AKG Q701's back on Massdrop $150

Rock&Roll

[H]ard|Gawd
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-q7...&utm_campaign=Product Announcement 2014-08-20

Considering I once paid $240 for a pair of these, it's pretty awesome to see they've come down in price. These were a huge drop last time.

Bass heads will best steer clear. Having owned these for two years, I can tell you what you read about the long break in period is true. Very glad I bought them. But I also like analytical sound more than "fun" or cheap "hi-fi" sound.

I just paid $200 + tax earlier this year... Nice phones. Definitely not heavy on the bass. They're relatively neutral. I think they have lower displacement than my DT990s, meaning lower maximum output, as well. But they can still get pretty loud if I don't try to crank the bass.

I use my Beyer DT990s for bassy stuff and the Q701s for more general stuff. I find the Q701s to be more comfortable on my ears, though I don't like the bumpy headband so much.

Last edited:
The K701 was one of my first desired headphones way back when. I always loved the look of them. I have some Grado PS-500s now, so I will have to pass on this, though it seems like a nice deal.

I just paid $200 + tax earlier this year... Nice phones. Definitely not heavy on the bass. They're relatively neutral. I think they have lower displacement than my DT990s, meaning lower maximum output, as well. But they can still get pretty loud if I don't try to crank the bass.

I use my Beyer DT990s for bassy stuff and the Q701s for more general stuff. I find the Q701s to be more comfortable on my ears, though I don't like the bumpy headband so much.

Which do you like better for gaming? I read that DT990's have more fun bass (punchier) but the Q701's have a better sound stage. I'm not a competitive gamer by any means, I just prefer more fun headphones.

Which do you like better for gaming? I read that DT990's have more fun bass (punchier) but the Q701's have a better sound stage. I'm not a competitive gamer by any means, I just prefer more fun headphones.

Then you want the 990s.

The 701s have a KILLER sound stage for fps. You can really hear where people are coming from.

The 701s need an amp and they are not the most comfortable.

The 990s don't need an amp and are comfy.

I agree with spaceman - the DT990s are much more of a "fun" headphone, and they are my overall preference between the two (this would not be true for everyone -- DT990s aren't for everyone). Honestly I think either would do well for gaming. The Q701s might be a bit better for positional audio, but I don't think the difference would be major.

The Q701s have a deeper ear cup. The DT990s were fine for me when they were newer, but I've had them for something like 3-4 years now and they are in need of new pads. The stock pads on DT990s are just cloth folded up a bit, and it flattens out over time. It's not to the point where it's downright uncomfortable, but the Q701s (which as I mentioned I only bought this year) are much comfier on the ears to me. The Q701s have a weird headband with bumps on it that I, like many, don't like. So they are both better and worse in comfort in my opinion.

I even use them for different music. I tend to like the Q701s for older stuff... I always wear them if I listen to, say, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. But if I'm listening to Metallica or something, DT990s. There's a fair amount of music that I enjoy equally on either one as well.

Last edited:
Nice deal. I paid $200 for mine earlier this year. Paired with a Schiit Modi/Magni combo, the sound is amazing. Headband comfort is pretty bad though

These are wonderful sounding headphones, and this is a pretty good price to pay for them. I really enjoy my pair. Keep in mind they really need an amp to shine, and the headband is rumored to made out of sea urchins. They are probably the least used can in my arsenal, and that has a lot to do with the comfort. I love the firm pads, but the headband is just awful. I do love how they sound though, enough so that I still find time for them despite having several more expensive pairs.

Nice deal. I paid $200 for mine earlier this year. Paired with a Schiit Modi/Magni combo, the sound is amazing. Headband comfort is pretty bad though

Seems like a lot of people replace the headband with one from the 712/65th anniversary series. I've had a pair of the 65th anniversary headphones for a little over a year now and they are incredibly comfortable.

Seems like a lot of people replace the headband with one from the 712/65th anniversary series. I've had a pair of the 65th anniversary headphones for a little over a year now and they are incredibly comfortable.

I should look into that. I've been taking the velvet bags that Crown Royal comes in, folding it up, and using that as a pad and it has been working pretty good lol

Battlefield 4 became a new experience once I hooked up my Titanium HD + Objective 2 amp combo to these Q701's. The positional audio is superb using CMSS. The setup absolutely added a whole new level of immersion to my PC gaming experience. I may even pick up a second pair at this price, they were a steal at $250 IMO! I'm one of the few who doesn't find the headband to be all that bad. Maybe I just have a thick skull! :p

As a proud owner of the DT990's I have yet to find another pair of cans that I like better for general gaming and most music. I do use my AKG sextett's from time to time just to break things up, but I always end up going back to the DT990s :D

how do these compare to the ATH-AD900X?

edit: doesn't look like its being sold anymore

TBH, I didn't even read the blub about this drop stopping at 125 sold.

We have access to 125 additional Q701s which we are excited to offer to the community. With no visibility into any new stock, this may be the last chance to pick up this headphone at the Massdrop price for a while.

how do these compare to the ATH-AD900X?

edit: doesn't look like its being sold anymore

I have both, so I'll jump in here :D. They aren't radically different, and either is a great headphone in this price range. The AD900X is a warmer, more sibilant headphone. The highs can be very piercing at times. Being that I'm a bit of a treble head, I'm good with this, but I can see why it would be a negative to others. The Q701 has a more clean, neutral sound. It's the least colored of all the headphones I own. That makes it a bit better for critical listening, but also a little less fun in my opinion. Also keep in mind the Q701 has a 62ohm impedance, compared to 38 ohm on the AD900X. The AD900X is easier to drive. Both benefit from an amp, but the Q701 much more so.

Comfort wise, they are a world apart. The AD900X is very light, has very little clamping force, and very soft pads. It rests very gently on your head. It's the most comfortable and least fatiguing headphone I've ever used. That said, it's also a bit tough to get it where you want it on your head, and keep it there. Especially if you have a small head. The Q701 clamps tighter and the pads are a lot firmer. Also heavier. These would all be fine, accept the headband on it is truly awful. I can feel all the ridges in the headband on my head, it's very noticeable, and it doesn't take long to get tired of it. The headband is a massive downfall in an otherwise excellent headphone. I'm thinking about picking up some scrap leather and making a new headband for it.

Between the two, I would take the AD900X without so much as a second though. If the Q701 had a better headband, it would be much harder to chose.

Back