Air pocket in CPU block, does not go away.

Bop

2[H]4U
I got my Koolance Exos-AL the other day and set it up. I am using the CPU-300 block and the NV2 block. The top right of the CPU cooler has a block chamber and half of the block is an air pocket that doesnt go away. I tilted the system to get the air to go in the tubing but 30 mins later its back to square one and the pocket is back.

This is my first watercooling setup so I'm not sure how to resolve this so any help will be appreciated.

Make sure your res is filled to the max. If there is a good amount of air in the res the air will get circulated back around to the block. Only took a few hours for all the air in my blocks to dissapear as long as my res was filled fully. Good Luck

I topped the res off so whenever I tighten it back down a little bit of coolant seeps out. I'm stumped on this one.

There is still some space left in the res and I can't top that off no matter what so I guess there is some air in there.

Should I just run the system longer and hope it filters it out? The air pocket seems to just be sitting at the top of the CPU block, on top of one of the hoses. It has been like that for 2 days.

try tightening your hose clamps. it's possible that air is getting in there.

I had the same problem with my Koolance case and CPU-200G. I found that reversing the tubing fixed it. I have a tower case; instead of the top connector of the CPU-200G being the input and the lower connector the output, I used the lower as input and the upper as output.

Perhaps a picture will help:
PA103304.JPG

If you aren't already doing this, you should make sure that the lower connection to the block is the cold water feed. You want the water flow to be going the same way the bubbles want to go, namely up. You're not very likely to get a bubble to be driven all the way down to the bottom to leave the block when it's constantly trying to rise back to the top.

Had the same problem,
I disconnected the main power to board connector(20 pin) put the jumper in it and turned on the EXOS. As if to test it for leaks. Than I took the unmounted block and turned it till the air ran up and away. All is as it should be now.

Don't worry about it. Have a beer and frag away. It will disappear in a week or so...

The way my block is mounted has the two chambers on the block on top and the tubes flow down from it. So the left side is where the cold water goes and the right side feeds to my graphics card.

I moved the block so all the air would go away last night but I wake up and then I see an air pocket back in the block again.

Also, is it normal for there to be condensation in the res?

Bop said:

It's not a problem. You've got warm water in there, there's naturally going to be vapor in whatever air there is in the res.

Well, there's your 'problem'. That's why you're getting air trapped there. But it really shouldn't matter. Your block isn't doing much cooling at the edge anyway.

Bop said:
The way my block is mounted has the two chambers on the block on top and the tubes flow down from it. So the left side is where the cold water goes and the right side feeds to my graphics card.

I moved the block so all the air would go away last night but I wake up and then I see an air pocket back in the block again.

Well when I left it on overnight I ran just the cooling system and had my case upside down so the tubes would be pushing the water down into the blocks. The air pocket came back and it was at the top of the block.

Well as others have said, it will probably go away in time on its own. Unless you're pulling air back out the reservoir in which case you might always have a bubble or two in the lines somewhere.

My Exos tends to pull air from the res into the lines unless the res is very full, actually more full than you can get by just adding water in the normal way. I use a syringe with a curved needle to reach in and back up to draw trapped air out. A PITA, but it's dead silent, and no bubbles in the lines.

Make certain you're connections are tight, I've seen air stream into the lines through a connection that's not tight. Other than that, if your temps are good leave it be and just be grateful it's not leaking :eek: :D

I thought if I ran the system long enough that the air bubble would get pushed out. All it did was get bigger. I decided to reverse the lines after a 1/3rd of the block was filled with air.

I used plyers to make sure the hoses were extra tight. I think the problem has gone away, I tilted my case one last time and I havn't seen air bubbles for the past day or so. Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: Crap, now a buble is forming in the same spot... never ending cycle. :(

Bop said:
EDIT: Crap, now a buble is forming in the same spot... never ending cycle. :(
Same thing happened to me. I thought I'd gotten it take care of several times. I hoped so much that I wouldn't need to drain the system to redo the lines, but I eventually gave in.

Back