Airports Want Shockbands On Passengers?

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Mega2

Mega2 Limp Gawd

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf 2[H]4U

And the US government would step in and offer airline immunity, like they are for telecoms to allow warrantless wiretapping to continue.

Yes, I'm playing devil's advocate. But you can see where this would suddenly become a TSA thing rather than an airline thing really quickly. Perhaps they'd even hand the controls of the bracelets over to the sky marshals.

Honestly, I don't think any of this would happen. I think it's a wild idea that someone leaked to the press, or possibly a trial balloon. But public outcry would prevent this one, and most law enforcement agencies would quail at this kind of extreme measure. For every unruly passenger, there are hundreds of well-behaved ones, so the idea of giving everyone one of these...

3. ferrisnox

ferrisnox Gawd

You people are ridiculous. We have to have this system to defeat the terrorists. They will hit us again and we need to make sure we trample every right of every us citizen in the name of defending against terrorism. You are either with us, or you are against us and are an American hating pussy.

Vote Bush on November 4th 2008. Lets make him our permanent Commander in Chief!

4. HOCP4ME

HOCP4ME 2[H]4U

The **AA's are not associated with the government, and you'll notice that the RIAA in particular has had a difficult time with the court system.

The DHS may overstep its boundaries from time to time, but many of the things it does are good. I am glad airport security has been stepped up to what it is now. I just wouldn't feel safe flying if people could still easily bring weapons on board. Do you remember the terrorist attack involving liquid explosives that was foiled a while back? The DHS played a part (a part, I said) in stopping that potential catastrophe.

You think the Iraq war is for oil and terrorism reports are fake? Welcome to my ignore list.

If you'll notice, no one here supports a POLICE STATE.

5. xX_Jack_Carver_Xx

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx 2[H]4U

All of that is well and good, but let me make this perfectly clear....

You zap me with that thing, and I'll fucking kill you. Actions have consequences, just so we are clear on the whole THX1138 pain-wand obedience stix thing.

I aint no THRALL, bitch. :eek::rolleyes::p

6. Elios

Elios [H]ardness Supreme

ever said they were but they have the money to buy any laws they want

7. w1retap

w1retap [H]ardForum Junkie

Please do.

8. HOCP4ME

HOCP4ME 2[H]4U

No one can "buy laws". Lobbyists can use money to influence decisions, but politicians do have their own opinons, too. And they do want to get reelected.

Also, politicians have plenty of money already. Would they really risk their jobs and reputation to get $500,000 when they already have $5 million? Bribery in government just does not make sense.

9. Chombo

Chombo 2[H]4U

I really hate airports. I get searched everytime. White male, one way flight obviously a terrorist! Lets search Grandma too, that handbag looks suspicous!

Security is an illusion. Airports are a glance into the future, we are all willing to erode little bits of our liberty and right to self preservation. Its like boiling a frog slowly.

10. raz-0

raz-0 [H]ardness Supreme

The hell you can't buy a law. Lok at the copyright extension act of 1998. It's wasn't passed due to some great moraal or economic imperitive. It was lobbied for by the spouse of sonny bono, the george gerswhin foundation, and disney. THat's about it. I wonder who that benefitted the most and who spent the most money on lobbying. Because it really didn't do anything good for the average american.

For example, you make the max contribution to the campaign of enough congress critters to push something through comittee and then take it to a voice vote. You don't even need a legitimate majority then. It's not cheap, but you can buy it.

You can buy it by funneling money to their constituency, or threatening to take money away from tehir constituency.

Or if they are really industrious, the politician can run for a small local office in someplace like NJ where they allow you to keep any unused campaign funds at the end. Pump that fund up, and then don't really make a try at running, and they get to keep it all when they lose.

Then there's holding second and third jobs. Getting appointed as a board member, etc. Kickbacks after retirement, etc. The list goes on.

11. HOCP4ME

HOCP4ME 2[H]4U

Yes, all of those things can happen, but ultimately it's up to the members of Congress to decide whether they want to accept the bribes or not, and I do not believe it makes economic sense for them to do so. The maximum allowed campaign contribution by one individual or group is $5,000 per year. The salary for a US Senator is $170,000 per year. If I had that salary I would laugh at a $5,000 per year bribe.

Oh, and there are still such things as morals. I believe most politicians genuinely want to represent their constituants and make America a better nation. Unlike some people, I do not automatically assume that because someone has power, he must be abusing it. Assuming negative situations wherever possible leads to a very frusturating life. Of course, bribery and corruption do happen every so often - no government could prevent that - but I do not share the belief that America is run by lobbyists and money.

12. Elios

Elios [H]ardness Supreme

you are ether young or REALLY REALLY naive

laws are bought and sold every day
    look at the AT&T wiretap immunity bullshit that passed
    you really thing there looking out for any one but them selves?

congress is sold to the highest bidder any more
    its so anti consumer any more is scary

13. Ockie

Ockie *** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***

No offense, you say he is young, but yet you butchered your entire post.

14. jimmyb

jimmyb 2[H]4U

They've actually had far more success than failures in the court system. They also haven't had any difficulty getting laws they've drafted passed.

Take a look at the DMCA or the Mickey Mouse Act for starters.

15. HAF72

HAF72 1337 :)

Maybe some people said :p sorry for being lazy to look through the pages :D, one step closer of us being over taken by the US gov :| I think this is useless.....

16. jimmyb

jimmyb 2[H]4U

Top 20 Members receiving donations from the Movie/Music/TV industry
    Please note that the top 5 members all received over $1 million (and this is just this one industry). You're incredibly naive if you don't think this affects policy making decisions.

17. Rydawg5143

Rydawg5143 [H]ardness Supreme

instead of wristbands that shock. SHould be wrist bands that inject a sedative, and you should be able to do it yourself, you you choose so...

18. Elios

Elios [H]ardness Supreme

how?
    spelling grammer?
    your attacking that on internet forum?

would you attack some one that has a physical disability becouse they cant walk ?

19. raz-0

raz-0 [H]ardness Supreme

Wow, you are horribly naive.

$5,000? The reality is that with the right politicing, you can give about $19,600 from any individual to any given politician. Just some of that money has to make pitstops through the national party reelection comitte or state and local party officials. Lets say disney has 1000 members of upper management. They can effectively be forced to make the maximum contributions to the right places and have it bonused back to them later. There are rules about it, but it just affects HOW you go about it. It does not prevent the activity.

If disney can muster 1000 employees to do so, then that number for a "bribe" (and we aren't even into illegal territory yet, which is what a bribe would be.) is now $19,619,600. Is that enough to convince you that there is a financial interest in doing something other than representing your constituents even if you are not breaking the law?

Then, also within the law, there is blind trust stock manipulation. Assuming you believe they have no idea what is held by the blind trust (i.e. that it is being run honestly). However, there are convenient disclosure laws which require the public disclosure of the contents of said blind trust. This basically means it is a get ouf of jail free card. They hold 10,000 shares of AT&T, and AT&T suddenly gets a yes vote on legislation pardoning them for liability for illegal wiretaps? Pure coincidence becasue as you can see.. that stock is held in a blind trust. Only bob can know know what's in it and issue buy and sell orders. Except bob knows he has to maximize profit, and and the whole planet can see the contents once a year. This can yield HUGE quantities of money that don't even need to be washed through a campaign fund, and also not even breaking the law.

Heck, look at ted kennedy. 4 trust funds, the WORST perfomring of which returned $400,000 to him, the best $4,000,000. Damn, that $162,500 a year salary is looking completely uncorruptible in the face of those numbers.

Then of course you have to look into the holdings and income of spouses.. as that sacred institution of marriage is often times used simply as a tax dodge and to avoid disclosure rules. Once again.. not breaking any laws. Example.. tom harkin democratic senator for iowa. He only claims johnson & Johnson stock and dividends outside his salary. However, his wife has three high paying fulltime jobs for companies, and investments in said companies in excess of $2 million for the year. I'm sure that holds absolutely no bearing for him in any decisions ever. (might want to chekc his votes on anything that impacs conocco phillips). (Not to bash dems particulary, they are just two reports exhibiting the behaviors I found quickly. You have dems like carl levin who go above and beyond in reporting every damn penny their office spends, and republicans who are just as obfuscating as the ones presented.)

Then you have actual bribes that break the law, and yes , they do happen.

20. w1retap

lulwut?

21. Ockie

Ockie *** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***

lul wiretap. He gets mad becuase he insulted someone else first.

22. Chombo

Chombo 2[H]4U

I have a cheaper and better solution. Don't infringe on my second amendment rights and let me carry my .45 with me like I do every where else. You've already ok'ed my permit, and you even made $75 off the license.

I got mine.

QFT

QFT again.

You're forgetting Social Security, Social Programs and foreign aid.

You do realize that regardless of how much money a Congressperson brings in from lobbyists they still have be elected by the majority vote in their district. You should be mad at your fellow citizens for being stupid not your Congressperson for wanting to make more money.

23. Elios

Elios [H]ardness Supreme

at least i type out full words....

and you misspelled becouse your self ;)

24. w1retap

ahaha [​IMG]

25. Gorankar

Gorankar [H]ardForum Junkie

Great, first we have to deal with Nazi "we are going shock your ass" Airlines, and now both the spelling and grammar Nazi's are showing their heads. The terror. ;)

26. bob

bob 2[H]4U

Or what if you are on a 7 hour flight, have been sitting for hours and hours, *really* have to take a dump/piss, and the flight attendents tell you to remain seated?

This sort of reminds me of the movie, anger management:

On the plane, a person is in his assigned seat. Dave is invited to sit beside a person who introduces himself as Buddy Rydell (Jack Nicholson). Buddy seems very annoying and laughs out loud at a movie. Not wanting Dave to miss out, he asks for Dave to get a headset. Dave asks for one, but the flight attendant dismisses starts talking nonstop to another flight attendant. Dave asks her again, and she demands that he lower his voice, although he is quite calm. Eventually, they get into a loud argument that ends up with him being tasered by the flight's air marshal.

27. w1retap

what if what if what if

They don't tell you to remain seated if you have to go to the bathroom. The only time when I've flown and they said to 'please remain seated' over the intercom was during turbulence and landing/take-off. Otherwise, you're free to move about the cabin whenever, even during turbulence and landing/take-off if it is an emergency.

28. Draax

Draax [H]ardness Supreme

I have been on two flights in which the bathroom waste tanks were full, so they kept the remain seated light on the entire flight.

29. w1retap

Interesting, because they monitor the tanks and check them at every destination to see if they need to be emptied.

30. HOCP4ME

HOCP4ME 2[H]4U

I'm not sure if you realize it or not but that is exactly the point I was trying to make. When you quoted my post your ellipses left out a key "not". What I said was:

"but I do not share the belief that America is run by lobbyists and money"

31. anime4u

anime4u [H]ard|Gawd

Let's give flight attendants electric cattle prods as well to make passessengers feel right at home. :mad: By the way, what happened to "Fly the friendly skies?". Used to be fun to fly but now I would never set foot in one.

32. gryoung

gryoung [H]Lite

Sounds like an episode of the old Star Trek, "All Thralls will report immediately to Gate 9 for boarding!, the Providers have made it so!".:rolleyes: