Airlink AR410W 108Mbps Wireless-G router.. connects a max of 4 computers? expandable?

ChesterC

n00b
I'm setting up a wireless network for about 7 to 8 computers.

I got in on what seems to be a great deal at Frys / outpost.com today.

In store they had:

these 802.11 G pci cards (normally 44.95 on sale for 15.99) I Bought 8.

and

this 802.11G router - an Airlink AR410W 108Mbps. I bought 1.

doh?

I'm kind of new to this wireless networking thing. I suppose that particular router supports a maximum of 4 clients.

What I'm wondering though is will it be possible to chain another router to the first one so that all clients will be on the same network? It's just 1 small room, so I wouldn't mind linking the routers together with Cat5 if that is possible.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

It supports 4 wired clients. You can use all the PCs on wireless with that one device if you chose.

seriously? so that is the norm with these wireless routers? they can conceivably support say 16 clients at once? Is the bandwidth, say 54mpbs or 108mbps shared between all the clients though? or can they each use the full transmission speed simultaneously.

It is shared, and the more devices that are transmitting, the more overhead due to collision type issues.

I've had a week or two with this router and I'm pretty dissapointed. It's flaky to say the least in my experience-- particuarly if you enable anything other than open system with no encryption or access restrictions. It reguarly drops connections and won't reconnect.

We're running 5 machines in a very small office and the computer farthest away particuarly has problems.. though it's only maybe 35 feet away.

Back