Airbnb CEO Addresses Issues With Racist Hosts

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who knew this was even a thing? No specifics were given on the issue but the company seemed pretty fired up about fixing things.

Airbnb is hosting its annual OpenAir conference today, and CEO Brian Chesky kicked off the conference by addressing recent reports surrounding the phenomenon of racist hosts cancelling travelers' trips. "First, let me make it clear that we have zero tolerance for any amount of racism or discrimination on our platform," Chesky said. "Over the next couple months, we're revisiting the design of our platform end to end and look at how we can revisit decisions we've made."

There is a story of a Black guy that wanted to go visit some friends in Idaho. So he rented a home on Airbnb and was turned down after the homeowner saw a picture of him just before he was supposed to show up to get the key. The homeowner said that they had a vacation planned to Idaho and they were sorry that they had to cancel on him at the last minute. So he called a Caucasian buddy up and asked him to submit his picture and see if he could rent the same home. The person was like sure! So the original guy messaged them back and said how displeased he was in the treatment. The home owner talked trash to him. Airbnb canceled the homeowner's account.

There are plenty of stories of this happening. Airbnb seems to get rid of the racists really fast. Pretty cool of them to not stand for stupidity.

There is a story of a Black guy

There are plenty of stories of this happening. Airbnb seems to get rid of the racists really fast. Pretty cool of them to not stand for stupidity.

Yeah, I find uncorroborated anecdotes to be very valuable sources of information. I mean without them, how would I have ever known Michael Brown was shot in the back with his hands up (while on his knees), or that Trayvon Martin was a 12 year old alter boy on the way to deliver food to senior citizens...

Yeah, I find uncorroborated anecdotes to be very valuable sources of information. I mean without them, how would I have ever known Michael Brown was shot in the back with his hands up (while on his knees), or that Trayvon Martin was a 12 year old alter boy on the way to deliver food to senior citizens...

Cool I can see where this is going so let me block you now before we get chummy.

It is Idaho, such a same pretty state filled with fucking rednecks.

LOL, I love how "enlightened" liberals like you are perfectly comfortable stereotyping the people you dislike.

Since we know you have a special term for poor rural whites, what do you call a third generation welfare mother living in the projects, who's never had a job, and had 5 gang banging kids by 4 different men?

Is there an epithet you have for someone like that, or are you just a fucking hypocrite?

Last edited:
Great, because I'm sure you're accustomed to people not challenging your assertions whenever you declare that you've identified "racism".

Seems pretty clear-cut to me. If the goddamn CEO of the company addresses the issue as the first thing he says at a conference, clearly there is an issue.

Seems pretty clear-cut to me. If the goddamn CEO of the company addresses the issue as the first thing he says at a conference, clearly there is an issue.

The issue he's addressing are reports in various media outlets that require a response:

"and CEO Brian Chesky kicked off the conference by addressing recent reports"

So you're saying that everyone is just lying?

I'm saying that in the absence of objective evidence, simply going along with claims of bias is a foolish thing to do. I could, in 5 minutes, post dozens of recent examples of racially charged accusations that, once the facts came to light, turned out to be complete fabrications.

These kinds of accusations have been increasing precisely because otherwise intelligent people set aside reason and objectivity because a failure to immediately react risk being labeled racist.

LOL, I love how "enlightened" liberals like you are perfectly comfortable stereotyping the people you dislike.

Since we know you have a special term for poor rural whites, what do you call a third generation welfare mother living in the projects, who's never had a job, and had 5 gang banging kids by 4 different men?

Is there an epithet you have for someone like that, or are you just a fucking hypocrite?

Wow, you only have 200 posts, and I already know, judging by the 5% of them on this thread, you are not the most pleasant person.

And by the way, to answer your question: I would cal that example a person. Most of the times when you see normal people (What most undereducated call 'liberals') name calling against a group (such as 'rednecks') because of a culture of hate that perpetuates from the group being named, it is to point out the hatred and prejudice. We name-call Nazis because they were a hateful, inhumane group who deserved no sympathy. When someone gets upset at a culture of racism perpetuating from a group or region, you can't then turn around and defend said group by deflecting the focus onto other stereotypes: you really only make the original assertions more founded.

Also, Anecdotal evidence is still evidence. Without individual anecdotes, MOST revolutions or class-action movements would never eventuate. Stop trying to sound like you have more than 2 years of tertiary education, you are only making it more difficult on yourself.

Wow, you only have 200 posts, and I already know, judging by the 5% of them on this thread, you are not the most pleasant person.

And by the way, to answer your question: I would cal that example a person. Most of the times when you see normal people (What most undereducated call 'liberals') name calling against a group (such as 'rednecks') because of a culture of hate that perpetuates from the group being named, it is to point out the hatred and prejudice. We name-call Nazis because they were a hateful, inhumane group who deserved no sympathy. When someone gets upset at a culture of racism perpetuating from a group or region, you can't then turn around and defend said group by deflecting the focus onto other stereotypes: you really only make the original assertions more founded.

Also, Anecdotal evidence is still evidence. Without individual anecdotes, MOST revolutions or class-action movements would never eventuate. Stop trying to sound like you have more than 2 years of tertiary education, you are only making it more difficult on yourself.

I can't live in compton..... because if I did they would gun me down for being white.

"When someone gets upset at a culture of racism perpetuating from a group or region, you can't then turn around and defend said group by deflecting the focus onto other stereotypes"

Also side note, if your argument validates you calling white persons in idaho, or ohio, or indiana, or alabama rednecks then we sure as hell can call those in inner cities that particular word....

I can't live in compton..... because if I did they would gun me down for being white.

"When someone gets upset at a culture of racism perpetuating from a group or region, you can't then turn around and defend said group by deflecting the focus onto other stereotypes"

Also side note, if your argument validates you calling white persons in idaho, or ohio, or indiana, or alabama rednecks then we sure as hell can call those in inner cities that particular word....

Not necessarily. The stereotype of "Redneck" is not necessarily a racial one, in fact, it is sourced more at a level of tolerance and education. A more pleasant way to put it is how Jeff Foxworthy describes his view of "redneck" as "a glorious lack of sophistication". There is a theme of lower education, often wilful ignorance.

"N**er" just means "Black person as seen by a white person".

In the eyes of a racist, All black people are 'N**ers', but in the eyes of a normal person, only SOME white people qualify as 'rednecks'. This is where a more educated person may get the 'ah HA' moment of clarity. 'Redneck', even if it were to be restricted to a certain race, does not encompass ALL white people. It only encompases those of a certain ilk. Whereas 'N**er' is a blanket term that represents 'all black people' to the user of said word.

Not necessarily. The stereotype of "Redneck" is not necessarily a racial one, in fact, it is sourced more at a level of tolerance and education. A more pleasant way to put it is how Jeff Foxworthy describes his view of "redneck" as "a glorious lack of sophistication". There is a theme of lower education, often wilful ignorance.

In the eyes of a racist, All black people are 'N**ers', but in the eyes of a normal person, only SOME white people qualify as 'rednecks'. This is where a more educated person may get the 'ah HA' moment of clarity. 'Redneck', even if it were to be restricted to a certain race, does not encompass ALL white people. It only encompases those of a certain ilk. Whereas 'N**er' is a blanket term that represents 'all black people' to the user of said word.

Your wisdom is wise

Wow, he's liberal just because he's discussing racism. Just so you know, there are conservatives out there who find this shit disgusting, too.

Wow, he's liberal just because he's discussing racism. Just so you know, there are conservatives out there who find this shit disgusting, too.
Thank you... SO MUCH for raising this.

I hate how as soon as someone takes a stand on the side of progress or equality, they are suddenly labelled as a 'liberal'. To me, that's giving a LOT of credit to the democratic party, when I'm sure as s*** that the MAJORITY of republicans out there would take a similar stance. How many people do you think have fled the republican party because of such an attitude?

So like, black people aren't the only ones that have encountered some kind of racism. It's happened to hispanics, asians -- even caucasians! The CEO didn't say they'll swiftly address complaints raised against white people only. Racism of any kind won't be tolerated, and that's a damn good thing.

As a white guy -- I agree, but 99% of people automatically scream "racist" just because it's the popular thing to do these days, as it seems only white people are capable of being racist according to media outlets or the internet. Compounding the issue is the fact that its socially acceptable for black people use the word "Nigga" and suffer zero ill effects. If we are speaking in terms of true quality, the color of your skin shouldn't give anyone a free pass to use a word others can't.

Pieces of shit come in all colors. I dislike the meth dealing sister fucking rednecks just as much as I hate the crack smoking child support dodging ghetto fabulous fucks. What I find comical is that simply pointing out the logical error of a black person using the N word gets me called a racist. Basically it boils down to damned if you do, damned if you don't depending on the category and skin color.

So like, black people aren't the only ones that have encountered some kind of racism.

Of course not. But in the US when it comes to the issue of accommodations, hotels, motels, bathrooms, etc., blacks have a much different history. I've said it many times around in subjects about matters of race. The one thing that got under my parents skin, who grew up under Jim Crow, what THIS issue. Being told where you could go eat and shit as an entire race as a matter of law, it was a HUGE problem and it's left scars.

Of course not. But in the US when it comes to the issue of accommodations, hotels, motels, bathrooms, etc., blacks have a much different history. I've said it many times around in subjects about matters of race. The one thing that got under my parents skin, who grew up under Jim Crow, what THIS issue. Being told where you could go eat and shit as an entire race as a matter of law, it was a HUGE problem and it's left scars.

Yeah, I get that. My point was aimed towards the people that seem to think that the company will only be targeting complaints made against white people - it's the wrong view to take. I'm not white. I have experienced racism but it still doesn't change my view on white people - the vast majority I've met are fantastic, kind people that don't tolerate racist shitheads. Racists come from every culture, there isn't a single one that is above all. In the US black people have had it rough - very rough - but so have others (even if it's not at the same level blacks have experienced, it's still bad). There's racism against white people too, but a lot of people don't see it as that because they believe minorities are "punching up" and that makes it OK, when it really doesn't. No racism of any kind should be allowed - against anyone, full stop.

So I see it as a completely silly thing when someone says they're tired of everything racist thing or people who think that racist anecdotes must clearly be lies - why not just applaud that a company is taking steps to to eliminate racism? It can affect them too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get that. My point was aimed towards the people that seem to think that the company will only be targeting complaints made against white people - it's the wrong view to take. I'm not white. I have experienced racism but it still doesn't change my view on white people - the vast majority I've met are fantastic, kind people that don't tolerate racist shitheads. Racists come from every culture, there isn't a single one that is above all. In the US black people have had it rough - very rough - but so have others (even if it's not at the same level blacks have experienced, it's still bad). There's racism against white people too, but a lot of people don't see it as that because they believe minorities are "punching up" and that makes it OK, when it really doesn't. No racism of any kind should be allowed - against anyone, full stop.

So I see it as a completely silly thing when someone says they're tired of everything thing or people who think that racist anecdotes must clearly be lies - why not just applaud that a company is taking steps to to eliminate racism? It can affect them too.

I agree with what you're saying. Again, the issue of accommodations just has a very long and deep history with blacks in the US, particularly the in South. Indeed much of black culture is derived from segregation, black colleges, music, even different sports leagues at one point not all that long ago. Of course racism is color blind and most have probably been treated differently by some one else because of it. But institutional and legal racism are completely different. And its effects are much more insidious and enduring.

How sad that racism is still so prevalent.

You don't even know what racism is do you? At best this would be discrimination. A person can choose to not rent, hire or be involved with someone from a given country, or of a given color etc etc based on the idea that they might be of an undesirable disposition, such as the home owner might think a black person might be more likely to steal etc, that however does not necessarily involve the idea ones ethnic stock is superior, that being racism. Racism can have discrimination, prejudice and bigotry, but the main basis behind it has to be of a biological nature in that one is superior based on biological reasons.

It is called freedom of association, if the people don't want to rent, sell or buy something from someone of a given color or creed they should have every right to do so even if the reason behind it is "racist".

Last edited by a moderator:
Account Cancelled

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a racist. I can dislike you for what ever fucking reason I want to. If I don't want to rent my house out to specific ethnic groups, that is my decision. I am really getting sick and tired of being forced to accept and include everyone or be called a racist, homophobe, sexist, etc. What the hell is actually wrong with separate but equal. Society needs to realize that separate but equal is actually the least racist thing there is. If you want to be inclusive and invite everyone into your club, then by all means do it...but you better be damn sure to let in the racists too, because if you don't you're being exclusive.. Separate but equal allows anyone to have an organization and only allow who it wants...you don't see the lgtbq community inviting the Klan to hang out....see it works both ways. If you don't like what I stand for or who I hang out with, the leave me the fuck alone and stop trying to force me to accept you. If being a racist, et all isn't popular, then my group will fade into obscurity and that is the natural selection process. Survive, change, adapt, survive, thrive or die.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a racist. I can dislike you for what ever fucking reason I want to. If I don't want to rent my house out to specific ethnic groups, that is my decision. I am really getting sick and tired of being forced to accept and include everyone or be called a racist, homophobe, sexist, etc. What the hell is actually wrong with separate but equal. Society needs to realize that separate but equal is actually the least racist thing there is. If you want to be inclusive and invite everyone into your club, then by all means do it...but you better be damn sure to let in the racists too, because if you don't you're being exclusive.. Separate but equal allows anyone to have an organization and only allow who it wants...you don't see the lgtbq community inviting the Klan to hang out....see it works both ways. If you don't like what I stand for or who I hang out with, the leave me the fuck alone and stop trying to force me to accept you. If being a racist, et all isn't popular, then my group will fade into obscurity and that is the natural selection process. Survive, change, adapt, survive, thrive or die.

I really wish I could laugh at you and call it a troll post, but it seems you're actually serious about what you're saying. Wow.

I applied for a position with Big Brothers in Denver. Was denied. "Thanks for applying but we don't need any volunteers at this time." I knew *that* wasn't true.
Re-applied identifying as Hispanic and used a Hispanic sounding last name - was asked to come in right away. Racism is only racism when white people do it.

Pretty sure the guy posted screenshots. Good enough?

I really wish I could laugh at you and call it a troll post, but it seems you're actually serious about what you're saying. Wow.

Why not? It makes perfect sense, it is also the only thing that matches up with the whole "fair" thing people are screaming for, when really the "fair" they want is not fair because it is special treatment based on color or creed.

I applied for a position with Big Brothers in Denver. Was denied. "Thanks for applying but we don't need any volunteers at this time." I knew *that* wasn't true.
Re-applied identifying as Hispanic and used a Hispanic sounding last name - was asked to come in right away. Racism is only racism when white people do it.

Again, that is not racist, at best it is discrimination, but you have no proof they did that based on thinking they are biologically superior to you. However, even if it was, they should have every right to do so, again, right of association. If you want the freedom to do, act and associate with who you like, you sometimes have to deal with the fact that people are not going to like you.

You don't even know what racism is do you?

Actually, I do, from more than one angle. I'm not prepared to go into details here but I'll just say that you might want to pause before jumping to an erroneous conclusion.

Actually, I do, from more than one angle. I'm not prepared to go into details here but I'll just say that you might want to pause before jumping to an erroneous conclusion.

You called discrimination racism, but have no proof it was based on the home owner thinking they were biologically superior. This is all I had to go on, and is a very, VERY common use of it. Even the media uses terms like this that do not fit, but use them because it invokes emotions. I am a white male, grew up dirt poor, worked my way up the chain in my jobs, had a few jobs where 99% of the work force was Hispanic, and I will agree with others here, that if you think white people are judgmental, try working with them. They are not shy about it either and will toss it in your face and tell you that you are not getting more money or getting promoted because you are not Hispanic. However people do not consider such things racism because I am white and male and only goes to show that it is not fair treatment these people want, but special treatment for some or all skin colors that are not white. This is racism above all and government sponsored and funded racism at that.

However, even if said home owner did it on the grounds of racism, it is their home and their rental, they should be allowed freedom of association for whatever reason they like. Now, not being allowed on Airbnb is also fine, because Airbnb should also have freedom of association and not allow whoever they like on their service. Also, had the home owner and renter already entered into an agreed contract for the rental, the home owner should be held for breech of contract, that they freely entered into.

I am absolutely serious. The thing is, I don't give a fuck what you are, what color you, what kind of sex you want to have, etc, I just really want to be left alone and not be forced to "accept" everything. I have gay friends, black friends, racist friends, evangelical friends, etc. The only thing I expect of my friends is for them to listen to my perspective and I will listen to theirs. It is sort of a mutual respect thing, oh, and we generally don't bring up stupid shit like politics, etc when talking. However, we often have healthy debates about opinion, we just know when to walk away.
I truly believe on the statement, "I don't have to agree with what you want to say, but I will defend to death your right to say it." And the various iterations of that Voltaire quote. If you expect me to listen to your side about shit, then listen to mine; take from it whatever you want, but respect that it is just my opinion. Who knows, maybe you'll have some brilliant insight and perspective that I've never considered and I will learn something, or at the very least, ponder it.
That is the whole goddamed point; there are as many opinions in the world as there are stars in the universe, freaking have some common decency and listen to them. Consider them, dismiss them, embrace them, but fucking listen, you might just learn something. And if you don't, then that's cool too.

How sad that racism is still so prevalent.

It's prevalent because it's a perfectly natural human reaction. No amount of legislation will get rid of it because human beings are generally hardwired to be defensive towards that which isn't like them. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that the real world doesn't give two fucks about your tolerances or intolerances. Go live outside of the US and see what real racism looks like. Enjoy.

You can't live in Compton because it was once the heart of Los Angeles' brutal gang land... You could get shot, but then so could literally anyone/anything else that moves. It's not like everyone is best buds there the rest of the time when you're not there.

Back