Airport Express Help

Keith130

Limp Gawd
OK so in my current setup I have my smoothwall (soon to be border control) in my office along with my VoIP adapter, the DSL modem, my computer, an xbox 360 and an 11b AP for the rest of the house desktops.

Now I patched my smoothwall so it could use my 11g card and I didn't need to buy an 11g AP. However being that my office is in the top corner of the house I'm going to move the smoothwall into the middle of the house for range purposes. I could put my 11b AP into client mode and have all my hardware run though that however that would be awfully slow especially for streaming videos which we all know is near impossible on 11b. Therefore I want to link my room into the 11g network that all our laptops run on. So I need some kind of 11g AP that I can put into client mode and bridge with the office wired network.

Then I saw the the apple airport express. I thought brilliant, if I get that then I can plug it into my stereo and put my printer on that instead of my PC allwing me to turn it off once in a while. However I was reading on the apple website that when in client mode the express doesn't use its ethernet port? Is that true? If that is the case can I hack madwifi WDS to act like apple and set the express into WDS remote mode?

There has to be someway I can use this fantastic device in my office since all the wireless will be handled by border control i'm not about to buy an apple AP.

Back