AK Designs Octane Chair $50 off now only $100@Bbuy

Just pay for it online and pick it up in store. That's what my friend did; they didn't give him a bad time at all...

FWIW, I found the chair a bit cheap. The 2 display models were broken in the same location.

Got 2 this morning for 89.99. Thanks :)

Hoping these are worth it - they look cool anyway.

Put one together, here's some thoughts if anyone wants to get one:

This chair is made of cloth, so if you're a big fan of leather, imitation leather, vinyl, etc look elsewhere. I'm assuming they did this so you can game in it for hours at a time and your skin can still breathe.

Positioning on the seat is kind of weird, but I like it. It feels like it leans forward but I think it's actually forcing me to have some kind of good posture (curses). It has good upper back support and I'm on the taller side (6'2''ish).

There are only a few things that bother me about the chair.
1. Although pictures make it look like it has a metal base (where you connect the wheels), the base is really some kind of plastic that is sprayed over. I really would have preferred metal...
2. The lowest height setting on the chair is actually kind of high. It might take a little while to get used to.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, but I needed a new chair anyway.

Good luck anyone that's trying to get one... all I did was just talk to the manager and got them to give me the second one in store for the same price. All it takes is some luck and charm :)

defy said:
Put one together, here's some thoughts if anyone wants to get one:

This chair is made of cloth, so if you're a big fan of leather, imitation leather, vinyl, etc look elsewhere. I'm assuming they did this so you can game in it for hours at a time and your skin can still breathe.

Positioning on the seat is kind of weird, but I like it. It feels like it leans forward but I think it's actually forcing me to have some kind of good posture (curses). It has good upper back support and I'm on the taller side (6'2''ish).

There are only a few things that bother me about the chair.
1. Although pictures make it look like it has a metal base (where you connect the wheels), the base is really some kind of plastic that is sprayed over. I really would have preferred metal...
2. The lowest height setting on the chair is actually kind of high. It might take a little while to get used to.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, but I needed a new chair anyway.

Good luck anyone that's trying to get one... all I did was just talk to the manager and got them to give me the second one in store for the same price. All it takes is some luck and charm :)

The base is technically metal, but has plastic over it. I kind of prefer it that way. It is somewhat high though but it is uber comfy. Unfortunately the wheels get stuck in the ruts in my hardwood floor that my old chair made.

I gamed in it (BF2) once and going from a very low chair with no armrest to a high one with armrests, I got whooped. I'm just not used to it, but my wrists don't hurt as much now.

I love the feel though. It's like sitting in my VW GTI (MK2) seat. Firm but comfortable cloth.

So what's the current deal with this, just buy it online and pick it up in store? Or is it $99 in store as well? I'm in desperate need of a chair... I've got this crappy worn out massaging chair with two motors protruding into my ass. :(

So what's the current deal with this, just buy it online and pick it up in store? Or is it $99 in store as well? I'm in desperate need of a chair... I've got this crappy worn out massaging chair with two motors protruding into my ass. :(

This thread is 3 months old.

Just purchased it for $99 online for instore pickup in ATTLEBORO MA. Gonna pick it up tomorrow.

Just purchased it for $99 online for instore pickup in ATTLEBORO MA. Gonna pick it up tomorrow.

awesome ur a fellow massachusian if there is such a word.

not sure what guy above was talking about it sitting high?im 5'8 and its height is perfect and adjustable.and could care less about base being plastic ive yet to beat it up or break anything and its used by 2ppl 160lb, and 180lb.(prolly 190lb cause of holidays)

i cant say enough good things about the chair.(no doubt if i had tons of $$ i would get a Hmiller or something alike.)

and to boot took all of 10-15mins to assemble with provided allen wrench.

Dont think massachusian is a real word but does has a nice ring to it.

Picked up the chair and assembled it. Its construction is very solid and the quality seems great also. It fits together like every other computer chair I have put together. Its very comfortable and has much better lower back support than my last chair.

I do believe I understand what the one user said about being high. My roll out keyboard barely fits above my legs on its lowest setting but still fits.

The chair is well worth the money from what I have experienced so far so if you need a new chair I do suggest it.

I got this chair for Christmas at $142 in store, I saw the ad in Sunday's paper, and got a pricematch.

This is a great chair, position it a bit higher than my previous chair, but I'll get used to it. The lower back support is awesome.

Doc

For anyone that picked this chair up, can they measure what the height of the seat of the chair is at its lowest setting, and also the arm rests?

Thanks!

I am going for the deal this morning, I'll post back to see what happened. I want to see it, feel it first so I am hoping they will let me buy it there at the same price and not give the "Online sale only sir" BS they usually want to slap you with ... I have never been able to understand that logic (I'm here, take my money now or Keep your crap and lose a sale! :eek: ). I am sure there is a logic behind it though.

My girlfriend picked it up instore for $99 for me, so you shouldn't have any issues with that.

I'm going to ask them to pricematch online...

If not i'll just buy it using one of their computers and print it out

Got it in store for $99.99 + tax... easy to build (less than 15 minutes) it sure is different than my ole yeller chair and it will take some getting used to. You sit a bit higher than other chairs and there's no way to adjust that, you do get a better lumbar support. I did felt the butt cushion a little short for my liking (compare to my other chair) but I do beleive this is the case where my back and neck hurts because I am not sitting correctly on the other one I have.

So far I have used it for about 2 days and my neck does not get as sore as it did with the other chair... breaking old habits is sure punishment :D

Just throwing my 2 cents in. This is a fantastic chair, way better than those cheapo leather/pleather office depot/staples manager chairs. Love the wheels and how smoothly they roll. Lumbar is great, and the seat cushion is a perfect blend of softness and firmness. My back and neck definitely like it better and it has only been 3 days since I got the chair.

Just throwing my 2 cents in. This is a fantastic chair, way better than those cheapo leather/pleather office depot/staples manager chairs. Love the wheels and how smoothly they roll. Lumbar is great, and the seat cushion is a perfect blend of softness and firmness. My back and neck definitely like it better and it has only been 3 days since I got the chair.

They roll way to much.. Only problem with teh chair .. I am constantly moving around when I am in game And hate it...

according to bestbuy: this PC gaming chair allows you to stay relaxed while conquering distant lands in the virtual realm.

wow, that combined with my aspire Qpack's claim that it can simplify my life, what more can you ask for ?

Disclaimer: I haven't read through this entire thread, just the first page or two. So if any of what I say is redundant... yeah. :p

Just got mine in today... I am a big guy, around 6'4" and 300 lbs, and the chair is a liiiiiiiiiiiittle on the small side...but I don't dwarf it or anything. I just got done putting it together and so far it seems quite comfy. I'll report back after sitting in it for 8+ hours as far as comfort goes.

Construction seems very good. The back attaches with a bracket to the seat rather than using the arms to hold the chair together as so many cheap leather 'executive' chairs do these days. The adjustable arms are also quite nice. The seat itself seems very breathable and the blue color is more understated in real life than it is in pictures.

Assembly took me about 10 minutes, start-to-finish. An allen wrench is included and it's all the tools you need to put the thing together. Every joint uses solid metal construction rather than plastic so it seems the chair might be up for a long life.

The wheels rock. I hate chair mats and rolling over my carpet with my old chair sucked. I can roll with this chair almost as easily as if I were on a hard floor.

all in all I think this chair is worth $150 and certainly a great deal at $100.. shipping is about $22 so $134 still isn't bad if you can arrange in-store pickup.

Thanks for posting this deal OP! I've been needing a new chair for a loooooong time.

Does anybody know how hot this chair gets? I get really annoyed by my leather chair because I generate a lot of body heat and I get really hot in leather chairs. Whats the material like as far as heat goes?

-A

I got this chair for Christmas at $142 in store, I saw the ad in Sunday's paper, and got a pricematch.

This is a great chair, position it a bit higher than my previous chair, but I'll get used to it. The lower back support is awesome.

Doc

You guys might want to read the rules.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=760666

(25) You are allowed one signature per post. A signature section is supplied for that usage. No one wants to see your name on your posts multiple times as it is annoying.

im also looking for a nice chair, i just got this one from office depot and my bony arse has gone threw it in 6 months or less. i can feel the wood boards. my old chair least it took a few years. i need somthing for great lumbar support and neck. ohm and somthing thats gonna last years not months. waisted 180 bucks. i think i might try adding some stuffing to it.

AK customer support is awful and I will never deal with them again. Buyer beware ... my story is below.

I bought one of the Octane chairs from Best Buy (unfortunately the only place to buy it). The main piece of the chair that everything screws into was defective and every time you lean back it creaked and made a snapping sound not that the adjustment worked at all. AK requests that instead of returning the chair you deal with them directly. Their web site said you can't call them since their lines are down but the instructions offered a toll free number. I emailed them and called only to find they won't get back to you for ~2-3 business days and I never got a response from them via email. I finally got a call back and they promised to ship out a new chair and I would have it in 5-7 business days, not just the 1 piece, which I thought was great. 2 weeks later nothing had arrived, 3 still nothing, call them again and waited for a response to my message and nothing was ever shipped out. Then they claim they will ship out the main piece that day which conflicts with what they said earlier about a new chair. Already this is past the 30 day return period and I've got nothing but games from them.

Dude, did you even try returning it to Best Buy? I'm sure they would have no problem taking it back as long as you have your receipts and whatnot.

I replaced my OfficeMax chair with this AK Octane chair last month, and it is the best chair I have purchased so far.

The only things I do not like about the chair is the adjustable armrests...they adjust too easily and I wish they had a lock for it or something. Another thing is the wheel is a bit too high...I constantly run my heel over with it and it's pretty painful.

Other than that, awesome chair with great lower back support...my buns goes numb before my back even feel any discomfort.

Dude, did you even try returning it to Best Buy? I'm sure they would have no problem taking it back as long as you have your receipts and whatnot.

in my experience, bestbuy has been awful with returns... even with receipts + original packaging.

Dear God, it's hideous. Now you can rice your desk chair! What next!? I sure hope it's comfortable...

I'm sitting in a Sum chair from Allsteel. One of the best purchases I ever made. Made to last years, not months. Comfort and ergonomics are off the charts...the damn thing adjusts to your every move.

Dear God, it's hideous. Now you can rice your desk chair! What next!? I sure hope it's comfortable...

I'm sitting in a Sum chair from Allsteel. One of the best purchases I ever made. Made to last years, not months. Comfort and ergonomics are off the charts...the damn thing adjusts to your every move.

Yes and the price on it is hideous as well. :eek:

It is $800. That is not [H]ot.

$800? Holy cow. I paid less than half that much. I would guess that's probably the MSRP similar to how the chair this thread is about probably has its own MSRP of closer to $200 if you scavenged their website. Paying more for something that is going to last three or four times as long and be exponentially more comfortable to sit in the entire time makes sense to me...

Anyway, I've used cheap office chairs for a long time and have the aches and pains to show for it. I think chairs are like shoes--you spend the majority of your day using them, you might as well invest in something that will last and will be a pleasure to use.

Back