Airport & 802.11b

WALoeIII

Gawd
My house is wireless via an 802.11b router, I don't need an "Airport" router to use the wireless capabilities of a PowerBook do I?

the only thing you might have an issue with is if you have WEP turned on at the router...I have it turned OFF and just have the access limited on the wireless side to only accept the MAC address of my iBook's Airport card..that way it doesn't matter if it is seen or not nobody can join

The WEP is fine. I tried it with WEP on and broadcast my SSID and the PBook is running super smooth.

Alex

kewl...glad it is working for ya...what kind do you have? Linksys BEFW11S4 v.2 running great here...I can actually get 4 houses away in my car and still have a connection

Yeah, it should be fine. Airport is just a cute name for 802.11b anyway. I've used ibook and powerbook laptops on Linksys routers and all sorts of windows laptops on Airport. Shouldn't have an issue.

just do yourself a favor and do more security than Access Control Lists (access by MAC address) as it's easy to spoof a MAC, in combination with WEP 128 and don't broadcast your SSID you should be moderately secure from 95% of the dumbasses that like to snoop for open wireless, just cause they think they're cool

Change your WEP keys weekly and consider running another encrypted tunnel over WEP. There are some of us that are above the dumbass level (not the dorks walking around apartment complexes with a laptop open on weekends).

Originally posted by Snugglebear
Change your WEP keys weekly and consider running another encrypted tunnel over WEP. There are some of us that are above the dumbass level (not the dorks walking around apartment complexes with a laptop open on weekends).

Or keep a window open that shows what's connected. When something shows up that shouldn't, hit disconnect :p

Then listen for the yells of outrage. :D

Not everyone monitors their connection tables. It's a wise thing to do, but for APs that are up when you're not home, asleep, or otherwise preoccupied, it's not realistic. Changing the WEP keys often decreases the likelihood of someone cracking the key by snooping large numbers of packets. An encrypted tunnel over WEP secures your data further, even if the WEP key is compromised, but it will not prevent connection attempts in that case.

Nothing important on my computers that isn't encrypted anyway... :p And even then, I don't store important info much at all

Originally posted by lopoetve
Nothing important on my computers that isn't encrypted anyway... :p And even then, I don't store important info much at all

Your usernames and account passwords. They can be used to provide an attacker with a launching platform for further system compromises, threatening emails to the POTUS, stealing your real-world identity, and so forth.

Never make the mistake of thinking your personal information isn't important.

brodcast is off and for the most part I don't use my iBook a whole lot when at home...I also live on a dead end street so I would hope that I see sombody cruizing the area since I can see the street from my comp room....I did turn WEP back on at 128bit but if I remember right there are several apps that will snoop the WEP key and it only takes a couple of hours to get the key info and you are in...there is a new protocol that the Airports are using that is very secure because all the packets are being encrypted not just the connection pw so there is really not a way to hack it (from what I have read)

yes, WPA is great but it didn't seem to want to cooperate betweent my iBook with 10.3.2 and Airport Extreme base station, still working on it

Back