes the food and drink available in every theater. At least it's good food at the Alamo theaters. The food you'll get in most theater chains is, at best, "edible".

I personally don't find the price that bad at the Alamo Drafthouses. And like you said the food is good. Normally get a carnivore pizza. :)

I have no idea, as I did not grow up here. I have seen other cities that have terms for their metropolitan area surrounding them. My guess is that it first showed up in some mattress store or car dealership commercial. Turns out I was wrong. It seems to have been first published in the Tribune in the 20's. Chicago metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The area surrounding the city is quite geographically diverse. The South Western suburbs are all flat plains filled with corn. The Northern suburbs are almost Wisconsin and full of hills, lakes and forests. The only unifying feature in the area is Chicago itself.

I've never been to Chicago but I liked seeing it in Watch_Dogs.

Back