Ajit Pai: States Can't Enact Net Neutrality Rules

Before NN repeal: No cap on my Comcast internet. Never really did more than 800GB a month.

After NN repeal: I now have a 1TB cap, and according to Comcast, I managed to use 10GB in the entire week I was without service, because I was in the middle of moving. Yes, the modem was disconnected. Yes, my router was offline as well. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because I had Comcast shut service down to my apartment and transfer service to my house. Neither were even so much as plugged into the wall, and neither my wife or I use Xfinity on the go. We don't even have the stupid app for that. Our cellphones only go through our Sprint service when not connected to our home wifi, which again, wouldn't have been on due to the service shutdown.

Call me a tinfoil hatter if you want, but 10GB of data usage doesn't go through a modem that's not even in service, let alone getting power. Comcast is pulling some dirty trickery to push overages any way they can to get that much more out of people who just don't want to fight over it. I said a long time ago that it'd happen. You watch, more ISPs are going to get in on it until it becomes a media shitstorm. They will all do this until they end up in class action lawsuits over it and everyone affected is lucky if they get a fraction of what they paid in overages back.

I can't tell if the idiots in this thread are trolling or just stupid shills. Seriously. It really makes me sad that some think what's going on is in any way shape or form a good thing.

I can't tell if the idiots in this thread are trolling or just stupid shills. Seriously. It really makes me sad that some think what's going on is in any way shape or form a good thing.

No, it's call a different opinion.

Before NN repeal: No cap on my Comcast internet. Never really did more than 800GB a month.

After NN repeal: I now have a 1TB cap, and according to Comcast, I managed to use 10GB in the entire week I was without service, because I was in the middle of moving. Yes, the modem was disconnected. Yes, my router was offline as well. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because I had Comcast shut service down to my apartment and transfer service to my house. Neither were even so much as plugged into the wall, and neither my wife or I use Xfinity on the go. We don't even have the stupid app for that. Our cellphones only go through our Sprint service when not connected to our home wifi, which again, wouldn't have been on due to the service shutdown.

Call me a tinfoil hatter if you want, but 10GB of data usage doesn't go through a modem that's not even in service, let alone getting power. Comcast is pulling some dirty trickery to push overages any way they can to get that much more out of people who just don't want to fight over it. I said a long time ago that it'd happen. You watch, more ISPs are going to get in on it until it becomes a media shitstorm. They will all do this until they end up in class action lawsuits over it and everyone affected is lucky if they get a fraction of what they paid in overages back.
No chance they just check the usage a week (or so) before the service period end and put everything past that on the next bill? I know utility companies sometimes do that.

No chance they just check the usage a week (or so) before the service period end and put everything past that on the next bill? I know utility companies sometimes do that.

Service contract "Termination Fee" :)

Like how I left an apartment in flawless condition to move to another city yet get charged deposit for not cleaning up properly. Gas would cost me more to go back and argue than to just take the hit,

Pai is absolutely wrong. You pass the rules in your state, then if they don't comply, you pull their license to operate in the state for not following the required rules to use the local resources. It wouldn't be hard to have every state that wants NN to simply pass the rules that require them to be followed or have them GTFO of the state. Even if VoIP/internet can be considered under Federal jurisdiction, the wiring these companies connect to the poles or under the ground or to buildings for cell phone towers, are all local resources controlled by the state. Permission must be given to them to be able to use those resources. So follow the local laws or you can't use those local resources, it's that simple.

Pai is an asshole (by that mug alone), but he's right.
It would be a shitshow of epic proportions were there to be different rules for different States.
Imagine having 50 different Pai-like assholes in 50 different States making their own rules for traffic.

EDIT: I wouldn't assume for one second that if given the power, that States would be all "let's keep thing open, equal, and fair guys!"

To be honest, as much of a cluster-f it'd be, I kinda want to see it. It'd be the ultimate karma for the ISPs that paid to get their way on this.

"Oh, so you didn't like having one rule for all? Well, here's 50 different rules, good luck administrating that!"

For me it was a felt impact. Netflix went from loading fast (less than 3 seconds) to possibly 16 maybe 20. And skipping through content is super slow.

Yet I can download crap in the background at 17 megabytes/second...

Ping is 9ms and ookla shows 185 down and 11 up....

Run against Fast.net's speed test. It's Netflix to help determine if they're being throttled or not. For a company to do the usual prioritization of their speed test (like ookla), they'd also have to prioritize Netflix.

I want to keep Pai around, if for no other reason than entertainment, as he triggers assholes all over the internet.

It's almost the same appeal as watching Hell's Kitchen - you don't feel bad about Gordon Ramsey being a dick, because he is bitch slapping other asswipes into the ground.

I think Pai's mug is so large because he is drinking the tears of dumb and easily misled people pissed at his decisions, because some else told them to be pissed.

It's always a good idea to support corrupt shitstains because they "trigger the libs" rather than, you know, solid and fair policies that are created in support of citizens and not wealthy lobbyists.

I didn't say that it's going to happen overnight, stop putting words in my mouth. I do however believe that it's going to be over the next five to eight years.
i quoted exactly what you said.

at first it was 30 day... now you're saying five to eight years.

dont get huffy when you say something unsupportable and someone calls you on it.

No, it's call a different opinion.

So the fuck what? It's some peoples opinions that it's OK to kill innocent people. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it has to carry weight or be relevant.

You can be wrong, and if you support Pai you are. Even HE knows he's a fucking joke.

Uh... last time I checked everyone loved T-Mobile. They were putting the screws to Verizon and AT&T and people were cheering. Did this T-Mobile love affair die?
Yea when they too use the word unlimited, but with data caps. Also T-Mobile charged something like $13k for data used on a plane recently.
That's mobile Internet silly, I'm talking about fixed wireless service where you may have a half a city block (think maybe thirty people) on one network node and another node down the street serving another thirty people. 5G will bring about a true competition renascence the likes of which we've never seen. And with John Legere at the helm of T-Mobile who has shown time and time again that he and T-Mobile are NOT AT&T and Verizon, I fully believe that T-Mobile has the potential to usher in a new golden age of Internet for everyone.
Yea except that's wireless and nobody is going to use even 5G over cable or fiber. You're like one of those people who have problems playing online games and use wifi. "What could be the problem guys?" Wifi, wifi is the problem. Whatever T-Mobile, AT&T, or whatever does, it'll have a priority system much like they do on their phones.

I don't want spotty 5G internet to compete, I want other cable or fiber providers to compete. Keep that 5G shit on phones, cause that's where it belongs.

You realize he's completely irrelevant right? He's just a shitstain they offered the job to, a thousand more puppets where he came from.

It's amazing to see how easily people fall for the misdirection. And that's why he makes the big bucks.
Yea, but if we smear this shit stain, then next puppet will think twice to fuck with society. AJit Pai fears his life now, cause the death threats are real. I give it a year before he collapses from anxiety.

Exactly.

It's like those people who play MMOs only to claim the game is dying and the servers will close, and repeat it every year. "The game is going to fail this time, I know it!'

You can't reason with the crazy people waiting for the alleged pending net neutrality Armageddon; they are so far gone, they are "Waiting for Godot" and don't even realize it...
Oh hey World of Warcraft user. I see you think the game is doing fine. Remember the 12 million subs? Yes, Blizzard does too. Also remember when Blizzard used to report the sub numbers? We do as well. I hear BfA is doing terrible right now. Enjoy the game while it lasts, cause it won't.

That video was so bat shit crazy I had to downvote, and write a response telling people that electricity isn't like the internet. Electricity takes resources to create, while internet does not. Especially when we subsidize the crap out of ISPs with tax payer money, and they just never delivered on their promise.

Yea, but if we smear this shit stain, then next puppet will think twice to fuck with society. AJit Pai fears his life now, cause the death threats are real. I give it a year before he collapses from anxiety.

Oh hey World of Warcraft user. I see you think the game is doing fine. Remember the 12 million subs? Yes, Blizzard does too. Also remember when Blizzard used to report the sub numbers? We do as well. I hear BfA is doing terrible right now. Enjoy the game while it lasts, cause it won't.

That video was so bat shit crazy I had to downvote, and write a response telling people that electricity isn't like the internet. Electricity takes resources to create, while internet does not. Especially when we subsidize the crap out of ISPs with tax payer money, and they just never delivered on their promise.

So you condone death threats?

Pai is an asshole (by that mug alone), but he's right.
It would be a shitshow of epic proportions were there to be different rules for different States.
Imagine having 50 different Pai-like assholes in 50 different States making their own rules for traffic.

EDIT: I wouldn't assume for one second that if given the power, that States would be all "let's keep thing open, equal, and fair guys!"
States already do this on other issues, see the 2nd amendment.

Gladly, when congress passes a law detailing regulation or lack of regulation of information services, like the communications act of 1934. Until then the FCC is overstepping it boundaries in telling California what it can and can't do.

Well, I would say the Internet facilitates commerce just as much as physical roads, so I think the commerce clause applies here.

5G has absolutely nothing to do with net neutrality. You also have unrealistic hopes for home internet via cellular as most of the areas that would get decent speeds via cellular also have decent speeds available via traditional internet (cable, DSL, fiber). The areas that need terrestrial internet the most are rural areas, but they will never get attention as long as the ISPs aren't required to upgrade anything in the boonies, ever. In fact, there are plenty of states who have given grants to ISPs for the purpose of expanding their network, upgrading speeds, etc. Plenty of states have also been hosed on that deal with the ISPs cutting and running with the money.
But 5G represents a viable alternative option for many people. Many people have no other options other than their local monopoly, this will give people an alternative.

Well, I would say the Internet facilitates commerce just as much as physical roads, so I think the commerce clause applies here.

It totally does, Congress has the power and right to regulate the internet, and if/when they do (for better or worse) it will be a settled matter. Since they choose not to act they gave an implicit right for states to step in and do what they feel is right for their citizens. The ONLY way the FCC has any legitimate say in how the internet is regulated is if is classified as a common carrier.

Exactly.

It's like those people who play MMOs only to claim the game is dying and the servers will close, and repeat it every year. "The game is going to fail this time, I know it!'

You can't reason with the crazy people waiting for the alleged pending net neutrality Armageddon; they are so far gone, they are "Waiting for Godot" and don't even realize it...
You honestly lost me with your analogy. Wildstar announced they're closing. Firefall closed earlier this year. Asheron's Call 1 and 2 got shut down last year. In fact, here's a list of MMOs that were killed this year. Yeah, I guess you can't reason with those crazy people...

Not a chance in hell with Comcast. Not with my usage and occasional spikes from game downloads, patch updates, etc. I rack up 2GB in daily junk just on my computer from browsing according to CCleaner. And that's with all the anti-garbage stuff I have blocking everything.

True.
However, for internet traffic which likely would flow across many States to reach its destination, all in a matter of milliseconds, applying potentially different rules would obviously be problematic.

Cars and trucks flow across many states - we don’t have a federal drivers license, federal car registration, or federal traffic cops. Hasn’t proven to be all that problematic yet....

But 5G represents a viable alternative option for many people. Many people have no other options other than their local monopoly, this will give people an alternative.

Said viable alternative will not reach the people who need it the most. Those being people in rural areas and last-mile runs on the outskirts of townships. 5G rolling out is still going to be done at the hands of wireless companies. Do you honestly think they're going to save the day for rural Internet users by setting up million dollar infrastructure for a handful of people?

The same was said about 3g, 4g, LTE, and now 5g. Rural areas get the shaft unless the law forces them to pay attention to those customers. Once again, these ISPs have a fiduciary duty to make as much money at possible within the law. There is no incentive for a 2nd or 3rd ISP to enter a rural area. There aren't enough customers to divide up.

Said viable alternative will not reach the people who need it the most. Those being people in rural areas and last-mile runs on the outskirts of townships. 5G rolling out is still going to be done at the hands of wireless companies. Do you honestly think they're going to save the day for rural Internet users by setting up million dollar infrastructure for a handful of people?
Jinx :)

So which amendment is it that says the government has absolute control over information? Or is it in the original text somewhere?

The 10th is ignored for the most part. It is effectively dead letter law. See the 14th amendment and the incorporation doctrine. See Wickard v Filburn in 1942 (the feds can tell you how much wheat to grow). See the recent use of the interstate commerce clause with the healthcare rulings. See the gay marriage ruling for an issue (marriage) that is not mentioned in the Constitution at all and thus under the 10th falls to the states. If gay marriage is about the 14th and equality then why do the Feds allow states to have their own gun laws (well laws that are stricter than fed ones anyway)?

TLDR, when they want to the Feds can find a way. Some states let it happen if they agree with the principle. Hell, look at the drinking age laws pushed in the 60s. The feds threatened to take away highway funds from the states to make them all up the age to 21.

So you condone death threats?
No, but you know people are crazy enough to go through with it. What amount of money is worth not being to sleep at night knowing you just pissed off all of America? A country might I add that allows crazies to carry guns.

But I do believe he should tarred and feathered.

What do you expect when you live out in the middle of nowhere where the nearest neighbor is a cow? When you live out there expect to have shitty Internet. These same areas don't even have natural gas lines, instead they rely on propane gas. Hell, they still use septic tanks.

What do you expect when you live out in the middle of nowhere where the nearest neighbor is a cow? When you live out there expect to have shitty Internet. These same areas don't even have natural gas lines, instead they rely on propane gas. Hell, they still use septic tanks.

That isn't excusable when these ISPs have taken money to expand into those areas, and have not done so. The only thing those ISPs should be doing is watching their license to operate in the state being fed into a shredder.

No, but you know people are crazy enough to go through with it. What amount of money is worth not being to sleep at night knowing you just pissed off all of America? A country might I add that allows crazies to carry guns.

But I do believe he should tarred and feathered.

Well I can't really respond to your post because you made it political and off topic in an area where that is a no no.

No cows here, got a trailer park and three churches, hundred or so houses, and a dollar general and family dollar down the road. The rich people live in the suburbs about 3 miles across the railroad tracks. I don't expect either them or us to get 5g for a long time, either for mobile or home use, because the population density isn't very high here and where people can afford to pay more, they already have fiber at home.

I expect in major cities near attractions (like football stadiums) or around the library we might get it there, and then it'll probably expand from there, but I can't say how fast it'll be.

Well I can't really respond to your post because you made it political and off topic in an area where that is a no no.
This is about Ajit Pai, a politician working at the FCC. Kinda is political by nature, but politics that effect technology. Cause when hasn't politics effected technology?

No politician deserves to sleep well at night when they fucked over a country. Ajit Pai isn't protected from his choices at the FCC, much like George Zimmerman wasn't either where he won the case but the public left him a jobless fat broken man. In the end the states will have their own version of Net Neutrality, and Ajit Pai can't do jack. The more Ajit Pai tries to correct for this, the more attention he brings unto himself. Remember the people do not forgive, they do not forget. Expect them.

But tax money was given to telecom's to build in the middle of nowhere. And they just pocketed the money and said they can't. And people complain about food stamps and universal health care when corporate welfare is draining tax payers money and don't even get what they paid for.

That's not actually going to help anyone given the current state of SCOTUS and with Kavanaugh basically ensured to get a seat it'll just get even worse.

Heaven forbid justices actually consider the laws as written rather than making shit up as they go.

Your right, that's horrible!

State's rights only apply when you want to discriminate against colored folks or gays.
States rights end at the border of the state. The internet does not end at the border of the state. The ability of a state to regulate the internet, by necessity, is limited, to reduce affects on other states. Besides, they can just throttle you at the border.

Ajits evil level, how much he was paid off, or what your particular idea of what net neutrality is, (it seems to differ person to person), or the repeal of that version of NN that was not really NN at all that we had, does not change that. If you want NN, you need to get on your elected officials and get them to legislate it. Which is how NN should have been enacted in the first place. Our congess needs to do their damn job.

Back