Airport Extreme Q...

PsycoGeek

[H]ard|Gawd
Been thinking about replacing my Netgear WNDR4700 router with something else (that has AC). I've been trying to find screen shots of the admin interface for the latest Airport Extreme, but haven't found any yet that are useful (most are low res and hard to read, or are for previous generations). Does anyone know where I can find images of the interface and options? Or maybe you can tell me how you like the options vs. other routers?

Didn't post the in the networking forum as most people there seem to have all non-Apple routers.

Google image search "airport utility" and you'll find current screen shots. The UI is extremely dumbed down compared to pretty much any other router.

edit: btw, I hate it. Really need to get a proper firewall in front of this thing to feel good about having it.

Last edited:
The UI is extremely dumbed down compared to pretty much any other router.

edit: btw, I hate it. Really need to get a proper firewall in front of this thing to feel good about having it.

That's what I was afraid of. I'll probably hate it too. I'm used to being able to lock down the wireless access by MAC address, assign IP's for specific devices and IP ranges for others, use Open DNS, etc...

Can anyone recommend an AC class router for use with Apple products? I'd like to stay under $200... :eek:

You will want to ask that outside of the Apple forum where there's more foot traffic.

netgear R7000, I have one its great, been very stable for the 2 years I have own it.

I use a TP-Link Archer C7 v2. Relatively not expensive, works well for me. Stock UI is basic, but functional. I have a good mix of stuff using it including 4 Apple devices with no issue.

You will want to ask that outside of the Apple forum where there's more foot traffic.

Yeah, I figured I'd give the Apple section a try first. If there aren't many responses I'll post in the Networking section next.

Thanks for the replies munkle & Yakk.

That's what I was afraid of. I'll probably hate it too. I'm used to being able to lock down the wireless access by MAC address, assign IP's for specific devices and IP ranges for others, use Open DNS, etc...

Can anyone recommend an AC class router for use with Apple products? I'd like to stay under $200... :eek:

I've used them for years and have had no issues, but I generally view them as an appliance though. I do assign static IP addresses by MAC for many devices, then let DHCP handle the rest. You could use Open DNS just fine, no idea why not. There seems to be an Airport Extreme FAQ on the OpenDNS forums.

They've been solid as a rock for me over many years, but I don't get hung up on some other model being 10% faster in a review setting or something. No complaints..

Back