Air Force Prepares to Dismantle HAARP

Here's an earlier write-up about it with more/better explanations and numbers: Air Force plans to pull plug on Alaska's controversial HAARP facility it's a real shame that it's being shut down, big loss to the science community.

Contrary to claims of being super secret it was actually fairly easy to participate in research that happened there and it didn't require any kind of classified access, just a national agency background check.

The loss of HAARP continues a downward trend in US spending on science for discovery's sake. While other countries step up their publicly funded scientific research we are shrinking it and hoping that the private industry will step in and fill the research gap.

I get that we are broke and we have to save somewhere, but science made this the at one time most powerful country on Earth while we are now going the way of other formerly important nations. It's just a shame.

This is also the facility that some conspiracy theorist claim was a weather control device, an earthquake machine that intentionally caused Fukushima, a mind control device or even a death ray.

Here's an earlier write-up about it with more/better explanations and numbers: Air Force plans to pull plug on Alaska's controversial HAARP facility it's a real shame that it's being shut down, big loss to the science community.

Contrary to claims of being super secret it was actually fairly easy to participate in research that happened there and it didn't require any kind of classified access, just a national agency background check.

The loss of HAARP continues a downward trend in US spending on science for discovery's sake. While other countries step up their publicly funded scientific research we are shrinking it and hoping that the private industry will step in and fill the research gap.

I get that we are broke and we have to save somewhere, but science made this the at one time most powerful country on Earth while we are now going the way of other formerly important nations. It's just a shame.

But, what's more important, doing research and development to advance human civilization, or making sure illegal immigrants have free healthcare privs?

But, what's more important, doing research and development to advance human civilization, or making sure illegal immigrants have free healthcare privs?

What privs? They aren't covered by the affordable care act. Most European countries have some form of universal health care and they're doing more pure/theoretical work than we are. The Large Hadron Collider was going to be in Texas until Congress killed it. Now France has it.

Your line of thinking is the problem. Conservatives in the 90s could say they 'saved taxpayers millions' by cutting relatively tiny science programs like SETI while kicking the can down the road on real finantial issues like health care reform.

If the US would cut down their military spending to half, it would still more than double that of Russia and China together and there would be plenty of money for almost everything a government "of the people, for the people" could think of - including science and space exploration for the sake of it.

Sorry, just a dream. I've seen to much Bill Hicks, I guess.

bah lack of edit
The SSC's planned collision energy of 40 TeV is five times the current 8 TeV of its European counterpart, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Geneva

Not to be too picky or anything, but I'm pretty sure it's in Switzerland.

It runs between both countries.
Location_Large_Hadron_Collider.PNG

US politicians of both major parties have become concerned only with the next election cycle, not the welfare of the country. Obama and the Democrats killed US manned space flight so they could say "Look at all of the money we saved" while running up record deficits and passing the ACA aka Obamacare and calling it health care reform. The Republicans under Bush were not any better. They gave us the Patriot act and Homeland Security, calling it good for our safety and using 911 to run up then record deficits.

I suggest that we all need to ask candidates questions they probably haven't prepared for on topics like copyright reform, net neutrality, HARP funding, manned space flight and their opinion on EULA legal status. Their answers on these topics will likely give a far better insight to that candidate then their canned response to questions on immigration, climate, and healthcare.

What privs? They aren't covered by the affordable care act. Most European countries have some form of universal health care and they're doing more pure/theoretical work than we are. The Large Hadron Collider was going to be in Texas until Congress killed it. Now France has it.

Your line of thinking is the problem. Conservatives in the 90s could say they 'saved taxpayers millions' by cutting relatively tiny science programs like SETI while kicking the can down the road on real finantial issues like health care reform.

I would dare say your line of thinking is the problem, the blatant ignorance to the fact that a lot of democrats would love to include illegals (for votes). Quit defending the BS, I'm not, and I'm not really a conservative either. Politicians on both sides are screwing us with over reactive policy thinking and packing each others pockets for political favors. So, in short quit defending these assholes and wake up to the reality of what they are trying to do. It isn't good for any of us in the end. /rant I'm not gonna return to this thread, so flame away if you want. :D

US politicians of both major parties have become concerned only with the next election cycle, not the welfare of the country. Obama and the Democrats killed US manned space flight so they could say "Look at all of the money we saved"...

Nope. Look up the Space Launch System. If anything Obama got the manned space program back on track. The real issue is that since NASA's budget isn't growing the cost of developing the new launcher cuts into their research programs, not to mention they're also funding private corporations like SpaceX for smaller launch vehicles to service the ISS.

This is another problem with these debates. The country is so partisan and there's so much misinformation floating around that we're all effectively living in different realities. We can't even agree on basic facts about our current situation.

Causing natural disasters billions of economic damage.
Health issues around the globe caused by the spraying of the ionosphere electrical grid. Think about the environmental damage.
Wasting tons of natural resouce to power the thing.
Millions of dead fish, whales, birds, animals, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPCN-hS88

Everything down the drain. Like when the decepticon first arrived on cybertron those autobots had a unlimited energy suppy and utopia and after it pretty much ended cybertron.

What haven't we opposite of benefiting from the crap technology.

Causing natural disasters billions of economic damage.
Health issues around the globe caused by the spraying of the ionosphere electrical grid. Think about the environmental damage.
Wasting tons of natural resouce to power the thing.
Millions of dead fish, whales, birds, animals, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPCN-hS88

Everything down the drain. Like when the decepticon first arrived on cybertron those autobots had a unlimited energy suppy and utopia and after it pretty much ended cybertron.

What haven't we opposite of benefiting from the crap technology.

If a disaster is man-made, it isn't natural.

Spraying of the what? Do you even know what the ionosphere is? It's not a "grid".

I don't even know what that last sentence is supposed to mean.

BTW, your transformers bit doesn't make any sense either. The decepticons were a faction of cybertronians, not invaders. Nor was cybertron an "unlimited energy utopia". You can't even get things about Transformers right, and we're supposed to take anything else you say seriously about a government research program?

HAARP huh?

I thought we dealt with this around 30 years ago!

view_13_remo-williams-the-adventure_jpg.jpg

You do realize your country has a military black budget that eclipses all other nations entire military budgets.
You aren't saving money or backing off at all. You are just a humble citizen, hence, just not important enough to know what they are spending it on.

As a Civ player, this should be obvious. I sold all my science buildings to save on the upkeep costs and the corporations...

Wait, now I have no science. Well kids, it was a good run - now, who wants to learn about lost technology? :eek:

Isn't it amazing how real science projects lose funding yet we can fund the study of bull shit. A prime example is the study they did on sickly shrimp by running them on a treadmill.

Coming from a fellow American that doesn't identify with either of the major parties, you seem like the angry American that isn't sure who or what to be angry at, but just knows that he / she wants to be angry.

HAARP huh?

I thought we dealt with this around 30 years ago!

view_13_remo-williams-the-adventure_jpg.jpg

I can't recall an episode where Janeway wore a 20th century military uniform, and I watched Voyager religiously.

Nope. Look up the Space Launch System. If anything Obama got the manned space program back on track. The real issue is that since NASA's budget isn't growing the cost of developing the new launcher cuts into their research programs, not to mention they're also funding private corporations like SpaceX for smaller launch vehicles to service the ISS.

This is another problem with these debates. The country is so partisan and there's so much misinformation floating around that we're all effectively living in different realities. We can't even agree on basic facts about our current situation.

You need to lay off the crack pipe and of all things stop drinking the koolaid. You must be high if you think the O got the manned flight program back on track.

Looks strikingly similar to the low cost radar array the soviets used. It was a series of inexpensive antenna arrays which coherirently fedd off eaches carrier to pick up airborn objects. It was a heck of a lot cheaper then large radar dish arrays.

Short of adding a trillion dollars to Nasa's budget, the space program is actually headed into the next logical direciton; civilian managed. It has always been a goal to promote civilian funded space travel, the problem was in decades past that it was simply too expensive. NASA never liked spending half a billion per shuttle launch, and now they dont have to (nor will they have to rely on the Russians in the future). The changes to their budget will also help push them back to the drawing board to continue building newer and better vehicles instead of the poorly implemented shuttle.

I can't recall an episode where Janeway wore a 20th century military uniform, and I watched Voyager religiously.

Good thing she lost some weight after joining Starfleet.

Looks strikingly similar to the low cost radar array the soviets used. It was a series of inexpensive antenna arrays which coherirently fedd off eaches carrier to pick up airborn objects. It was a heck of a lot cheaper then large radar dish arrays.

They claim that russians have developed a long wave length radar for decades that mostly defeats stealth tech because the stealth surfaces are designed for modern short wave radars.

It was a Northrop designer IIRC.

would love to include illegals (for votes).
Illegals can't vote.

And the rest of your post doesn't even address any of his points, which very thoroughly disproved your earlier comment to be incorrect in every way just by pointing out the facts. WTH is the point of even responding to anyone if you're just going to do a half assed job of repeating the usual right wing talking points/conspiracies?

I mean if anyone wants to see that stuff its not hard to find and chances are he has already seen it. Its completely uninteresting at best and at worst just shits up the thread.

Isn't it amazing how real science projects lose funding yet we can fund the study of bull shit. A prime example is the study they did on sickly shrimp by running them on a treadmill.
They learn an awful lot by doing 'silly' research like this, if you don't understand what they're doing and why don't knock it.

You need to lay off the crack pipe and of all things stop drinking the koolaid. You must be high if you think the O got the manned flight program back on track.

You proved his point right there.

Illegals can't vote.

99% of all Democrats are illegal communist phony absentee voters that suck every last handout from the pockets of good ol' boy hard working Americans. It's a widely known fact, but the elitist liberal media would never cover that story because the aliens would retaliate by abducting them instead of Billy Ray and Jolene Lynn.

I know I know, I just can't pass up an opportunity to reference Star Trek. :D

What an awesome movie this was, I just saw it by chance late night when I was bored. Its a bit out there but I enjoyed it.

Also there is plenty of stuff on HAARP out there I'd suggest watching Jesse Ventura's conspiracy theory episode on it which covers all of the rumors/possibilities of what HAARP really is. To me the most likely scenario is this device (or some other device) was used to mess with the weather by manipulating the jet stream and other things. Frankly, I'm happy they are shutting it down.

Back