AIX (ksh command-line completion?)

Danith

2[H]4U
AIX makes me sad
I want to install bash shell on this but I probably shouldn't..

Is there a way to give ksh command-like completion like bash? I know you can set it to use emacs or vi bindings but it would be nice if I could just be able to use tab for command completion and up/down arrows to recall commands

I know it's annoying coming from Linux, but I just use the emacs bindings for the double-esc completion. I have a few coworkers who are pretty good with the vi bindings too.

After the whole shell-shocker bash vulnerability, installing bash on our AIX systems is not going to happen.

I'm getting used to and learning the vi bindings. :)

edit: I'm not really a fan of AIX

I'm getting used to and learning the vi bindings. :)

edit: I'm not really a fan of AIX

I've learned to love it. Learning the vi bindings is much more useful in long run. Vi is pretty much universal across all Linux and Unix OS's.

If you don't want to install bash system-wide due to security concerns, you can put it in your home directory. Or install a full-blown Gentoo Prefix, which gives you bash, a GNU toolchain and other stuff you may be familiar with from Linux.

Install bash. It's what we did on most or all of our AIX servers. Bash makes life much easier. Otherwise, csh has file completion though it's still not as good.

Back