Air Duct no more!

ocphangaz

Gawd
well, after serving me more than 1 year, i guess the air duct have to go!
wiring_after1.jpg

now comes AIR RAMP! (Ideas tribute to dell and HP ):p (sorry for the crappy pics... i took with my camera phone)

Now with Thermalright XP-90
Image%28111%29.jpg

For the AIR RAMP

Need? 2 x 50pcs CDR drum cover

Image%28110%29.jpg

because of the position of the XP-90, the rear 120mm fan have to go.. i've position the XP-90 so that my Delta Cross Flow will blow on the mosfets too :D

Initial fitting and testing
Image%28113%29.jpg

Image%28114%29.jpg

Next spray paint

Image%28115%29.jpg

Finale!
Image%28118%29.jpg

ok, pretty innovative - my hat's off to you. but why delta? why not Tornado? :)

thats pretty cool looking, what phone did you use, and does the CD rom sleeve dampen the noise at all. i might have to try it with my water cooling wink...wink...

god damn...howd u manage to get to stay there?
and how many cd thingy is that? 50 cd thingy or 100?

One bad thing. If the computer is near a wall, then you risk pulling in hot air off the PSU.

codeflux said:
ok, pretty innovative - my hat's off to you. but why delta? why not Tornado? :)

ahem... In malaysia RM3.80 = USD1.00

Delta costs only RM45
While Tornado RM55

specs from internet i got is that the delta runs at 1.0A 4800RPM 110CFM
but the one i got here is 1.5A.. (donp true or not)

also the initial idea was to run it on either 5V or 12V throught a fan controller i designed. since tornado ONLY can run from 7V, while delta can run at 5V.. this was the best choice that that time

xdviper said:
god damn...howd u manage to get to stay there?
and how many cd thingy is that? 50 cd thingy or 100?

50cd spindle...

there is a purple bracket used to hold a 120mm fan... just improvise from there

OKANG said:
I think you should use some ideas from this article:

http://overclockers.com/tips1187/

It'd probably look better and work better than anything you've tried so far.

Nice!

current setting,

air intake:
CPU 110CFM
60mm fan at PCI 40CFM
120mm front case 93CFM
total 243CFM

since i have only PSU fan to push the air out... i found that removing one bezel in front solve the problem. now the air is coming out of PSU and bezel.

one thing i noticed is that my PWM readings are much much cooler.. almost the same as the system temp(10C lower).. not the CPU temp as before

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i can barely look at that thing.
First of all, it looks like a bulky piece of plastic that is just letting the air sit in it...
At least put a fan in the back to use for exaust...
I dont know man, i just cant stand how it looks! Maybe its just me, but why do you need the wind tunnel at all?
Save your time, buy a zalman or that nice thermalright one and then dont worry about windtunnel stuff.
I think its just to cluttered. or something like that. ugh.

TVersetti said:
...At least put a fan in the back to use for exaust...
Save your time, buy a zalman or that nice thermalright one and then dont worry about windtunnel stuff.

That *is* the nice thermalright one (XP-90) lol. The duct lets the fan that is on top of the CPU draw air straight from the cool outside of the case, instead of the air that is already warm inside. the air flows INTO the case, not out.

TVersetti said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i can barely look at that thing.
First of all, it looks like a bulky piece of plastic that is just letting the air sit in it...
At least put a fan in the back to use for exaust...
I dont know man, i just cant stand how it looks! Maybe its just me, but why do you need the wind tunnel at all?

Well Some ppl like DIY. They like the satisfaction they get from what they do so don't "ugh" the duct that he did.

On topic: It's cool and it works but damn get a filter or something it'll suck up dust that's for sure.

Hey, ocphangaz,
What case is that?
Cos it looks identical to mine... Its an asus AR6 or something?

761076107610!

didnt want to get a series 60 so i went....

623062306230!

which i fondly call the "series 50" OH SNAP

HOWS THAT FOR OFF TOPIC!?

anyhoo man, nice work on a cool ass duct. me personally, i gues i still wanna hear if you think the sound was dampened. its all about soundd dampening for me. ive got collected faim, sound proofing, ducts, plastic, foam core.... all that, i just wanna take my time to make my own duct as i try to figure out the best balance for some sound dampening.

basically when the cd drives aint moving, my comp needs to be as quiet as my powerbook, thats the aim!

nice job, ghetto mods rule :D

Now get down the local motor store and pick up some aluminium mesh and make a cheapo air filter and you're laughin

DeuceTrinal said:
That *is* the nice thermalright one (XP-90) lol. The duct lets the fan that is on top of the CPU draw air straight from the cool outside of the case, instead of the air that is already warm inside. the air flows INTO the case, not out.

That's questionable. Yes it will intake the "cooler" air outside. But the warmer air inside the case is being expelled from the PSU fan right obove it. And then getting sucked in through the 120mm hole?

I'm gonna have to weigh in on the side of the above poster. Sure, air is coming directly in from the outside, but it's right below the the hottest air exhaust. And, I'd be willing to wager that the CPU fan sucks in more air than the PSU fan exhausts, which makes me think that it's only recycling heat, and not expelling it from the system.

CGFMaster said:
That's questionable. Yes it will intake the "cooler" air outside. But the warmer air inside the case is being expelled from the PSU fan right obove it. And then getting sucked in through the 120mm hole?

I keep thinking "hot air rises" when I think about warm PSU air coming out right above his "duct". I don't know if the duct works well or not, but I don't think that it is doing any harm. Plus it looks interesting, which is one of the biggest reasons people mod cases anyways.

Its always nice to see another home-made cooling solution that anyone can make with "trash" they have laying around. Kudos for the creativity!

Maybe this mod can help someone with high temps and no money keep their CPU alive for a while longer.

Man I like the idea. I don't know if I have the "ghetto" skills to do it. I definitely need to do something like this.

CGFMaster said:

currently it's a problem too... :(

gonna try the chimney idea :D

but now on load the max temp with the fans set at low speed is only 45C! while the system temp was 40C

Astroman said:
Its always nice to see another home-made cooling solution that anyone can make with "trash" they have laying around. Kudos for the creativity!

Maybe this mod can help someone with high temps and no money keep their CPU alive for a while longer.

Initially without the duct, with closed casing, i'm getting temps up to 48C!

now i'm getting up to only 45C with fans set at low speed (7V)

Sounds great. With that overclock I'm surprised you aren't seeing much higher temps. My 2.4c on my old IS7 went up over 60c at load even using the Zalman 6000AlCu and a bunch of crazy loud TT smartfans.

Probably just another mobo reporting difference, but the good thing is that you can see a 3C drop in temps from a cheapo mod like this. nice job.

sorry i sounded so angry, i was having a bad day.
I would just not trade an open case for a full one because of a huge spindle.
Thanks

Astroman said:
Sounds great. With that overclock I'm surprised you aren't seeing much higher temps. My 2.4c on my old IS7 went up over 60c at load even using the Zalman 6000AlCu and a bunch of crazy loud TT smartfans.

Probably just another mobo reporting difference, but the good thing is that you can see a 3C drop in temps from a cheapo mod like this. nice job.

60C at load? that was my temp when i was using stock HSF with the TIM supplied by Intel :p

wow... what a nostalgic thread...

after 6 years the PC is still running strong with 24/7 OC at 3.0Ghz.. gone through 2 graphic cards X800XT and also now running on 7900GS... damn i'm olskool..

this mod has kept my pc running stable all these years. the mesh is doing it's job and i have 2 40mm delta fans; one on PCI slots and one on the floppy disc tray... removed the floppy disk and put in a 40mm exhaust fan.

upgraded the rams to 1.5Gb running at 2-2-2-5 latency. that is the lowest it can go.

will post some updated pics of this grandpa.

images aren't loading for me, I'm really interested in what this project looks like.

Last edited:
NECRO POSTING FTW!!!

At least it was the OP that did it. I too would like to see the pictures, from this thread that has risen from the dead.

Back