Air Cooling: Use 3 pin fan splitters off motherboard and speedfan for quiet PC!

darren700

Limp Gawd
Hey All,

I run a 800D with a ton of fans in it (11 fans). And as you could guess, while the cooling is great its really loud. I decided i wanted someway of having the computer automatically control most if not all the fans based on temperature...

Speedfan is a godsend for this. The problem is my motherboard (P6T Deluxe V1) only has 3 plugs for controlled fans. (plus another for CPU). Just using the 4 fans (including CPU) with speed control only showed a slight decrease in noise.

So i ordered 3 of these:
NZXT Premium Sleeved Computer Cables 3PIN Fan 2 Male to 1 Female Y-SPLITTER Cable
Then i hooked up a total of 7 fans to the motherboard (keep in mind to check the mobo's max amperage output vs your fans first to make sure you are not drawing too much power.)

The only ones not being controlled are two of the top fans and the two hard drive fans, which arent very loud anyways.

all i can say is WOW, what a difference! its dead quiet now, but as soon as temperature spikes all fans ramp up based on the curve i set in speedfan.

This is great for me, most of the time i have headphones on so noise is not an issue, but when i dont have them all the fan whine gets to me. So this is the best of both worlds, dead quiet until i need to do something cpu or gpu intensive, and i dont even have to think about it since speedfan does such a good job.

If you find your computer too loud i highly suggest trying this!

Back